“smelly room in tacky hotel” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Inn & Suites

You added Downtown Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Downtown Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Patton Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Ranked #40 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Chicago, Illinois
“smelly room in tacky hotel”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My heart sank the instant I stepped into the lobby - old, cheap, garish (bright red and green paint), and in desperate need of a major makeover. The elevator's indicator lights didn't work, and the inside of the door was covered with linoleum (and scratched linoleum at that!). The room smelled musty (or smoky?); it looked clean, but how clean could it really be if it smelled bad? The furniture was unmatched and worn. The drapes could not darken the room. And the room faced a busy major street that was so noisy it drowned out the TV and woke me up during the night. The staff were friendly, the breakfast was fine, the location is close to restaurants, so maybe this place would be okay for an anything-goes 20-something on a shoestring budget; but this middle-aged, middle-income traveler will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Obviously this guest has a different taste for choice of colors in our lobby, though the lobby has been renovated and painted with in the last few weeks.

The elevator is under renovations. Three sides of the walls have new paneling, on the back of the elevator door there is old paneling but not linoleum.

About the smell of the room, we have requested the guest to provide the room number as we are not sure if they stayed in a smoking room.

The furniture is new and unmatched, but obviously the guest has a different taste.

The rooms facing the street side do have a noise problem.

We are an economy class value hotel. As the guest specified they are in a different economy class who are probably used to staying at a four or five star hotel, and we are certainly not one of those.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I stayed at Asheville's Downtown Inn and Suites for 2 nights. The location is amazing and the parking is free. You can park your car and not move it the entire time if you don't mind walking around to all the nearby shops and restaurants. Upon check-in, we were told it would be 20 to 30 minutes before our room was ready (we were early), so we popped across the street, had a quick drink, and our room was ready in no time. I chose to stay on the "mountain view" side because it's quieter. Our room appeared to be newly renovated with a new bathroom counter, new toilet, and it appeared that the wallpaper and carpet in the entire room was new as well. The bed was very comfortable and the A/C worked great. Both of us slept great the 2 nights we were there. The staff was accommodating and very friendly. The breakfast buffet included scrambled eggs, sausage, sausage biscuits, cereals, fruit, juices, coffee and pastries. Everything was put out fresh and we had no problems at all with the free buffet which is open until noon (very convenient if you want that 3rd cup of coffee). Our room had a coffee maker, microwave and fridge. There was also a new flat screen TV. Overall, this was a very pleasant stay with very pleasant staff. This hotel will now be our place to stay when we visit Asheville, which is often!

Room Tip: The mountain view rooms appear to be quieter, but you are still downtown and will have street noise.
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have stayed at this motel a handful of times now and I love this place. It is an older property with mostly just the basics, but my room was clean and comfortable. One of the best things about it is the location on Patton street no more than a few blocks from all of the downtown destinations. Most of the downtown Hotels have significantly higher rates. There are some excellent Hotels downtown but if you simply want a clean comfortable room minus a few of the frills for a much lower price this is your place. Save the money for some of the excellent restaurants and pubs.
I stayed on the Patton St. side this visit and there is a lot of street noise. I believe there is a small upcharge to get the Mountain View on the back side which is more a view of the backsides of several businesses and workshops, but the quiet is worth it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Mountain View (Backside). It actually isn't much of a view, but it is much quiete...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We were recently in Asheville for a friend bachelorette party. Upon check in (which was unorganized) we were told a different rate from what we were originally quoted. We were told by the person checking us in that "I'm sorry the person who quoted you this is new". So even though it was their mistake we were understanding & chose to let it go & pay the extra $20. The lady checking us in gave us our new rate of $286 which she stated included the roll away bed. We signed our credit card receipt & went on to our room. While at the front desk we have our hands full with our luggage & she hands us 2 extra pillows & 5 more towels. I guess she was too lazy to take it to our room or have someone else to...but whatever no biggie. When we get into our room, it's very musky smelling but clean for the most part. The ac unit was blowing out large chunks of black stuff. I immediately started having trouble breathing & severe congestion. Anyway, this was over looked bc I was there to have a good girls weekend. Morning of check out, we get our folio under the door & it was a totally different price then what we had already paid for. So THIS WAS THE 3RD TIME OUR RATE HAD BEEN CHANGED IN ONLY 2 DAYS. We went to front desk to check out & get this straightened out bc we had a copy of what we already paid & signed for. The SAME women who checked us in said that whoever checked us in charged us wrong. Well we quickly pointed out that SHE was the one who checked us in & this was the 3rd time we had been given a different price to pay & we wouldn't be paying anything other than what we had already paid & signed for. She pulls out the paper work & explains this was a mistake on her behalf & the new charge is what we needed to pay. This is absolutely unacceptable. We told her we would not pay anymore & she needed to give us another receipt reflecting what we had already paid. While pulling out our paper work I noticed that someone had marked out the original price we had signed for on the credit card receipt AFTER we had already signed it. That's very much illegal. You can't change the price after its already been signed for. Makes me wonder exactly how much Dr. [--] & his staff are making on the side by up charging people after the fact. I am reporting this to authorities & credit card company to make sure this place is audited. The person at front desk never took ownership of her mistake & only wanted to claim she was new. Same thing she said about the person who screwed up our reservations. I will not stay in this hotel again. I will stay at Renaissance by Marriott. More expensive but classy & good staff. I'm anxious to see what will actually be charged to the credit card & will definitely dispute if not correct. Either way they will be notified about issue. I have never given anyone a bad review bc I always try to find positive in every situation. My only positive comment about hotel is the location. Location was perfect for walking BUT I'd walk further to avoid this hotel in the future.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
There were five guests in this room. This guests received a rollway bed for two nights. The original authorization did not include the charge for the rollaway at the time of check in. The guest refused to pay for the rollaway at the time of check out. Though they did receive the service, we did not charge them for the rollaway bed. We never changed the price on the credit card and the guest was never charged for the rollaway.

It is not illegal according to Federal and State laws to change the amount of the authorization on a credit card, which is also posted clearly on the bank statements and the websites of many banks. But it is certainly unethical for someone to use the service and not pay for it because of an honest mistake by the employee.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The pictures are misleading, the breakfast bar is a joke,and the rooms need repairs. Lost our reservation,lucky I had printed it out. Owner was asleep in the lobby,and kept yelling and talking in his sleep, the lobby was piled up with pictures stacked up against the walls. Place looked awful inside. Will never go back.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
We have no record of this individual staying with us, but obviously he/she was able to enter in our lobby so it is possible that he/she was denied the service. It is true there are pictures in the lobby as we are replacing the pictures in the rooms.

The Owner of this Hotel is a board certified and licensed physician, free of any sleeping disorders. The comment about him sleeping in the lobby is not true.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Here's the deal with this place, you CANNOT beat the location and price. Great shopping, dining and nightlife all in a 5-10 minute walk. If value and location are ALL you're concerned with, this is the spot for you. As far as appearance, comfort and service..it was awful. Parking is very limited, the exterior and interior of the property are horribly run down and outdated. Rooms are fairly clean and mattresses are comfy but linens and towels are very worn out & need to be replaced. Service was terrible. We arrived just in time to witness a couple fighting with the front desk attendant about losing their reservation. They'd booked for two nights (it was Valentine's wknd) and no one could find their reservation. The hotel was sold out and they were simply told "sorry" and reimbursed for just one night. They were livid as most hotels in town were sold out as well that weekend. I'd made a non-smoking reservation about a month in advance and we were given a smoking room! But, just like the other couple, we were told "sorry, hotel is sold out, nothing we can do". It put a huge damper on our stay as the odor from stale cigarette smoke was unbelievable. I will never stay there again. Sometimes, location isn't everything.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
It is obvious that this guest had a difficult time when they stayed at our hotel. Parking is limited and they did get a smoking room. It is our policy to discount the room if there is any mismatch in room type.

The couple who were arguing about the reservation, had made a reservation for the wrong dates on our website for arrival date 4-14-2015 and arrived at our hotel on 2-14-2015. We had the reservation for 4-14-2015 and as we were sold out we reimbursed the guest for one night at another hotel which was a courtesy and not required.

We do not agree with the comment about the condition of the property and we will let our future guests who stay with us decide about this.

To avoid mismatch rooms in the future we have added a new category of reservations called flagged reservations and will contact these guests on the daily basis as the reservations arrive.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I found this hotel while looking for a place to stay downtown with my husband and dog for the weekend. I was excited to see their affordable rates and that they had great reviews. Thanks to reviews I requested a mountain view room when I made my reservation. I also was able to get a discount because my husband is a government employee. I will definitely stay here again. You can't be the price and the location. It seems the hotel is dated and might be doing some renovations, but it didn't affect our stay. I loved how breakfast was until 12pm and they had a big selection. The only complaint I had was we had to park in the overflow parking lot and it was a little confusing to find since they don't label that lot and I of course didn't want to get towed. We parked in the right one (the lot with numbers on all the spots).

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Downtown Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!