“Not up to Renaissance expectations” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Pittsburgh
“Not up to Renaissance expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a work trip. This hotel is in need of a massive makeover. There is virtually no parking available in front of the hotel, so you have to park in the dimly lit back lot. In addition, it is not a very pedestrian friendly walk to the back entrance of the hotel and there is little signage directing you to the entrance. I was first placed in a smaller than average corner king room. I complained and was moved to an average king. All one can hear at night is wind when staying in a room in the front part of the hotel. Poor insulation and old windows. The bathroom is teeny tiny, the wifi ans tv satellite connections are bad, and the concierge lounge is below average. The concierge lounge floor is painted black(?) and it was very dark in the lounge and the food was not what I am used to in a Marriott concierge lounge. The staff is made up of very nice people and the hotel is clean but overall, this is not a place that I would recommend.

• Stayed March 2013
RenAVL, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Asheville Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback.From the nature of your comments, it appears we fell considerably short in our efforts to provide the first class experience you have come to expect from a hotel of our caliber. I will pass on the information about the back parking lot, internet, television, and concierge lounge to the appropriate managers. If you would like to speak with me in person about your stay, please do not hesitiate to contact me. Thank you again.
Terri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

What more can you ask for? Plush rooms with great linens and decor. A trendy lobby and bar area. Nice outdoor space. A fantastic workout and indoor pool area. Walking distance to all of the great entertainment, shopping and food Asheville has to offer. Staff are friendly and responsive to questions and requests. I hope to stay again!

• Stayed March 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for the positive feedback. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is my second attempt at this review. The first one was interrupted and frankly I thought I might have been a little mean in my review. As many of you deducted fans know, I like to try and make at least one nice comment whenever possible. This is the case with this hotel, not that I cannot say nice things there were plenty. It's just that I cannot see myself going out of my way to stay here again. The place just didn't have "it" whatever "it" is that makes you say "WOW" "YES" "ALRIGHT" let's go back there.

First things first, if you get lost getting there you should not be driving a car in the first place. The hotel has great access in and out, and to all roads. Not so much if you want to quick walk but for some the varying distances probably isn't too bad. The parking lot, easy access is an understatement. It was very convenient and even though a very large tattoo convention was taking place, there was enough parking.

As you walk into the lobby the only real negative thing I can refer to is the rolling eyes and poor body language we received from the bellman when we declined assistance for our 2 little carry on bags. The lobby itself, not really sure what the owners were shooting for but a mix of complementary and modern did not inspire but rather make you say "um, yea OK..." in your mind.

The front desk staff -- FREAKING AMAZING! The two ladies I dealt with were funny, energized, and very knowledgeable about our group and activities in this artist influenced city. The room, one appearance was nice but I was not impressed with the human hairs on the bathroom door [front and back]. Nor was I thrilled to be frozen or boiled alive by the water in the shower that could not make up it's mind which way it wanted to come out.

The room next to mine had a toilet running or some other kind of issue because the noise kept me awake most of the night. Not to mention the 4:15AM wake up of the returning drunks slamming doors and yelling at each other as they came off the elevators onto the 3rd floor.

Trying to eat brunch Sunday was a treat, not only because the Sous Chef was funny and good very well [food was well worth it] but the new language I learned from the tattoo artists that were allowed unchecked to stand at one end of the restaurant and yell to the other end at their still hung over buddies.

Throughout the stay you took a chance when getting on or off the elevator. What I mean by that were again some of the other "colorfully decorated" guests attending the convention [not mine by the way] either left beer cans on the rails, spilled the beer in your direction or gave you contact high from Marijuana while you were trapped on the elevators with them.

The hotel had special duty police officers in the ballroom area but they should have been patrolling the entire property. Being a retired LE with tattoos myself, I like a good weekend but come on when mixing a professional conference with a good example of stereo type of white/gypsy trash convention is not good for business. I would say the sales staff did not think this out entirely.

The pool was very nice and appeared to be family friendly especially since it was in doors. The exercise room was not special but clean and odor free.

Room Tip: I wish I could offer you some. The views aren't that impressive, mostly roof tops.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Although I am pleased to hear of the service you received from the front desk and the Chef, I am regretful that the rest of your visit was not up to our standards or yours. If you would like to speak with me in more detail, please do not hesitate. Thank you again for your feedback.
Terri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Upon entering the lobby,I could tell they had done a nice renovation.A fireplace and very well appointed furnishings made entering a pleasure.The staff at the front desk was attentive and friendly.I was very pleased that they were able to accomodate my request for a very early check in,10am! The room was very clean,loved the bathroom and Aveeda products.My view from the tenth floor was nice.Pleasant suprise,noise level outside of my room was very low.The pool on the second floor was so clean,the ladies locker room had changing rooms,showers and plenty of plush towels.Exercise room was much larger than expected.

Room Tip: Get a city room view if possible,my room tenth story was so quite.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback! Our pool is certainly one of our hidden gems and I am glad to hear that the front desk was accomodating. We look forward to serving you in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Cant really complain about much of anything. Solid, well kept business hotel. Nice sized rooms, comfortable bed, well functioning bathroom. Every one was quite nice, friendly and service was good. Connection to sat. TV was less then perfect. Great location. Need some sort of shuttle service to airport. Outrageous taxi fees to airport. Good solid hotel choice. Would certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. I apologize for the inconvenience that the TV caused and I will certainly address that. I am happy you enjoyed the rest of your visit. Thank you again.
Clemson, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The hotel was under renovation during a previous stay. The lobby is now warm, modern, and inviting. The restaurant sleek and great food. Prices were as expected and the location and proximity to things is unmatched.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a city view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Writer's Bistro, We hope to see you again soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a month for work. The staff was very helpful and professional. the rooms were very clean and spacious.The internet was fast. The lounge on the top floor always provided great food. Usually, egg rolls, fajitas, or other small finger foods. The staff up there, especially Eric, were always very friendly and welcoming. The same goes for the gentlemen who staffs the lounge in the mornings.The staff treats Platinum members very well. The hotel is located within a 5 min walk to downtown Asheville. Staff also gives great recomendations on where to go in town. I would gladly come back any time in the future. The only down side that I could see was the lack of a business center. However, the front desk offered to let me use their facilities to fax/print documents. They were extremley helpfull. Lounge also had a printer that one could print work info from. I would give this hotel a rating of 9/10. Overall, It is a top notch place to stay! Best hotel I've stayed at in years.

Room Tip: try to pick a room on the top floor. the view is wonderful on either side of the building.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am so thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and that we were able to help you discover the downtown area. We look forward to serving you in the near future!

Been to Renaissance Asheville Hotel? Share your experiences!