“Old fashioned motel, but it's downtown!” 4 of 5 stars

Downtown Inn & Suites
120 Patton Ave., Asheville, NC 28801 (Formerly Days Inn)   |
Ranked #38 of 59 hotels in Asheville
Tunbridge Wells, Kent
“Old fashioned motel, but it's downtown!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I can't add much more to the positive reviews here. I was surprised at how clean it was, despite the out-dated décor and heating unit. We ended up turning off the heat (in Asheville in December!) because it was so loud, but it worked so well we didn't miss it. We had a 5th floor, town side room, and if I stayed again, I would get a 5th floor mountain side room. They certainly seem willing to accommodate specific requests, even when the motel was completely booked!
The guy who checked us in, Greg, was easily one of the nicest desk clerks ever. Check in takes a while, but he keeps you laughing and occupied while he goes through the process. I will say that my husband, a UK citizen, didn't have photo ID (we don't carry his passport on US road trips), and this caused some consternation. But a quick phone call to 'his boss' allowed us to stay just on my driver's license. It's worth the time to pack the photo ID for everyone in the party.
I'd stay here again rather than in a motel out on Tunnel Rd., if for no other reason than the perfect location, but it was less expensive, probably just as clean too. We didn't even look at the breakfast, so can't comment.

377 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Baltimore, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed here several days around the Christmas holiday. The room (5th floor, south-facing) was acceptable. The decor some would find dated, and the heating unit did its job, but noisily, and by blowing air into our faces on the bed. The staff did a good job of keeping the room clean, and the fridge and microwave were appreciated. The complementary breakfast was okay. The hot items, such as microwaved sausage biscuits, were not too great, but the make-your-own waffles, cereal, bagels and toast, were sufficient for someone on a limited budget. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They even proactively took a bit off of our bill because our heating unit controls were not working properly upon our arrival. Parking spaces were a bit awkwardly placed and sized, but the (free) parking lot's fenced enclosure was much appreciated. As many have written, the location can't be beat for those who would like to walk around downtown Asheville. I would stay here again without hesitation for the price we paid for a night, which was less than sixty dollars.

St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I travel frequently for work and holidays! If you need a Ritz, book one. If you are looking for a great location in downtown Asheville, close to bars, restaurants, and shopping, look no further. It is a no frills, clean hotel with comfy beds and nice staff! Rates are reasonable for what you get. The owners have improved it over the years, with added fridges, microwaves, newer furniture and mattresses. For the modest rate, they even include a hot breakfast.

Southern Pines, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is a GREAT place to stay if you are looking for a great location and great customer service all for a great price!

Alright, I will be honest, the rooms are not top of the line, or even average based on where I have stayed before, BUT the location, price and service are amazing!

We booked a last minute trip, two nights prior, and got a great rate and our dog could come, too! It was actually cheaper to bring her with us ($10 extra a night) than to board her ($20 a night) which was great for us since we hate boarding her! We only were planning a quick overnight trip to Asheville and wanted to make the most of it by getting there early. We called ahead and were able to check in two hours early.

When we checked in the hotel looked old and outdated, our room was certainly not the Ritz, but if you are traveling to see sights and just need a place to crash, which we were, it was just fine! The beds were comfortable enough. There was a refrigerator and microwave, which would have been nice had we been staying longer and had spent any time in the room beyond sleeping! In the morning there was a typical hot continental breakfast: waffles, sausage, eggs, biscuits, cereals, bagels, muffins and fruit. Check out was quick and easy and as with check in the people at the desk were very nice and helpful!

When we got home I realized I had left my nice tempurpedic pillow at the hotel. I was very worried it was gone forever, but when we called the hotel, the maid had found it, brought it to the desk and they sent it to us free of charge!

Overall, it was close to everything downtown, the service was great, and you cannot beat the price. If you are looking for a nice quiet room with a plush pillow top bed, you should not stay here. If you are looking for a place to merely crash after exploring Asheville, we would highly recommend it!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

It's a throw back in time from the wallpaper to the furniture and the breakfast is slim.

However, that being said- it is clean, inexpensive, right in the heart of Asheville so you can easily walk to everything (food, shopping, music) and the staff is friendly and super helpful! I highly recommend it!

If your looking for luxury, this isn't your spot. If you're looking for cheap and clean with no driving, this is it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
North Augusta, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here over the weekend with my nephew and his wife. What a great experience! Very courteous staff, perfectly located to downtown, and clean rooms. Although an older building, it has been kept up nicely and was very clean. The breakfast was welcomed as well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Back in the summer of 1969, as a teenager on my first visit to Asheville, I stayed at this place. It has not changed -- still the same wallpaper in the lobby as I recollect. Everything's still in working order -- the elevator, the hairdryer, the coffeemaker, the other amenities in the room. It is in nice proximity to everything in down town Asheville, as other reviewers point out: the shoppes, restaurants, pubs, historical places are all within walking distance. We left our car in convenient off-street parking provided free of charge. It is a doggy place, so you should be prepared to jostle with dogs in the lobby. At $70 a night, it is reasonable for the location, but you can find cheaper rooms in West Asheville or out Tunnel Road. From the hotel, it is easy to hop on I-40/I-26 to get out to the Blue Ridge Parkway or Hendersonville. As other reviewers advise, you should request the backside "mountain view" rooms for privacy and quiet. The "down town" side offers traffic noise at night and the chance to chat over the balcony with street people who ramble along Patton Ave in the early morning with their backpacks and bedrolls.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Downtown Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!