“Excellent Food Wonderful Patio” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Modesto

Modesto
1 Page Avenue #138, Asheville, NC 28801 (Downtown Asheville)
828-255-4133
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Modesto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #105 of 565 Restaurants in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Battery Park Ave
Mills River, North Carolina
“Excellent Food Wonderful Patio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner at Modesto very much. The Wood grilled chicken and shrimp with risotto was a great choice. Shrimp scampi also very good done with tomato and olives rather than the usual garlic and oil. Also worth mentioning the excellent bread and oil they start with

• 4 of 5 stars Food

mesa, arizona
“Outstanding pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were hungry while walking to a craft fair and walked past a number of restaurants. We saw Modesto, scanned the menu, and decided to try it. No way this should be number 122 for Asheville. Food was terrific, service attentive and expert. I had an unusual Salade Nicoise. Instead of tuna there was a large slice of perfectly cooked swordfish, with a fried egg. The greens were as fresh as could be 'from our own farm', and the dressing excellent. Free range chicken accompanied my SO's salad. Perfectly cooked. A wonderful pleasant meal at very reasonable prices. One of the best meals on our trip.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Kansas
“"Heavenly"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were drawn in to this restaurant for lunch by the friendly and knowledgeable waiter who described the current day's selections (which included fresh lamb from the chef's farm!). My companion and I both had dishes based on the day's special which was redfish-and-shrimp cakes expertly spiced, mine an excellent salad and his with a combination of poached egg, potato, and a sort of tomato jam that I don't remember what they called. At any rate he described his meal as "heavenly."
The whole experience is perhaps colored by the pleasures of being on vacation and at a romantic sidewalk cafe, but I really felt that the whole staff of this place takes special care.

• Visited June 2013
Asheville, North Carolina
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I'm a huge fan of this chef's other restaurants (Salsa, Chorizo) and had been wanting to try this place for a while. It's my understanding that this restaurant is sort of his "baby" right now and he works in the kitchen to this one most of the time. So, with that said, Hector has impressed me again. We started off with the tomato basil soup and the truffle fries. The soup was just ok...maybe a little to acidic and smoky for my taste, but the truffle fries may have been my favorite part of the meal. I'm a firm believer that truffle oil make everything good, but these fries were something else. They are crispy baked potato slices in a parmesan truffle sauce...divine. For mains we had the wild mushroom pasta and the pork osso bucco. The pork dish and it's accompaniments of risotto and kale were unbeatable. I loved the kale preparation. The wild mushroom pasta was really good in terms of flavor and the fresh homemade pasta, but the mushrooms didn't seem very fresh and were a little chewy, nonetheless the meal was enjoyable. All in all I would HIGHLY recommend the truffle fries and the pork osso bucco, but I would probably skip on the other two dishes if I went back for something else. We didn't try the pizzas, but they looked really good too. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for italian in Asheville. As always, the lunch menu is much more affordable than the dinner menu.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Great menu to try new things!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

First time having fried green tomatoes and they were very tasty! The cantaloupe gazpacho was out of his world!!!!

• Visited June 2013