“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The room was very clean and modern. Came with a Keurig coffee maker in the room which was nice. Hotel is at the edge of downtown and everything is easily walkable. The grove arcade is about 2 blocks away. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Barbara K, General Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review!
We're looking forward to your return visit with us!
Regards,
Barbara Kulwiec

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Hotel Indigo is an easy walk to everything downtown and to the visitor center, as well as easy access to the expressway. Our sixth-floor room had a spectacular view; sunrise over the mountains was breathtaking. The room was quite large, as was the bathroom. Very comfortable beds. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Free parking was a bonus.

Room Tip: Sixth-floor, corner room was very light and offered beautiful views of the mountains.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We do have the best views of the mountains all around us. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay.
please come visit again soon!
Kind regards,
Delmont, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The first thing you notice at the Indigo Hotel is how nice and friendly the people are. Everyone is willing to help out without asking. The hotel itself is at the interstate end of downtown Asheville so you can walk through the entire downtown and return without missing a thing. Grove Arcade shopping is 2 short blocks. Pack Square about 5 blocks. Visitor's Center a short 2 blocks in the opposite direction. Start a trolley tour of the city there.

There are some quirky things about the hotel you might need to know. We chose a king room and our friends chose one with 2 queen beds. Though the prices were about the same, their room was much, much larger, was on a corner with windows on either side and they had robes and slippers to use and a large vanity in the bathroom. Our room was smaller with one small window, no robes/slippers and a curtain covering the closet instead of a door, a single sink and small vanity in the bathroom. We enjoyed our room but wondered about the discrepancy in size/cost ratio. So - if you are going, ask for a corner queen room. The decor is modern minimalist; Keurig coffee makers are a plus. Bed very comfortable, quiet.

Caution - the drive ramp to the parking is very narrow and winding. We let the valet negotiate the ramp the first time and it was well worth the tip! You swipe your room card to open the gate and to return on the elevator from the garage to the lobby/room. Our card did not work and so we had to walk all around the garage to the other side of the hotel, then exit where the cars do, walk up the sidewalk to get back to the hotel lobby. Unfortunately the weather was sleeting and the wind blowing, so it wasn't a pleasant experience. That said, we enjoyed the hotel, the people, the location. We would definitely return!

The bathrooms

Room Tip: Two queen beds on the corner are large with windows on both sides for a great view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Bid on a 3.5 star hotel with Priceline. We needed a pet friendly hotel. From what I could figure out on line, I guessed we'd get Crowne Plaza. Turns out we won Hotel Indigo through Priceline's Express Deals. We were pleasantly surprised, although the same room was only slightly more expensive had we just gone through the hotel's site directly.

I called the hotel in advance and asked if they would give us two beds. They don't have to make such a guarantee when you book through a site like Priceline. But they were very nice and agreed.

I wasn't initially pleased by the amount of time it took us to check into the room. We called from the room (11am) to ask for an earlier than 3pm check-in. We arrived at noon and were informed the room wasn't ready. Apparently, the rooms with two beds had not been cleaned yet. So we went into town for lunch, came back, and the room still wasn't ready. We ended up getting in at 2pm. So the hotel fulfilled it's policy by getting us in before 3pm but they did know we were in town and to top things off, we're clear that we had a car sick pooch. I would have appreciated them chaging the housekeeping plan to accommodate us a little earlier.

But having said that, it was all up hill from there. The bar is good. The food was good. The folks at the front desk are very nice. The concierge personnel are friendly. They had nice live entertainment on Saturday night. The location is ideal. In fact, we had a very short walk to the beautiful Catholic Church for mass on Sunday. And the rooms are great. They are big, and comfortable, with a great big shower.

I recommend this hotel to anyone. It was especially good for me with my two dogs in tow.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies you were not able to check-in early. Please know we always strive to accommodate our guests and I'm sorry to hear we were not able to do so upon your arrival.
Please come visit us again soon!
Warm regards,
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love Indigos. They are comfortably quirky with decor unique to their location. This one in downtown Asheville is no exception. I stayed there one night this past winter; visited the Grove Arcade,met friends for dinner, stopped by a local Cuban nightspot, had an after-hours coffee....all within walking distance of the hotel. The staff was friendly and gracious, and the room was as comfy as any I have ever enjoyed. This has become my go-to place whenever I visit Asheville!

Room Tip: I had a room on the "town" side ( not facing I-240) , and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very hip and comfortable ambiance. Contemporary decor, comfortable bed, and a very spacious bathroom. Would have wished to be slightly closer to downtown restaurants and shops. Room was comfortable, attractively decorated, and quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Due to closed roads between US441 and Gatlinburg, TN, and the alternate route being longer than we wanted to travel for a one-night stay, we decided to go onto Asheville a day earlier than planned. We already had a two-night stay booked with a Biltmore Estate package at another hotel for 02-04 April, but we did not have a reservation for the night of 01 April.
I’d been planning to visit Asheville for several years but had just never worked it into a trip. Over my research years, the Indigo Hotel in Asheville had caught my eye and I remembered it. My spouse agreed the alternate route around the mountains to Gatlinburg and back the next morning wasn’t worth it on this trip and we set the GPS for directions to the Indigo Hotel for a one-night stay.
Even though some of the ramps in the Asheville area can be sort of confusing, the GPS brought us right to the hotel. There were a few parking spaces very near the front door for registering guests and parking under the hotel after registering. The front desk attendances were friendly and very helpful in answering any questions I had, since this was my first visit to Asheville. Being a Priority Club member with IHG, we were upgraded to a corner King Room with a view of both the mountains to the west and the city to the south.
Having visited a W Hotel once in Asia, I’d put this Indigo Hotel in that category of style. The decor was quite modern and quirky with bright colored and featured contemporary art. The Indigo Hotel- Asheville is quite small compared to most IHG hotels and has something I’d never seen before with IHG. It had quest floors on the lower floors and private condos on the top few floors. Each of the condo owners had designated parking spaces, while others were open to all guests. There are two elevators that announce the floors at each stop.
After checking-in, we settled at the bar/bistro. While my spouse checked email and messages on an I-Pad, I was pleasantly surprised to see a selection of small-batch Bourbons and ordered Basil Hayden on the rocks, to soothe my frustrations from having to cancel Gatlinburg. We did not order any food from the bistro, so I cannot provide any comments on its menu or quality. The hotel location is very near and even walking distance to many unique downtown restaurants, shops, etc.
The bathroom and the glass shower are very large and cavernous by today’s hotel standards. I liked the contemporary style it and the room offered. The water pressure in the shower on the 8th floor seemed to be a little weaker than I’d expect. The room layout was function and stylish, but some of the furniture such as the desk showed some wear and tear, but this did not affect their function. Sitting at the desk offered that great view of the mountains. Rather than carpet, the floors were finished with some sort of flooring that resembled a dark hardwood. There were some echoes in the room and especially in the bathroom. We used the wireless Internet with the provided access code and it worked well, but we did not turn on the TV.
The hotel in right next to a busy highway, but I do not remember hearing anything from Room 801. This was a very peaceful night’s sleep with a great view even with pillows that did not entirely suit me. One was too little and two were too much…
The hotel bill was sent via email to cut down on paper, prior to check-out. There was a concierge in the lobby-someone you only find in high-end hotels. She spent quite a while trying to find out details of other road closures on the Blue Ridge Pkwy for my planned trip north, even though her expertise was the downtown Asheville area. Thanks! At least now I knew where to find the Pkwy Information Center just east of Asheville.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown? Share your experiences!