“First time dining at Sunny Point Cafe but hopefully not my last!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Raleigh, North Carolina
“First time dining at Sunny Point Cafe but hopefully not my last!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I ate here today for the first time while on a business trip to Asheville. It is a casual restaurant with a beautiful shaded outdoor waiting area, a covered outdoor dining patio, and inside air-conditioned dining. We sat outside in the covered patio at a small table for two. The menu was intriguing and we had a hard time choosing between breakfast & lunch. My husband had the heuvos rancheros and he said that they were the best he's ever had. I had the black bean tostada which was also excellent. The blending of tastes, built around the grilled chipotle cheese grit cakes, was excellent. The service was top-notch, particularly for a casual dining restaurant. As we were leaving, I mentioned to the hostess that I might just order an appetizer and dessert the next time I visit (the desserts look absolutely scrumptious!) and she took me back into the restaurant to show me each individual dessert and describe it to me! The wait staff keep an eye on each others' tables to refill coffee, water, etc. They have their own adjacent garden where lots of the greens they use are grown. If you've got your heart set on a fancy dress-up place, there are lots of other options in Asheville, but if you're looking for an eclectic menu featuring locally-grown items and friendly servers, you can't go wrong here.

Louisville, Kentucky
“The best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I try to stop by Sunny Point, even if I'm just passing through Asheville. I can't just not go to Asheville without eating here - I can't go to North Carolina without eating here.

Yes, sometimes you have to wait a very long time, but their patio is lovely and the time seems to pass by quickly.

I have to get the Savory Stuffed French Toast every time. It's just the best breakfast/brunch item I've found anywhere. The Plain Jane Stuffed French Toast is also good, but the Savory is just too unique to pass up. Pour syrup on it for a delicious sweet/savory combination. And the fresh fruit that comes on the side is always a great complement to it.

The service is always friendly, despite the fact that the place is always packed.

You simply can't go near Asheville without stopping at Sunny Point.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Inland Northwest, Us
“Interesting menu!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We visited here for a family member's birthday...at his request! He lives locally and loves this restaurant. After looking at the menu I understood why! Interesting blend of foods, great tastes, unusual ....not your everyday fare. I loved the Appalachian Appiteaser! Listed as an appetizer, I would eat it as a meal any day! Everyone loved their meals and we will certainly return everytime we are in Ashville.

key west
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, a bit slow on service.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

After deciding to make a day of it in Asheville, my daughter and I seeked this place out! A few things to note during our early lunchtime visit:

1. Parking. Although they have a small additional lot, there isn't much parking. I was going to park along the street, but had to nix that idea after noticing all the "no parking anytime" signs. We lucked out on one spot in their lower level near the garden area. I felt lucky, as I was just suggesting we look elsewhere to eat.

2. Service. Although we were seated immediately (we arrived around 11:30) and our waitress brought us water without us having to ask, I didn't like that their was no ice in the glasses. I feel silly complaining about this, but the water wasn't even cold. I normally always drink water with my meals, but because it was city water and had no ice, I asked my waitress for an iced tea.
Also, although our waitress was friendly, it took her a while to come back and take our orders.

3. Food. My daughter ordered the portabello mushroom sandwich with a salad, and I ordered the huevos rancheros. I sampled a bite of her sandwich and thought it was pretty good. I loved my dish and couldn't finish it. My teenage daughter had no problem finishing it off!

The atmosphere was very busy and a bit loud, but my daughter and I were okay with that. We chose to sit inside. A bit tight, but nothing utterly comfortable. During our meal, a gentleman came to our table to ask how things were.

Would I return to this restaurant? Definitely! But maybe for an early dinner!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Pecatonica, Illinois
“There's nothing better than an evening breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

We had this restaurant on our radar and then the receptionist at our hotel said that their huevos rancheros are the best he's ever had. That settled it, we had to go! They were delicious and they have another meal with sausage and cheese French toast. Service was good, prices are reasonable. The restaurant tries to buy locally and is concerned with where their products are grown or raised. The menu is creative with dinner meals as well as wonderful breakfast items. The restaurant itself is a casual place and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Visited May 2013