“Fun with multiple generations” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Asheville, North Carolina
“Fun with multiple generations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Satisfying experience at a table of multiple generations: something for everyone. We were able to sit off at the end of a space where the noise was not too much and we were not straining to hear each other.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Asheville, North Carolina
“a smooth ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We actually dropped by here twice on the same day. Early on for some cocktails while we waited for our friend to get off work and then later that evening after Bele Chere. The drink special was a Muddled Raspberry, Sweet Tea Vodka concoction that went down very nicely on this hot afternoon. The bartender was OK, not very engaging even though there wasnt much going on. I suppose I was a bit spoiled by all the friendly, warm people we had been introduced to throughout the day. Anyhow, as I said; our clan met up here later that evening and the place was packed. by some minor miracle The Wiz found us a table out on the patio; he's good that way. So once we took a load off we were quickly found by our server who wrangled us up some drinks in no time. No doubt we needed grubbings too and I recalled something about Fried Chicken Tacos from my earlier visit. I looked no further, but the rest of our lot was picking apart the menu. Which was good for me because I got to try a whole slew of stuff. the Spicy eggrolls were definitely the highlight for me, though by the time the Universal Fries came around I was too stuffed to try them. Their Gyro was also pretty solid. Overall I was impressed. Late nite bar food rarely tastes this good. I could see this being a go-to spot for us once we make the move.
Grade: B+ (I was told the service generally sucks here, but it seemed fine to me)

Visited August 2012
Asheville, NC
“Above-average burgers, waitstaff needs happy pills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Tonight we tried the burgers at Universal Joint, in what used to be a Pure station at the corner of Haywood Road and Sand Hill Road in West Asheville.

The burgers were pretty good, among the better efforts I've had in Asheville. My wife had the Steinbeck burger, with pimento cheese, bacon and jalapenos, with okay fries ($9). I had a nicely charbroiled 8 oz. Angus beef with American cheese on an egg bun, which was mistakenly served with tater tots rather than the fries I ordered ($8).

However, UT was just a little scruffier than I expected -- maybe due for an upgrade and refurb --with quite a few flies flitting around the outside patio dining area. The waitstaff (most young women with tattoos) came across as unhappy to be working on a Saturday night ... or perhaps bored West Asheville nonchalance is the affect they were attempting.

With two draft microbeers, tax and tip, the meal for two came to a little over $30. Fair price.

I'd probably go back for the cheeseburger, hoping that the manager spiffs up a little, and the waitstaff takes some happy pills.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“yummy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Food and beer selection great. Had the blue cheese bacon burger, YUM! Husband had the steinbeck burger, waiter suggested it. Definitely a great suggestion. Wait staff friendly and attentive. Would eat there again anytime.

Visited August 2012
Dayton, Ohio
“Good food, good beer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We ate here during a slow time of the day, something like 3pm on a Sunday and it was practically empty. So we had our choice of seating and our food came out very quickly.
The patio seating is great, so is the beer selection.

• Visited May 2012