“Service overrides the gripes about smaller rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #29 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Service overrides the gripes about smaller rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Renaissance in Asheville doesn't look like much from the outside. Yeah, it's big, but the exterior looks dated. Inside, you notice the elegance that comes with being inside a FS hotel. My stay was on the concierge floor. I didn't have any problems with the room size, certainly plenty for one. Same can be said about the bathroom..if it's just one person, it's plenty. I can see how it could be tight quarters with another person.

Service throughout was excellent. Everyone was friendly, answered my questions, helped me get around. Breakfast within club lounge was limited, I had better selections at other Marriott FS properties. Nevertheless, I've stayed at a few hotels here in Asheville (that's not saying much..maybe 5?), but the Renaissance was the best of the bunch so far.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
sedona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

My first stay at the Renaissance was disappointing due to the location of my room. For my next stay Terri, the Front Desk Manager, booked me in a corner room (high floor); we were in town attending Bel Chere, Asheville’s annual music festival. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay so much we are back AGAIN now, for 8 nights.

First, the corner rooms are more spacious and very quiet. Even when we were in town for Bel Chere, there was relatively no noise.

This visit we are on the road for a total of 12 days. We both packed a LOT! There are plenty of drawers and ample closet space to accommodate us both. The closets are spacious enough to house our two large suit-cases while also leaving room for multiple pairs of shoes on the floor. Although the bathroom is relatively small, the counter is very spacious and there is a nice "ledge" underneath to also store toiletries.

The location is exceptional. During Bel Chere we never moved our car! The Renaissance is within walking distance of the downtown area and all the great dining establishments! There is also a Starbucks located down the street (opposite direction of downtown), which is always a plus for me! You are also a short drive from the Grove Park Inn and Biltmore Estate.

The staff is accommodating and friendly. And I appreciate the free Wi-Fi, parking and the refrigerator in the room. If you are traveling on business (my boyfriend and I always have our lap-tops available and plugged in), the desk is large enough for two people with a number of outlets to accommodate all our technology!

I call this my Asheville home because my boyfriend and I are looking to possibly relocate to Asheville. And as we continue to come back to learn more about the area and check into the housing market, the Renaissance Hotel IS home for us, and most important. . . .feels like home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

Renaissance hotel
Asheville

The room was clean, but small. The bathroom was also small. Each room has a "cooler". It looks like a mini fridge but it does not keep things really cold ( still nice to have).
The AC in the room was SO loud. Apparently this is not the case in every room. My friend said her AC made a small clicking noise, and it was not the roaring sound mine made.
I had a room with a king size bed. I was traveling with a 8 month old and with the pack and play the space was a little tight. My friend was traveling with an 8 month old and a three year old. She stayed in a room with two queen sized bed. She had a ton of room!
I love the location of this hotel. It was nice to go out for meals without hanging load all of the children in the car. Downtown Asheville is right outside of the hotel's back door.
Breakfast in the Hotel restaurant was nice. Most things in the menu were pricey, but the Buffet was worth the price ($14). It included drinks ( coffee, juice, milk). They had a made to order waffle and egg bar. The food was great and the wait staff were nice. Breakfast in this restaurant was also baby friendly!

• Stayed December 2012
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

The Renaissance is our default hotel when we visit Asheville. It’s the perfect location to easily walk in downtown Asheville, and is convenient to the galleries, restaurants, and shops that abound in downtown. As others have noted, the outside of the hotel is very dismal looking, but the inside is very nice. The lobby was recently renovated, and the rooms have a contemporary look and feel, although the carpets are beginning to look old. In a standard size room, the bathrooms are quite small. The pool is long enough for laps, and the workout facility has a lot of cardio equipment. Overall, based on the location and value, I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms by the ice machine tend to be more noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The outside of the hotel could stand some updating but don't let that fool you - inside this a beautiful hotel. It was only a 15 minute ride to the airport. The staff were all friendly and helpful. Check in was a breeze. I was there on business and will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in Asheville. The room was clean, had such a comfortable bed and all the amenities you could need. In fact, I forgot something so I called the front desk and they were happy to oblige for no extra charge. It is a close walk to great restaurants and shops. The restaurant itself has healthy and very good food. If I had to find a negative about the hotel it would be that the bathrooms are a bit small. But other than that, nothing but great things to say about this hotel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This hotel is easy to find and is in a great location. The exterior is a bit deceptive. The interior is nicer that the exterior would lead you to believe. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. The beds were a bit on the firm side and the bathrooms were a little cramped but overall the Renaissance Marriott is a decent property for a short weekend getaway. Would I stay here again...not sure, maybe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Very nice property, with comfortable queen beds (in a doubles room), nice furnishings, clean. Like other reviewers have said, the bathrooms are a bit small, but not unreasonably so. There is a comfortable chair to sit on, but other than that, you watch TV in bed. The service was great, but we could have used a concierge or the help of someone capable of making recommendations for restaurants and directions to attractions. We did ask front desk employees (when not busy with check-ins) - one could not offer a single suggestion of areas or dinner restaurant recommendations, while another one was very helpful with breakfast recommendations. The hotel does not have a business center, so searching the web for recommendations on a smartphone wasn't optimal. Location was super convenient, with easy access from highway and within close walking distance to town, restaurants, the Basilica, etc. Our favorite thing was the breakfast. Omelets were great and the guys were very friendly, as was the rest of the restaurant staff. The oatmeal was the real steel cut kind, and had great consistency. A nice touch was that servers delivered beverages while we went to the buffet, so there was no need for a second trip to get juice. Parking was ample, but we usually had to go to the back lot to find a space (although it was awkward to enter through the back door of the hotel because it leads you through the ball rooms). Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Renaissance Asheville Hotel? Share your experiences!