“It's the location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Downtown Inn & Suites

You added Downtown Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Downtown Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   120 Patton Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Ranked #39 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Orlando, Florida
“It's the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

When I first walked into the lobby of this downtown hotel, my immediate thought was simple: "We are going to die."

A lobby that stinks of old incense and body odor, coupled with the garish pink tones of a condemned Miami bathhouse circa 1985, does not exactly scream "Welcome!" It does seem to indicate that you might spend your stay being chased through hallways.

The young guy running the front desk was from a town that neighbored the one I grew up in back in Florida, so I decided to stay put. After all, no serial killer has ever come out of Florida.

I'm glad we decided to stay. This place is old as Hell, but it's located in the heart of downtown and we only paid $56 a night. For $56 a night, I expected hookers to be hanging out in the exterior corridor, and apparently this used to be the case. This hotel bans locals and requires you to use your key card in order to use the elevator. When I pondered this aloud as we brought up our luggage, a burnout near us retorted with "Yeah, man, we stayed here ten years ago and some scary dude stood outside our hotel room looking in our window for hours." I wanted to ask more questions, such as "Why didn't you close your curtain?" He had already vanished in a cloud of Nag Champa and pot smoke.

Our room was very Days Inn with the hideous floral bedspreads, clunky TV and coffee maker that turns out only sludge that vaguely smells like coffee, but it was adequate. Get the "Mountain View" side for views of, um, mountains.

The free breakfast consisted of high sugar, trans fat specialties like pre-packaged cinnamon rolls, pecan pies, and donuts. I stuck with my breakfast of champions, Fruit Loops. Beware of the coffee and hold out for something better off property.

The location is the reason one stays here. We were within easy stumbling distance to numerous bars and breweries, as well as the stores and custom-made French fry peddlers of downtown. Downtown Asheville is a condensed version of a major city, and we appreciated being able to walk everywhere.

If you can ignore the terrifying lobby and shady, slightly dilapidated building, you can feel reasonably comfortable here.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were passing through on a quick visit to Asheville and wanted to be close to the downtown area. The Downtown Inn was a good value for this purpose. It was too cold to swim but the hotel appears to have tried hard to make an inviting outdoor pool area. Although the pool is within high cement walls on two sides, they are painted with nice murals and several fountains into the pool make it look nice, The continental breakfast had a lot of variety of hot and cold breakfast options including make your own waffles. Our room was on an upper floor that faced the pool area. No noticable noise issues. The room was not fancy, but was just fine for what we needed. We had a toilet issue while we were there ( probably due to older plumbing) and the staff quickly brought up a plunger.

Adairsville, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Fairly nice rooms, decent continental breakfast but the best part is that it's within walking distance of many pubs and stores. Also very nice staff. Would recommend. Previous reviews are right on the money about this hotel.

Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is an older place that was probably a chain hotel in its past life (like a Quality Inn or a Rodeway Inn or similar) with rooms facing outside with big glass windows. However, the place was clean and it is obvious that the owner is trying to keep it presentable. The beds were good with 4 little pillows on our King with a table and work desk...

but none of that really mattered because, as Realtors state...LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. This hotel is in downtown Asheville and very near all of the great unique restaurants and shops. Easy walking distance to everything (we walked to the civic center for the symphony). Plus, the cost was HALF what the other hotels in the area were charging when I checked online!

The only real negative I can come up with is the INTERNET connection. There is free wi-fi; however, trying to connect I kept getting an error message, "Error!! Service Account were full, please try another service gateway." My laptop nor my i-pad could get on. On our way out, I mentioned it to the desk clerk who said he had other complaints of that and was going to "reset the router". That night, I managed to get onto the internet, but not all sites would let me get on, so I don't know if there was some firewall for their system.... Anyway, just don't count on consistent internet service (they do have a computer for use in the lobby).

The bottom line is that this is a great hotel to stay at for a day or two while you visit Asheville. Nothing fancy or new, but just right...

Room Tip: You can either face the pool and the bus depot behind the building or the busy "Patton Avenue&q...
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

When my husband told me the room was $74 (with tax-ask for AAA discount) and we don't have to pay for parking, my expectations were very low. However, the hotel is well kept, updated, safe, and clean. The location itself is worth the money...within walking distance to stores/cafes/bars/erc. I recommend asking for a 5th floor mountain view room. There is a complimentary breakfast but it is very basic-cereal, fruit, and some sausage patties. Pool is in a cute courtyard. Don't let the price and generic name scare you! Great place to stay in the heart of downtown Asheville.

• Stayed May 2013
Aachen, Deutschland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

It´s not more then a cheap Motel in my opinion, but it´s clean and in the heart of downtown Asheville, a beautiful city located close to the Smokey Mountains. Stood there only for one night while following Bob Dylan on his spring tour, and wow, what a nice town Asheville is. Don´t you dare miss it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel was very pleasant, clean, comfortable, VERY comfortable beds and pillows, and pet friendly, as well as close to many breweries.VERY reasonably priced, good deal! Will certainly return. The staff was friendly and helpful. Parking is tight but ok. Typical continental breakfast but neat, clean , adequate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Downtown Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!