“Better than expected.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 59 hotels in Asheville
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
“Better than expected.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This hotel appears to be outdated and over-priced at first glance, however, I was able to book for a decent price ($161 a night for a December weekend) so I took the chance. 3 of my closest girlfriends and I met up in Asheville for a weekend girls trip, so the four of us shared a room with two queen beds for two nights. The interior of the hotel is beautiful, very clean, modern and bright- not what you expect from the outside.

The room was clean (though it had the atrocious carpet that I expect in any hotel), the beds comfortable and space adequate. We had a corner room on a high floor, which was slightly larger than a regular room. The mini-fridge came in useful and the air conditioner worked great. The bathroom was very small, but functional and clean. The service was ok- as in all of Asheville, everyone was very friendly. The hotel was sold out due to a few weddings, so it did take longer for bell service and room service. I was disappointed in a room service order I placed prior to the trip- we were celebrating a pregnancy so I ordered a bottle of sweet champagne, a glass of orange juice and chocolate covered strawberries. The order arrived over 30 minutes late and though I requested 4 glasses, we only recieved 2. This was a bit of a blow to my surprise because it took almost 15 minutes to get the other 2 glasses. The champagne was awful- I would have been better bringing my own. The strawberries were wonderful. They also charged me more than what was listed on the website, and I think the $10 difference was a bit steep for a glass of orange juice. I had also requested extra towels and we had to call twice to get them.

The hotel is in a great location- within walking distance of downtown and it is a safe neighborhood, well-lit with lots of people around. We consulted the conceierge for dinner recommendations and he was very helpful. The hotel is about a 10 minute drive to Biltmore.

I would stay here again, but I would not pay their average price ($209 per night). I am a Marriott Rewards member and am still waiting for my final bill to be emailed to me- as of right now, more has been charged to my card than expected so I would like to see the final bill.

Room Tip: Request a corner room on a high floor, but be prepared to wait awhile for elevators if they are busy...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

713 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Renaissance in Asheville doesn't look like much from the outside. Yeah, it's big, but the exterior looks dated. Inside, you notice the elegance that comes with being inside a FS hotel. My stay was on the concierge floor. I didn't have any problems with the room size, certainly plenty for one. Same can be said about the bathroom..if it's just one person, it's plenty. I can see how it could be tight quarters with another person.

Service throughout was excellent. Everyone was friendly, answered my questions, helped me get around. Breakfast within club lounge was limited, I had better selections at other Marriott FS properties. Nevertheless, I've stayed at a few hotels here in Asheville (that's not saying much..maybe 5?), but the Renaissance was the best of the bunch so far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My first stay at the Renaissance was disappointing due to the location of my room. For my next stay Terri, the Front Desk Manager, booked me in a corner room (high floor); we were in town attending Bel Chere, Asheville’s annual music festival. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay so much we are back AGAIN now, for 8 nights.

First, the corner rooms are more spacious and very quiet. Even when we were in town for Bel Chere, there was relatively no noise.

This visit we are on the road for a total of 12 days. We both packed a LOT! There are plenty of drawers and ample closet space to accommodate us both. The closets are spacious enough to house our two large suit-cases while also leaving room for multiple pairs of shoes on the floor. Although the bathroom is relatively small, the counter is very spacious and there is a nice "ledge" underneath to also store toiletries.

The location is exceptional. During Bel Chere we never moved our car! The Renaissance is within walking distance of the downtown area and all the great dining establishments! There is also a Starbucks located down the street (opposite direction of downtown), which is always a plus for me! You are also a short drive from the Grove Park Inn and Biltmore Estate.

The staff is accommodating and friendly. And I appreciate the free Wi-Fi, parking and the refrigerator in the room. If you are traveling on business (my boyfriend and I always have our lap-tops available and plugged in), the desk is large enough for two people with a number of outlets to accommodate all our technology!

I call this my Asheville home because my boyfriend and I are looking to possibly relocate to Asheville. And as we continue to come back to learn more about the area and check into the housing market, the Renaissance Hotel IS home for us, and most important. . . .feels like home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Renaissance hotel
Asheville

The room was clean, but small. The bathroom was also small. Each room has a "cooler". It looks like a mini fridge but it does not keep things really cold ( still nice to have).
The AC in the room was SO loud. Apparently this is not the case in every room. My friend said her AC made a small clicking noise, and it was not the roaring sound mine made.
I had a room with a king size bed. I was traveling with a 8 month old and with the pack and play the space was a little tight. My friend was traveling with an 8 month old and a three year old. She stayed in a room with two queen sized bed. She had a ton of room!
I love the location of this hotel. It was nice to go out for meals without hanging load all of the children in the car. Downtown Asheville is right outside of the hotel's back door.
Breakfast in the Hotel restaurant was nice. Most things in the menu were pricey, but the Buffet was worth the price ($14). It included drinks ( coffee, juice, milk). They had a made to order waffle and egg bar. The food was great and the wait staff were nice. Breakfast in this restaurant was also baby friendly!

• Stayed December 2012
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Renaissance is our default hotel when we visit Asheville. It’s the perfect location to easily walk in downtown Asheville, and is convenient to the galleries, restaurants, and shops that abound in downtown. As others have noted, the outside of the hotel is very dismal looking, but the inside is very nice. The lobby was recently renovated, and the rooms have a contemporary look and feel, although the carpets are beginning to look old. In a standard size room, the bathrooms are quite small. The pool is long enough for laps, and the workout facility has a lot of cardio equipment. Overall, based on the location and value, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms by the ice machine tend to be more noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The outside of the hotel could stand some updating but don't let that fool you - inside this a beautiful hotel. It was only a 15 minute ride to the airport. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze. I was there on business and will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Asheville. The room was clean, had such a comfortable bed and all the amenities you could need. In fact, I forgot something so I called the front desk and they were happy to oblige for no extra charge. It is a close walk to great restaurants and shops. The restaurant itself has healthy and very good food. If I had to find a negative about the hotel it would be that the bathrooms are a bit small. But other than that, nothing but great things to say about this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel is easy to find and is in a great location. The exterior is a bit deceptive. The interior is nicer that the exterior would lead you to believe. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The beds were a bit on the firm side and the bathrooms were a little cramped but overall the Renaissance Marriott is a decent property for a short weekend getaway. Would I stay here again...not sure, maybe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Renaissance Asheville Hotel? Share your experiences!