“Not Scary” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ghost Hunters of Asheville

Ghost Hunters of Asheville
1 Page Avenue in the Grove Arcade, Asheville, NC 28801 (Five Points)
828-779-4868
Website
Update attraction details
Ranked #40 of 66 activities in Asheville
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Three separate 90-minute ghost tours cover different aspects of historical, haunted Asheville. The exclusive interactive downtown tour features use of ghost-hunting equipment. Historical Montford’s architectural beauty and stunning landscapes serve as backdrop for hunting ghostly specters. Riverside Cemetery beckons to those who dare enter and commingle with the ghosts of eras past.
Asheville, North Carolina
15 attraction reviews
“Not Scary”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I was expecting to get the bajesus scared out of me, but it was more of a histoical trip about people who had died in buildings in AVL. It was ok though, I learned a lot.

Orlando, Florida
“Great Tour and Guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We brought our dog Argyle with us! Had a great time exploring the paranormal and historical Asheville with our guide Debbie. Great way to see a different side of downtown. Would recommend to anyone.

Visited November 2011
Oak Ridge, Tennessee
“Very Fun and Historical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We went on the ghost tour with Lynette in downtown Asheville on October 29th. Our newly-at-the-time-turned five year old son has been fascinated with ghost hunting and watching relevant shows on TV and we thought it would be a fun thing to do.

I am respectfully skeptical of the entire matter but I enjoy opening my mind to the belief, as my goal is to actually encounter the paranormal as an adult. I've seen interesting things in my young life that could be explained away. However, I think it is quite important to remember the historical value of these sorts of tours. I learned more about Asheville in one hour with Lynette -the interesting, mysterious Asheville- than I'd learned from other sources to the present. That being said, this tour was a boon even if you don't believe in the paranormal at all and simply are into a bit of "haunted history."

I think another point for people to notice is that this is really a ghost tour, not a full fledged ghost hunt, as the time necessary to run a full hunt is not available. Our son enjoyed the visual aids of the EMF and dowsing rods, but it is very understandable why we couldn't spend a lot of time in any area doing any real "hunting."

However, I did get an interesting picture on the tour, not involving orbs, but an interesting shape, and it's enough to look at and go.. wow... look at that. It's not as cool as the pics from the other tours Lynette shared, but it's definitely a conversation piece.

All in all, excellent tour. Just as good as the one I'd been on in New Orleans. If i'm in Asheville again I'll definitely think about doing one of the other tours if available.

Visited October 2011
Marietta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
“Customer No Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

My husband and I were so excited to sign up for this tour based on most of the reviews out there touting it as one of the best. However, the night we were planning to take the tour was calling for a 50% chance of rain that evening, and they have policy on their website stating you must cancel at least one hour prior to the start of the tour. Because of this, my husband called before we ordered tickets and spoke to the owner, Debbie, about our hesitation regarding the weather. Was there an exception to the one-hour rule in the case of rain? Debbie assured him not to worry about it, that we would be able to cancel our reservations no problem. She also seemed surprised to hear about the forecast and acted as though it was supposed to be sunny for days and encouraged us to sign up for the tour. We did.

Sure enough, the night of the tour was cloudy and looking like it could start raining any minute. We decided to wait it out and see if it would be a quickly passing storm or a steady, long-lasting shower since we had Debbie's reassurance about it. About 40 minutes before the tour start, we decided it looked like the rain was not going to let up and I called Debbie to cancel. As soon as I explained that we couldn't make it the following night and would like a refund of our money, she INSTANTLY became hostile and defensive and said their policy requires canceling at least an hour before the tour. I explained that we understood that fact under normal circumstances, but that my husband had spoken to her about this case already and she had said it would be fine. Debbie denied saying this and proceeded to tell me that I should have checked the weather ahead of time (we had, that's why we called to see what they do in case of inclement weather) and that she only has one night off per week and this was it (how is that relevant or at all my problem?) and again said she "never would have said" what she told my husband the day before. She was still in the middle of her tirade when I hung up.

I have never hung up on anyone before, and I have never had to raise my voice to a person who's supposed to be in the tourism/hospitality industry until this woman. If there was a miscommunication somehow about the cancellation protocol, we expect to be told so in a professional, courteous, apologetic fashion, not antagonistically lectured to after being given conflicting information. This is not the way to run a business. Debbie will probably respond to this post and say we are not remembering this correctly or even that we must be talking about a different tour (like she did with DonDon637's review). She will say anything to get you to prepay for the tour, but then it's deny, deny, deny when anything goes wrong. Again, not the way to run a business.

Visited October 2011
ghostlady2, Owner at Ghost Hunters of Asheville, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Sometimes companies have abusive customers and in this world of social media, you have to make a decision whether to give others permission to abuse you or cut your losses. I think the time taken to write this review and its extreme content speaks for itself. She knows not of all she speaks, e.g., that my response to DonDon's review led to a 2-hour conversation in which we ended up using many of his suggestions to improve our business. I was trying to work with this client through all her abusive language when she hung up. It is the first time we've not refunded money to an unhappy customer in 4 years of operation. I just couldn't see following up to volunteer for more of her abuse to give her back her money.
“Great time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011 via mobile

We took the tour last weekend, and being professional paramormal investigators, we thought with better equiment her tour could tske off. The guide was amazing, and full of great information we were glad to share our equipment with the group and valadate her tour findings. Hope to get back there and help her out again! She has done a great job!