“Imagine” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Asheville, North Carolina
“Imagine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

WoW. In general, this isnt the type of place I would normally go. Its just comes across as a little too precious. However, I was assured that I would be doing myself a terrible injustice if I didnt try their breakfast, and with my wifes parents in tow I figured there was no better time to give them a spin. The Huevos Rancheros and the Shrimp & Grits seem to be THE things to get, so I went with the latter, as did my father in law. Wifey went with one of their Specials; a Black Pepper Biscuit, Heirloom Tomato, Pimiento Cheese Napoleon garnished with Sugar Bacon. Her mama had a Black Bean Tostada. Of course when in the south you drink Sweet Tea. This was to be no exception and theirs was certainly up to snuff. Anyhow, everything showed up around the same time and I immediately knew that I was in for a rare treat. You have never had grits like these before my friends. Cheesy and creamy with chipotle in a white wine Dijon cream sauce, topped with crisp bacon?! Oh yeah, and the shrimp, perfectly cooked, in there soaking up the sauce like it knows what I know. This dish blew my mind. Next to me, my wife mentioned that she wished the tomatoes were sliced a little thicker but had no complaints otherwise. Her parents are a hard read but they seemed to be happy. It neednt matter, as I was lost in a daydream about living in a world where we could all sit around and eat Shrimp & Grits under an air conditioned sun as mermaids swam by, spiking the refills of my Sweet Tea with vodka.... And that is where I shall linger, until we can return.
Grade: A (well worth the half hour wait. and you will NEVER hear me say that, because I simply dont do it.)

Visited August 2012

93% Recommend
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Mostly great food; service was a let-down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We enjoyed a mostly successful visit for breakfast. The outdoor seating is lovely, and most of the food was great. The succotash hash included wonderful beans and corn from their garden – a great encapsulation of August Asheville produce. Angel biscuits and house jam were heavenly.

Unfortunately, the Bloody Mary Gazpacho was melt-your-face spicy, and the heat completely swamped the flavor of what were likely very good tomatoes. This was doubly disappointing because the menu made no mention of the spiciness, and we specifically asked if there was anything unique about the “Bloody Mary” aspect of the gazpacho, and were told there was not. Upon seeing a half-full bowl being returned at the end of the meal, the server seemed to be avoiding asking us about it. I hope the service was an isolated incident, as the rest of the food was terrific, and we'd be willing to give them another shot.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great food, a little expensive, crowded and noisy.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I have eaten there a number of times and always enjoyed the food. On the day I took my 74 year old mother... the wait was very long. Once we were finially seated, the service was very slow. They were out of some of the entrees. The atomsphere was noisy with young adults talking loud and using words that should not be spoken in public or anywhere. So if you want a nice quiet place to catch up on life with your Mother... You should go somewhere else.

Graham, North Carolina
“Awesome!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

This place is great. The use fresh veggies from their own garden that they have at the back...where you can walk and check out what they are growing.The food was delicious.

Asheville, NC
“Nice West Asheville Vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

When we've eaten here, it has usually been for breakfast, but tonight we had dinner. It was a beautiful, coolish August evening so we ate outside in the covered patio, and it was very pleasant, with a nice West Asheville vibe.

The restaurant was busy but not full, and we were able to find a parking spot in the lower parking lot near the Sunny Point garden. Service was friendly and engaging, as usual, and our server was a charmer.

My wife had the risotta and chanterelle mushroom dish, which she said was the best item she's had recently. I had the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and sauteed greens. I imagine a lot of folks would like the meatloaf, but for me it had a bit too much sage and pork and not enough ground beef, but it was still good, and the potatoes and greens were excellent. On my next visit, though, I'll probably stick with breakfast, which is always terrific and is served all day.

With two beers, tip and taxes, the total came to around $48, which is reasonable.

• Visited August 2012