“Avoid the late-night staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Inn & Suites

You added Downtown Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Downtown Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Patton Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Avoid the late-night staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Like others have said here, beware the 3rd shift desk attendant, who provided us with the worst "customer service" experience we have ever had. Day staff were friendly, accommodating, and eager to please, particularly Austin. When we returned from our night out to acquire keys for the second room we paid for for friends, we found the front desk unmanned for at least 15 minutes; another group waiting in the lobby said they had been waiting for much longer and eventually gave up and left. We looked around the desk for a way to contact someone. When he appeared, Tony was immediately surly, demanding IDs and eventually announced us all "evicted" for our "attitudes," while we were simply trying to resolve the issue calmly. During this exchange, others entered and he asked for ID; one girl was unable to produce it, but he simply checked her name against his printed list. While we stood there attempting to smooth things over, he called the police on his cell phone, insisting that we "refused to leave" after having been "evicted." He acknowledged to the officers on the phone that we were not hostile or threatening. Our request to speak to the officer on the phone was denied. When the officers arrived, they listened to both sides of the story and somewhat apologetically said he was within his rights to evict us; one of them went with me to collect our belongings from the room we had checked into earlier, while my husband had to beg Tony for management/owner contact info and a receipt for the two rooms we paid for. The officers indicated that this was far from an unusual occurrence for Tony and were nice enough to point us in the direction of other hotels. Our 1am bedtime turned into a 3am bedtime, by the time we concluded this disappointing experience and found another hotel in town.

The friendly day attendant, Austin, did call the next day to tell us our money would be refunded. It's unfortunate that one late-night staffer has ruined the otherwise positive experience of this hotel for so many people. We have stayed here in the past and loved it, but unfortunately we won't be returning. It is surprising that with all of the negative reviews of this staffer on TripAdvisor alone (which are obviously read by owner Dr. Patel, based on his responses), he is still allowed to work there in a customer service role. We appreciate Dr. Patel's resolution with a refund, but since we were unable to speak to him in person, I wanted to post this review.

In short: if you're going to be out past midnight, I'd avoid staying in this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
I have received the following written statement from Tony:

"On 10/20 at around 1 am, I took a short break of approximately 8-10 minutes. When I returned to the lobby, I found 2 white females standing in front the desk and 2 white males standing behind the desk. The 2 males were attempting to access the computer.

When I asked for ID'S they refused and the 2 males became verbally abusive. I told them I was calling the police and took out my phone. Before I could complete the call 1 of the males and 1 of the females produced ID's and said they were staying in room 401 (they were both registered to that room). They also told me the other 2 were friends of theirs who needed to check in.

I then asked the other 2 again for their ID's. The female made no move to produce an ID and the male told me he did not have an ID. I told them that hotel policy required ID's for all guests to check in and that I would not be able to rent them a room.

At this point all 4 of them became verbally abusive. I then told the 2 from 401 that they were evicted and told all 4 of them to leave the hotel. They refused to leave, so I called the police."

We have a large number of guests who regularly arrive after midnight, but as long as they are registered and have a valid ID there has not been a problem.

At the same time under no circumstances for the security of our guests will we allow anyone who has not been registered and does not have a valid ID to enter the property. In this particular case there were 2 individuals who were not registered and did not have a valid ID and were also found tampering with our computers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

When I looked at some of the bad reviews for this hotel, I was worried that i might not be able to stay there. On the contrary, we found a warm welcome, clean rooms, and courteous staff. The hotel is very good value for money. We were on a road trip, not spending lots of time in hotel rooms, so it suited us very well. Very good location, no problem with anything.

I met Dr Patel and assured him that I would write a review, because not only did the receptionist not bat an eyelid when TWO of my cards were declined, but Dr Patel okayed it for me to ring my bank in the UK FREE, in order to sort out the problems with my card. I found him very sympathetic and kind.

This is a budget hotel that is such good value and maintains a high standard of customer care, in my opinion.
Thanks to all the team at Downtown.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were in town with a couple of mates for the Queens of The Stone Age gig, and our friend had suggested this place as she`d stayed here before on trips to Asheville.
The staff were more than helpful booking us in, altho they had a little trouble with our southern English accents!
We opted for a smoking room, not realising as we did so, that it was possible to smoke on the balcony anyway...and altho the room was spotless and spacious, it really did smell of stale tobacco. Which wasn`t pleasant......granted,I`m a smoker, but I roll my own, and the smell is less intrusive than ready made cigarettes.
Ideally situated within a 5 min walk of the main happenings.
Pleasant little swimming pool.
Breakfast was a giggle, but sufficient to satiate til we found something better.
Yeah, I re-iterate the title, Its OK.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
NK_Patel-Owner, Owner at Downtown Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
We are sorry for the inconvenience. The guest received a smoking room as requested. If there was any objectionable odor we would have provided an air purifier machine. We also have smell absorbing gel in every room.
Allen, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Have stayed there twice in the last six months. It is very convenient to all of downtown and the people at the desk go out of their way to accommodate their guests. We have a son that lives in Asheville and we plan to stay at this establishment every time we go

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Cannot beat the location for the rate! In the heart of Asheville, free parking, clean facility (and rooms), an friendly staff. Asheville is one of my favorite cities and I visit often. Usually I'd stay around Biltmore Village or Tunnel Road and drive into city and park, but found this place and will definitely return!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Sykesville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

My new wife and I recently spent one night in Asheville on our honeymoon. The combination of the location and price for this hotel can't be beat. Although too cool, the pool and garden area was beautiful. Strong wi-fi signal was nice. The hotel is located within minutes of some great restaurants and shopping. We recommend the Sky Bar for great rooftop views and drinks. The beer lover would be wise to walk next door to the Thirsty Monk. The only thing keeping this from a 5 star rating is the hotel could use some updating (which I think is scheduled) and the rooms are a bit small. Otherwise, totally recommend this place!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My girlfriend and I had to visit Asheville for a wedding, so we decided to spend a few extra days to enjoy what turned out to be an amazing city. While planning our getaway, we looked at a lot of hotels in the area, but ultimately decided that we wanted to be downtown. Downtown Inn and Suites had some pretty bad reviews, but the negative reviews seemed to be isolated and a little petty.

I am very glad that we decided to give this place a chance. The staff was very friendly, from booking to checking out. The rooms, lobby, breakfast area, all were very clean and well kept. The other hotels in the downtown area are not nearly as well located as Downtown Inn and they are about three times the price.

Don't get me wrong, the building is old, the décor is dated and you aren't sleeping on a tempurPedic bed. If you are going to Asheville and you want to stay in the hotel the entire time, this is not your place, but if that is the case, why are you going to an awesome place like Asheville.

The staff works hard to maintain a quality hotel and they do a great job, you can tell that there have been updates to the rooms (i.e. flat screens, mini fridge, microwave..). The outside elevator is pretty nice, with glass wrap around.

I can say that we will be going back to Asheville and Downtown Inn will likely be where we stay.

Best Pros: LOCATION, staff, cleanliness

Worst Cons: Sheets, pillows and towels

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows and towels