“fabulous place!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Admiral is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 644 Restaurants in Asheville
Cross street: Michigan Avenue
Brownsville, Vermont
“fabulous place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

exceptionally carefully prepared meals in a nice, kind of simple decore, place. food is dynamite; but don't understand that it is so hard to get in here. in a very strange part of west asheville next to a junk yard or something similar. all a bit recherche, and cute. but i'd say it was worth the trouble.

• Visited March 2013

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Finally got reservations -- worth the wait.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We tried The Admiral is West Asheville last week and were delighted. My son lives in Asheville and we had tried several times to get reservations, but it’s a very small place and it just never worked out. Last week, my wife was able to get reservations for the three of us, though we had to eat at 5:00 pm to get them.

Several patrons were eating at the bar and if barstools are all right for you, they’re first come first served — a possible solution to the reservations problem. Otherwise, call weeks in advance.

There is a nice covered patio outside with gas fireplace. The day we visited it was quite cool and rainy, so we gathered close to the fireplace and had a beer while we were waiting. Food isn’t served on the patio.

While I’m on the subject of beer, the beers on tap were two selections from nearby Wedge Brewing and that place makes nothing but great beer. I highly recommend you visit there, too.

I was somewhat doubtful when I first saw the exterior. The building is one story, painted concrete block as I recall, and doesn’t look promising. As best I can tell, there is only one parking space in the “lot” next to the patio (plus another handicapped space). But you can’t judge a book, as they say. While the interior is not lavish, it’s attractive and nice enough.

The food is outstanding, the best we’ve had in a town full of great restaurants (we visit Asheville a lot). The Admiral is in West Asheville, across the river from the River Arts district and it might be a little difficult to find without a map or GPS. It’s a good ways from downtown Asheville, but it’s located in the downtown area of West Asheville.

We ordered a dozen oysters on the half shell to start and they were perhaps the best I’ve ever had, salty, briny, tasting like the ocean. They were also expensive at $36 a dozen. The Admiral is not cheap.

I had black grouper cooked in banana leaves. My wife ordered the pork tenderloin and my son chose pasta carbonara with duck confit and pancetta. We agreed that all three were outstanding.
My wife isn’t much of a dessert person, but she decided to order a strawberry parfait made with fresh strawberries, almonds and cake. She claims she still can’t stop thinking about it.

The total bill came to $150 including the tip for the three of us. That’s expensive for Asheville but it included two beers and an expensive glass of wine, the dozen oysters, three entrees and dessert. It felt like good value for the money.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fernandina Beach, Florida
“Another great meal at The Admiral”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

We eat here every time we come to Asheville. Would not miss it. I think the best seats in the house are at the bar. Bar staff are just right. Will talk if you want to talk, always busy, so you have a lot to watch. They make interesting drinks and will tell you what they are making. So, that part is always fun. And, then there is the food. House Smoked Duck Breast with an amazing Mole Sauce. The Argula salad with apples and Humbolt Fog Blue Cheese just gets better every time we order it. Last night, I had mussels. They were perfect, the sauce is rustic and full of flavor and you get plenty of bread and a spoon to make sure you get every last bit.

asheville
“Over-rated like the city of Asheville”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Having lived in Asheville for 24 years I was not surprised to find yet another over-hyped, not very impressive restaurant...food decent, atmosphere crummy but oh so cool don't you know. What Asheville needs is Fine Dining with great food, great atmosphere, etc.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“The best food you'll ever have at a dive bar.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Think of the Admiral as a dive bar with an amazing kitchen. Inside it's dark, the unadorned tables are cheap and beat up, and a few decades of cigarette smoke have stained the walls (no smoking nowadays). Once you finally get to your table, late even with a reservation, and when the waitstaff finally make it to you, then the Admiral shines. The food is great. I recommend going with a selection of small plates (actually not that small - two would make a meal). Their beef tar tar might be the best I've had. They have a good selection of interesting wines at reasonable prices. The two of us ate our fill had two glasses of wine and a cocktail apiece and escaped for under $100, which is a steal for the quality of the food. It's rough around the edges, but I really dig it, partly because it is rough around the edges. It's funky and it's got personality. Just be prepared to be patient.

And I have to say that the other reviewer that said that "it's a dance club that's pretending to be a restaurant" or something like that, has no idea what they are talking about. That's complete gibberish.