“my civic responsibility” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Green Light Cafe - CLOSED

Green Light Cafe
18 North Lexington, Asheville, NC 28801 (Five Points)
(828) 250-3800
Neighborhood: Five Points
Appalachia
“my civic responsibility”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I would have rated this pleasant place very good instead of poor, but the pseudoscientific misinformation regarding the purpose of chlorophyll in the drinking water was too much for my rational mind to bear, and I consider it my civic responsibility to provide the following comment:

Because the structure of the intact chlorophyll molecule is in the same category as that of the hemoglobin molecule, the conclusion that ingested chlorophyll will enter the bloodstream and effect some kind of benefit there is in currency. There is absolutely no evidence for this and, in fact, the belief flies in the face of everything we know about chlorophyll and human digestion.

Just like the hemoglobin in the meat people eat, an ingested chlorophyll molecule will be denatured by normal stomach acid and broken down by intestinal enzymes into simpler components (this is called DIGESTION), and these will be absorbed into the blood. At that point, the material will consist of much smaller, ordinary soluble compounds along with magnesium. Magnesium is a necessary mineral nutrient, but it's not unique to chlorophyll. To sum up, it's highly unlikely that ingested chlorophyll can produce a unique salubrious effect in the bloodstream.

Is it possible that chlorophyll is somehow resistant to digestion in the human stomach and intestine but is absorbed anyway---instead of passing through like other indigestible material? In a normal person that is highly unlikely, but if it were, it would very probably be a bad thing. Large, foreign molecules of this type in the bloodstream can be potent provocateurs of immunologic responses which can be dangerous.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
Oregon
“Green water at the Green Light”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

Nice counterbalance to BBQ and heavier fare. Creative dishes, tastefully prepared. When dairy was an issue for one of us, they quickly found an alternative. Chlorophyll in the water was a nice twist.

Visited May 2012
Greensboro, North Carolina
“A Terrific Vegan Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

This is a quirky little restaurant. I wanted to go because they had such a plethora of vegan food yet still choices for my carnivore husband. I have to say the water they serve took us by surprise. The water is filtered and then has chlorophyll added (yes the stuff that makes plants green). The water had a very refreshing flavor (a bit like cucumber in your water).
For lunch we each chose a spelt crust margharita pizza (i opted for the daiya vegan cheese). These pizzas were delicious. The spelt gave the crust a nutty flavor and it was very filling. To end the meal we split a vegan chocolate chip cookie (fresh from the oven and so deliciously warm).
I would only recommend this place to those who are already vegetarian/vegan as I think the menu is a bit too plant based for those who might not have yet adopted that lifestyle.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Finally an excellent vegan restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I've lived in the Asheville area for 15 years now. And finally Asheville has what I consider to be an excellent vegan restaurant. I'm not saying some other places aren't good, but none of them have what all adds up to the best of everything: great food, great service, and great prices in a really nice "good feeling" atmosphere.
This might seem mushy, but I always just feel like I'm with family when I go in there to eat. The staff is really sweet to me, and of course the food is delicious!
I like the Sunday brunch, the specials they have when I get there during the lunchtime somedays, and I love their vegan desserts!
They have a specialty water I enjoy too, at no extra charge.
I recommend this to anyone, local or visitor. Obviously I'm a great fan of this place.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Asheville, North Carolina
“Love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

I love this place! The food is great, service is very, very friendly yet efficient. I feel like I'm being served by an old friend. I like to eat there during lunch a lot. But when friends come to town, I love to take them there for an evening meal. They have all been quite impressed, including two of my most picky vegan friends.
I've been there for a Sunday brunch a couple of times too, and like it a lot.
Not only are the entrees really good, but the desserts are tasty too.
And the cost to eat there is quite affordable to us. I feel like I'm paying for the food and not unnecessary fancy decor, though the place is nicely furnished.
I plan on continuing being a frequent visitor.

• Visited March 2012