“Very Bad Business Practice” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Eclectic, Central American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Very Bad Business Practice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

I made a reservation for a 10:30 pm dinner on a Friday evening via Open Table because we were flying from Chicago and do not land until 9:50. I chose this restaurant mainly because it is one of two restaurants in Asheville that offered 10:30 pm reservations and also because of the good reviews here. Imagining my surprise and disappointment when I rushed to the restaurant from the airport, got there by 10:30, and only to find that the restaurant was completely closed. We did not receive any notice that they were closing early and could no longer accommodate our late reservation request. Had we known this, we would have eaten at Chicago or booked the other restaurant. This experience really left a bad taste in my month because the restaurant failed to offer a minimal level of courtesy - all they had to do was a simple phone call.

Visited May 2011

Asheville, North Carolina
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I had the filet mignon special and my wife and friends had the salmon. We all agreed that our meals were excellent. The medium rare steak had fantastic flavor and was cooked to perfection. The location is hard to spot because the entrance is in the back of the building on Hendersonville Road. I would say the Chef Mo's and the Admiral are the two best restaurants in Asheville. Nine Mile is terrific if you like spicy and the Corner Kitchen is also reliably excellent.

• Visited February 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Asheville
“Great Food and service. Quiet and Serene.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

You can actually carry on a conversation here, which in Asheville, is a marked rarity. Good food. Unpretentious. Not inexpensive but the ambience alone is worth it.

• Visited January 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weaverville, NC
“Chef Mo's - A New Old Favorite, I'll Be Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

Chef Mo's is the new name and location of Chef In Motion, an Asheville favorite, though this was my first visit. My friend Sam and I met there for lunch. Sam knew the place so well that Chef Mo, Mauricio Abreu, warmly welcomed us when we arrived. While Chef and Sam chatted briefly, we were quickly seated and had coffee and iced tea on the way.

The menu includes a variety of contemporary fusion foods influenced by Argentinian, Spanish and what we think of as Mexican. I don't want to try to pin it down too much, because you'll also find Escargot, Sake marinated shrimp, and lamb shanks. There are lots of seafood and vegetarian choices.

For lunch Sam had the salmon burger while I chose to have the daily special, mussels on angel hair pasta. I hadn't had mussels in a long time - and this dish brought me right back to my seaside childhood. Fresh, delicious mussels! The pasta not "too" fine and perfectly cooked. The light sauce was divine. Sam asked if I could tell what gave it a light pink color - I suspect Chef Mo makes his own stock from seafood & shell fish, though I didn't get a chance to ask. I'm a light eater at lunch but I ate every last bite.

The restaurant includes a full bar, though at lunch we didn't sample anything. The place is simply decorated, comfortable and spacious. By the time we were well tucked in, there was a full lunch crowd but my friend and I couldn't tell - we could still talk comfortably and there was no blaring music to distract us from food and company.

The prices are unbelievable for such good, hand-made food. Lunch is easily under $10, dinner about $20 if you add a salad or appetizer to your main dish.

I'm so glad to have found a new "old" place to meet with friends and clients.

• 5 of 5 stars Food