“Nice amenities in a strange location” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #15 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
GreenLeadersGold level
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Nice amenities in a strange location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed here on a Priceline "deal," and was disappointed to find myself in an island between two busy streets, one a major thoroughfare. The parking lot was basically empty when I arrived, but I was given a room on the third floor. The staff who greeted me seemed unfocused and a little confused. When I asked the desk clerk if I could please have a room on a higher floor, I was told that with my type of reservation, I could only have a room on the third or fourth floors. Gone are the days of first-rate treatment through Priceline! The hotel itself is one of the ultra-modern styles along the lines of an Aloft or, on a slightly lower scale, a W. The room itself was nicely supplied and decorated, but small. The bed, labelled as queen-sized, was cush but small. The shower was glass-enclosed and outstanding. The floors are a cool laminate, much more sanitary than carpets, but cool to the feet. A bedside rug would be a nice addition. Due to the road noise, I finally had to ask for the room on the fourth floor, which held a king-sized bed. This room was a little larger and a little quieter. The bed was ultra comfortable, the toiletries were nice but nonscented. There is no refrigerator, but there were excellent coffee supplies and a good coffee bar downstairs. I ultimately had a satisfactory stay, and the staff worked to amend the early check-in experience. I could recommend the hotel, with the caveat that you should ask for a room on a higher floor.

Room Tip: Insist on a room on the higher floors and away from the highway.
Green Features: The hotel seems to have a focus on a nonallergenic environment.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed our ultra-comfortable beds and delectable coffee! I am sorry to hear that your initial impression was not the best. We can certainly ensure that we reserve a King room on a higher floor for you in the future, to avoid the highway side of the hotel. A bedside rug sounds like something we can certainly provide on your next visit, just let us know! We look forward to serving you next time!

Warm Regards,

Guest Service Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Close to downtown...short walk.
Great bathroom and shower...pillows and bed.
Our room had separate room for dressing and breakfast with mini kitchen, very cozy.
Wonderful staff.
Good drinks and food and light breakfast available on main floor

Room Tip: Ask the front desk or bar tender for where to go or anything else. They are most helpful and friend...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much for these kind words! I am delighted that you enjoyed our spacious, boutique suites! It was our pleasure to serve you during your visit to Asheville. We look forward to your next visit!

Honolulu, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Hotel is in an excellent location to take in all of downtown Asheville, NC. The rooms are quite spacious, very modern. The staff, though attempting to be present and helpful, acted like they were in a dorm room in a College...they may well have been students with summer jobs.

They acted like kids playing at "the job" of running a hotel. The atmosphere was chaotic and we were happy to get out of the lobby area and up to our room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. It is heartbreaking to read that our team did not treat you with the professionalism and courtesy each of our guests deserve. I deeply apologize for the reception you received with us, and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you bringing this oversight to our attention. Allow me to assure you that this will be addressed and corrected immediately. If there is anything we can do to put your mind at ease, please contact me directly.

Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

First, this is a great location, within walking distance of downtown. However, when we got to our room it was not the cleanest. There were pieces of paper outside the door -- no big deal -- but once inside there were human hairs all over. I can deal with that. What I cannot deal with is the disgusting toilet. When I told the desk clerk upon checkout about the condition of the toilet (I had a picture, which is not appropriate to post), she did not seem overly concerned. I want to make it clear that I was not looking for any type of remuneration: I simply hoped that the staff of a hotel where I paid over $300 would feel the urgency I felt when it comes to cleanliness. She did not. She said she would talk to housekeeping and seemed to brush me off. Ok.

The staff in general were not very friendly or helpful. From the parking attendant, who told us not to bother trying to check in to our room yet, to the desk clerk our first day, who was less than welcoming, the staff never made us feel "at home." The morning of checkout there was a knock at our door at 9:15 am waking us up. It was someone on the staff who said they would "check back later." How about after check-out time?

We wanted to stay at the Hotel Indigo because it was "pet friendly." It is really "pet tolerant." Most upscale pet-friendly hotels go out of their way to welcome their furry guests, but this hotel didnt even have a water dish in the room when I asked for one. Fortunately I brought my own. And their dog walking area is a small plot that can barely accommodate one dog (see photo).

In all, I would not recommend Hotel Indigo for any reason. Their wifi was spotty, the rooms were less than clean, and the staff was not welcoming. I stay in a lot of hotels, and mostly upscale hotels, but Hotel Indigo will not be getting my business again, nor will it be getting my recommendation.

• Stayed September 2013
Jamie B, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to write us such a thorough review. Your feedback is essential in our quest to constantly improve. We strive to provide supreme customer service and immaculately- cleaned rooms and I am just devastated that this was not the experience you received. I would like to invite you to contact me personally so that we can resolve your unique situation. My email is jbratcher@hlihotels.com.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Our most recent stay was wonderful! Not only did they upgrade us, but gave us a penthouse suite! Awesome view from balcony, short walk from hotel to downtown, and it was our anniversary night with the IHG Group! I highly recommend getting set up with this group and getting a credit card thru them. Soooooo many rewards!

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for this fabulous review! Our goal is to create beautiful memories for our guests, and I am thrilled that we were able to make your anniversary special. We appreciate your loyalty with IHG Rewards Club! Please let us know if there is ever any way that we can make future stays more enjoyable.

Warm Wishes,

Brevard, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just came home from an overnight in Asheville where we stayed at Hotel Indigo. I mentioned when making a reservation with hotels.com that it was our anniversary and we preferred a room near the top. We enjoyed a great room on the ninth floor and found a bottle of wine, crystal stemware and chocolate from French Broad Chocolates awaiting us with a beautifully-written note. Although we spent little time in our room--the hotel is walking distance to the many restaurants, music venues, and bars downtown Asheville offers--midnight found is in our extremely quiet room in a super comfortable king bed. I am very particular about pillows and often carry my own, but no need here. The pillows were sleep-inducing. Hotel is very clean with large showers. The filtered water available on our floor was perfect for hydrating after a night of libations. Although we live less than an hour from Asheville, this is our hotel of choice when celebrating the city. Oh, and valet parking is complimentary.

Room Tip: Because the hotel is dog-friendly, we chose to stay near a top floor, as dogs are usually near the b...
Green Features: The hotel is very environmentally conscious. A plastic bag is available for recyclable waste and toilets use little water but work perfectly.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for this fabulous review! It is always our pleasure to find little ways to surprise our guests. I am delighted to see that you enjoyed our comfortable bedding, chic design, and convenient downtown Asheville location. We look forward to serving you next time!

Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Decided to take a long weekend getaway in Asheville with my wife. Went looking for a location within walking distance to downtown Asheville and found this Indigo Hotel. We had stayed in another Indigo in Chicago once and loved that one so why not try another one!. So glad we did. The location is perfect close to everything downtown. Downtown hotel with free self parking was a big bonus too though you can valet if you prefer for a fee. The hotel is bright, modern and the king room was great. The large walk in shower was a nice surprise as well. The hotel staff was extremely friendly. The front desk and door attendant always wished us a nice day on the way out and welcome back upon our return. The maid service was great and she was so friendly and asked us if we needed anything each time she saw us in the hallway.

Highly recommended for anyone who wants walking distance to shops, restaurants and people watching in downtown Asheville!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for this phenomenal review! We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our beautiful decor, luxurious walk-in showers, and friendly, knowledgeable team. We hope to see you back in Asheville again soon!

Guest Service Manager

Been to Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown? Share your experiences!