“Great weekend stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
“Great weekend stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Indigo for a long weekend in January. The lobby staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean, as was our room. A nice hotel overall - the rooms were bright and spacious, bathrooms were clean, and outdoor-themed decor was modern and trendy. The parking lot has tight spaces, but we had no problem finding a spot. I'd definitely go back!

Room Tip: Rooms ending in 07 and 09 are right by the elevator - go for rooms ending in 01 if you can request i...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

915 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Hotel Indigo was better than we could have hoped for! My boyfriend and I booked two nights for a post-New Year's mid-week getaway to Asheville. Hotel Indigo was the ideal location- walking distance from all of Downtown Asheville, spacious, and reasonably priced. Check-in was quick and easy, and our King room was clean and well stocked. We agreed that it had one of the most comfortable hotel beds we had slept in. The styling is very modern and the decor is fun. It's a great value for the quality. It's the perfect location for exploring Asheville by foot in a comfortable, hip environment.

We hugely enjoyed this first part of our stay- the second part, not quite so much. My boyfriend got food poisoning the night before we were supposed to leave, rendering us unable to head home as planned. The hotel staff was incredibly sensitive and flexible as we holed up for the day. Crystal (front desk receptionist) gave us a late checkout and guaranteed our room for another night, giving us a few hours to plan, as well as some bottles of water. We decided to stay, and ended up ordering room service for dinner. Bryn (room service/bar) went above and beyond, creating a food-poisoning friendly off-the-menu dinner for us (broth, rice, and a Alka-Seltzer thrown in for good measure). We were ready to leave the next morning, thanks in part to the kind and helpful service.

We'll definitely be staying with the Hotel Indigo the next time we're in Asheville, and I highly recommend it to other travelers. It is a great value, a great location, and is expertly staffed. Thanks again to the staff there!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had an excellent stay at Hotel Indigo over New Year's Weekend 2012. Hotel Indigo is pet friendly so our two boston terriers were also able to enjoy their stay. The hotel is within walking distance of downtown. The food was great and the staff helpful and friendly. Our room was on average $260/nt.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher room
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Planned a last minute driving trip from New Orleans to Asheville to see the Biltmore at Christmas. Surprisingly, the drive(10 hours) was pleasant for both going and returning home. We didn't feel like spending $400.00 per night at the Grand Bohemian so we opted for a $170 per night rate at the Hotel Indigo. Easy to find, modern and comfortable. Would definitely consider this brand at other locations as well. Good job, hotel Indigo.

Room Tip: We spent a little more on a corner room and enjoyed the panoramic mountain views.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AVL-Indigo-AGM, Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Brimstonekeeper,
Thank you for your wonderful review and for staying with us over the holidays. I am so happy that you enjoyed your visit. We would love to see you return and have another chance to help make your Asheville experience special.
Thanks,
Henry Rice, Assistant General Manager
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I decided to go to Asheville on a whim the week before Christmas and were looking to stay downtown. After arriving several hours early we crossed our fingers and hoped for an early check in. Five minutes later we were in our spacious and comfortable room! The hotel has a modern feel with paintings by local artists decorating the lobby. The staff was friendly and helpful and the location is perfect if walking to local restaurants and nightlife. The Biltmore house is also a quick 10 minute drive away. I've already recommended the Indigo to family that is planning a trip to the area.

Weatherford, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

This hotel was close to the shops/restaurant/bars and very clean and quiet. Staff was helpful. Parking was full the first night, but they allowed us to park out front. We will probably stay there again. Good value.

Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My first mistake was booking through Hotwire instead of directly with the hotel. When booking with a third party, there is little that can be done to resolve any issues at the hotel. Lesson learned.

We arrived on December 27 for a one night stay. We had booked two rooms and had asked that they at least be on the same floor. We arrived at 3:45pm - checkin time was 3. We then proceeded to wait for 45 minutes for our rooms to be ready. We were given a temporary pass to access the garage so that we could park and unload. I was told that they would have a status update on our room within 5 minutes. We found a parking spot and got back to the lobby about 10 minutes later. Still no word on our room. We continued to camp out in the lobby for another 15 to 20 minutes and finally were told our room was ready. I went to the desk and was given keys for one room. When we initially checked in I had been told that we would be in rooms 612 and 613, directly across from each other, however I was only given keys for one room. When I asked about the other room, she had me wait a few minutes and then told me that the room was now available. I expressed my frustration with the delay for checking in and was told that they are not usually busy this time of year and did not have the staff on hand to turn over rooms. I do not work in the hotel industry, nor do I live in Asheville, but I do know that the week between Christmas and New Year is one of the busiest times of year for tourists due to the holiday decorations at Biltmore. Not to mention that anyone could have checked the reservations to see that they were sold out that week and needed to bring in extra staff.

Once we had the keys (I had to go back to the desk to get the keys for the first room as they forgot to give them to me when they gave me the keys for the second room), we headed to the 6th floor only to discovery that room 613 was not cleaned yet - housekeeping was still working in there. We tried to get into room 612, only to discover they had given us keys for room 512. My husband went back downstairs to let them know of the issues. One of the front desk employees ran up 6 flights of stairs to find out what was going on. She let our party into room 612 and sent the correct keys up for them and then put us in room 605. At some point the manager on duty did offer us complimentary breakfast for our troubles.

From what we could tell on the 6th floor, all of the rooms with great views were in the even numbered rooms, and those were the two queen rooms, while the rooms with the king beds faced a brick building. The rooms are very modern. The beds are not very comfortable, unless you like hard mattresses. I did like the bathroom, although some people may prefer a tub, I happened to like the larger walk in shower. They do provide Aveda toiletries which was nice. What I was extremely surprised by was the lack of a mini bar and/or fridge. I was pleasantly surprised by the Keurig machine in the room, although the sweetner/creamer packets could stand to be improved (sweet-n-low was the only option for sugar-free sweetner).

Breakfast the next day was a joke. The dining area is not all that big, and the tables that were empty were covered by dirty dishes. We started to clean tables on our own before someone finally came over to help. I personally was not crazy about the menu choices for breakfast. It seemed very limited in many areas.

Finally, location. Yes the hotel is in downtown Asheville. What you do not realize is that the hotel is directly off of I-240, and really not the best part of town. It is about 1 1/2 - 2 blocks from Grove Arcade, but about 4 blocks from restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room if you want a view - of course you will also be looking out over the h...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear cookmb,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve and continually provide the best guest experience possible. I am sorry that we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. I have taken note of your comments and will be forwarding it to the appropriate departments and be reviewed. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to the area.

Irish V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Hotel Indigo Asheville Downtown? Share your experiences!