“room with a view” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“room with a view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here on a cloudy weekend in October. It was a splurge for us, but the room was wonderful, even with less than perfect weather. The bed was a fabulous cocoon, that I didn't want to leave. The shower was spacious, with excellent temperature and water pressure. We self-parked and there was ample parking, very close to the elevators. There was no road noise. It was an easy walk into downtown dining, and the concierge was exceptionally helpful. She gave us several restaurant recommendations, with a detailed map and noted the locations of her suggestions.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view - 7th floor corner is excellent
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, 2 days ago
I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit with us. Our concierge team is truly the best in town and I am thrilled that they served you well. We look forward to serving you again!

Best Wishes,

jbratcher@hlihotels.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This hotel stay was lovely. It's right off the highway and easy to find especially if you're driving in late like we were. It is just two blocks from the Convention Center, and we were attending an event there (Craft Fair of the Southern Highlands) so it made sense to be close. After we'd already been at the hotel for a night though, the front desk specialist with whom I spoke mentioned that they had free VIP tickets for the event for guests. So that was disappointing because we'd spent plenty on the event tickets already. I wish that perk had been advertised. The people with whom I was traveling have been visiting for YEARS, staying at this hotel and going to the Fair, and no body has ever mentioned this before.

The included breakfast is anything off the menu until 11 AM, which is really nice since many hotel breakfasts end much earlier. The truffles, sweet tea and other goodies at the front desk were also a nice treat. One of our three rooms had robes and slippers -- my room was bigger but didn't have those items. I really appreciated the filtered water dispenser in the vending area. Also, the housekeeping staff and valet staff were very nice to speak with.

In terms of value, I must admit that my stay was generously covered by a family member. Hotel Indigo is worth the money, I believe, but it would be beyond my budget.

Staying in downtown Asheville is absolutely recommended because it's a fantastic scene.

Room Tip: My room looked over the highway which, if the window was open, was noticeable. But that doesn't...
Green Features: This hotel has some special sustainable features I appreciate. Having filtered water dispensers rather than bottled water is a great idea!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing a detailed account of your feedback with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your visit to our boutique mountain town. Check out our facebook page for the "inside scoop" on specials we offer!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We were treated so well - from the phone call prior to our visit to the moment we checked out with two toddlers, two dogs, a set of parents and a set of grandparents. Of course the amenities were awesome, but more memorable was the wonderfully pleasant cleaning staff and the desk people - particularly the fun consierge,
Kie, who carried on an animated five-minute conversation with a three year old! These people do it right!

Stayed October 2014
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us! I am so glad we were able to delight each member of your family. Please let us know how we can be of service in the future.

Warmly,

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Our family of four spent 2 nights here in August. The hotel is situated by a motorway, which makes it easy to find. Our room was on the motorway side, but it wasn't too noisy. The bonus of having a room on this side, is that you get to see the mountains when you are in bed - beautiful!

Hotel Indigo is about 4 minutes walk to the Pinball Museum (not open every day - check their website) which I highly recommend. Also about 5 minutes to the visitor center - great information, and the trolley tour starts from there too. And maybe 8 minutes from the main shopping street.

The Hotel Indigo appears to be quite new. We did not have trouble parking our standard size SUV car, but if you had a large SUV I would recommend using their valet parking as the spaces are a little small.

The lifts were reliable, and came quickly. The rooms were much bigger than expected, and the shower was huge! Modern decor, with comfy beds. We could charge our iPods on the TV, with a USB lead. Huge window with a view over the mountains, and a good range of TV channels.

The staff were nice too, and gave us a good map and directions.

The downside is no swimming pool, and not really any breakfast options - just seemed like you could get if find etc from the bar area.

However, plenty of lovely food places nearby... We recommend Early Girl Eatery for breakfast, farm burger, woolworths soda fountain bar. I will review those separately.

Stayed August 2014
I am overjoyed that you had such a spectacular experience with us in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina! The oneFIFTYone Boutique Bar & Kitchen serves a phenomenal array of made-from-scratch breakfast options, in addition to lunch and dinner. We look forward to serving you on your next trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains!

Menlo Park, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

It's sad to give only two stars to a hotel this luxurious, but there were some serious problems. First, some good things. We had a beautiful suite with a huge living room and huge bathroom, with elegant furniture and decor. The bedroom had great blackout curtains and a white noise generator to help drown out the freeway noise (all the suites face the freeway). The staff tries hard. It's within walking distance of downtown. The breakfast package is very good.

Now for the bad: When we logged into the hotel's WiFi, we were greeted with a screen showing that the WiFi had been hacked (see photo). We verified that the WiFi had been hacked by running a network trace -- all the Internet traffic was diverted to a mysterious location, meaning that the hackers could be intercepting all your Internet browsing. We had one of the desk staff (I believe Brad) come up to our room, and he verified this hack on his own cell phone.

To make this problem worse, the staff assured us the next morning that that their IT people fixed the hack, but our network traces showed that it wasn't fixed, for the whole two days we were there. So we had to use our cell phones for email and other sensitive things the entire time we were there. To make this problem still worse, the desk staff person promised us a room credit both for the inconvenience and because we were the first guest to notice the problem. But on checkout, there was no credit! The (different) desk clerk claimed she was unable to give us a credit and that the managers were unavailable to talk to us. Despite the desk clerk's promise that the managers would get back to us when they were available, no one ever did.

Some other problems: Unlike any other suite I've stayed in, the computer desk was in the bedroom, not the living area. That prevented one us from using the computer while the other of us was asleep (admittedly this was less of problem than usual since the Internet was hacked). Also, while the desk and nightstand lamps were very elegant, they had no place to plug in either the computer or mobile electronics. We had to get a power strip from the staff for the computer and crawl under the desk to plug it in, and I wound up charging my cell phone in the kitchen area. Finally, the thermostat for the entire suite was in the living room, not the bedroom, so sleeping with the door closed messed up the temperature feedback.

I hate to give two stars to what otherwise would be a five star hotel on quality, but there were way too many bugs during our stay.

Room Tip: If you don't get a suite, ask for a room facing away from the freeway.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed the luxurious accommodations of our penthouse suites. Upon investigation, it was discovered that our landing page was hacked as a prank, however our internet remained entirely secure. I can understand how concerning it must have been to think that your information might be at risk. We would be honored to be of service to you in the future.

Warmest Regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed here for our 5th Anniversary. We got our room through hotwire and save over $100 per night. Normally I don't spend this much on a room, but I splurged for our Anniversary. The room was great! Comfortable beds, large shower, and hardwood floors. Loved the shower, wish I could take it home. Very clean and safe. We stayed on the highway side on the 4th floor and slept fine, we were not disturbed by highway noise at all. We had a queen bed, which was fine because that is what we have at home. However, for the same price we normally expect a King bed anywhere else. The only bad thing to report about this hotel was the parking. There was valet for an extra fee, but I feel like I over paid a little too much to start with, so I am not paying extra for someone to park my car. We drove my husband's truck which was a no, no. There was not enough room in the front of the hotel to get into the parking garage with our truck. Every time we came back to the hotel we had to make a U-turn in the street. There was barely enough space to go down the spiral ramp to the lower level. Then there were never big enough spots open, so we would have to got to the top level with the small spiral ramp again. The last night we stayed, there were only 2 spots left on the lower level. One was no good because a jeep parked over the line. The last option was a tight squeeze. It took me a while to get parked, so much so that the security/parking attendant came to help. And on top of all of that there was construction going on outside the hotel. This was the 2nd weekend in October, so hopefully they are done by now. All and All it was a good experience, but we will not be staying here again. It is out of our normal price range and the parking was not good. But if you have a little extra money to splurge with and drive a small car you should be fine. Look on hotwire first. I wrote a similar review to the hotel website and they rejected it because I reference other hotels. The only reference to other hotels I made was that I normally would expect a King instead of Queen for the price I paid. I didn't name a specific hotel brand.

montgomery village MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We basically liked this hotel. We were in a suite on the northwest corner. The views of the mountains on both sides form the floor to ceiling windows were spectacular. We were able to walk to everything we wanted downtown. The bathroom was spacious, with a huge tile/glass shower and separate tub. The staff were all helpful and friendly. It is right next to a highway so the traffic noise is more of the white noise variety than the horn honking traffic jam variety. It is dog friendly which may explain that the rooms had area rugs instead of wall to wall which didn't bother me. On the down side, it seemed off in little details: it's a new building and the room lay out made one wonder: what were they thinking? Especially when you're paying for a suite. There was one tiny closet in the bedroom so no place to hang coats when you came in and no place really to put suitcases. I realize I'm not at home but I've seen better storage in a Holiday Inn Express. Then there was a locked door to a utility room, in our room. So what I wonder happens when maintenance has to access whatever is in there? One wonders why these issues weren't thought about when whoever at corporate looked at the blueprints! I'd stay there again but the details are why I'd say 'very good' and not 'excellent'.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown? Share your experiences!