“Great staff, funky, sexy European castle vibe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Boston Way, Asheville, NC 28803   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
North Carolina
“Great staff, funky, sexy European castle vibe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I just stayed for two nights for a mini-anniversary celebration. Every staff member we came in contact with was pleasant and helpful...valets, housekeepers, bartenders, waiters. Al at the front desk should be the role model for all hotel front desk staff. He quickly and quietly switched our room to something more appropriate for our anniversary celebration. He even sent champagne to our room to make up for someone else's misguided room selection.

We really enjoyed the decor and overall vibe of the hotel: kind of a European hunting lodge/castle meets Game of Thrones with some sexy velvet thrown in for fun. We highly encourage this hotel as a romantic getaway. We've stayed at a half dozen places in Asheville and will definitely be coming back.

Pefect location for strolling around Biltmore Village and only 5 minutes by car to downtown.

The only reason we withheld a 5 star rating was because the "spa" really isn't. We had very nice massages so the staff is fine. The "spa," however, is what appears to be one room on the third floor that's been converted to a four room massage suite. Tiny three seat "lobby" that one shares with the usual gifts and products for sale. Not exactly welcoming. The real kicker is there are no bathrooms in the "spa!" My wife had to be escorted up to the fourth floor conference room bathrooms before her massage...in her robe and in front of a bemused group of men having a meeting. So, don't go to the Bohemian for a spa experience. For that you need to head to the Grove Park Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

When asked to name Asheville's best high-end hotel, most people might offer another property. We spent 3 days/nights here and it was a wonderful, if pricey, experience. With the detailed furnishings-decor and the ever-changing art displayed everywhere, I never would have guessed that this fine place was only 5 years old --- amaziing. It's location, in the center of the Biltmore Villiage area, allows for excellent walks and browsing. Just 2 miles away is downtown Asheville for easy access to all the City's excellent attractions, restaurants, and always-interesting visitors.

Room Tip: preferably not facing McDowell street
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

After a long day of travel, we were looking forward to arriving at this hotel. At check in, we were told they had a special room for us that was beautiful. Well, we arrived at the room and found the tv on, ironing board out, garbage in the pails, an unmade bed, and wet towels. An added issue was that there was a wedding reception going on right outside of the room. We called immediately to speak to the woman who checked us in, who, after I complained, put us on indefinite hold and seemed to really not care. After calling back again, we spoke to another individual who tried to resolve the issue. A very nice bellman, I believe his name was Drew, was sent to our this room to assist us to a new room. We did not know that in some of the rooms the bathrooms had curtains and no doors, and we requested a bathroom door. The first room they tried to stick us in had curtains, but then, even though they said the hotel was booked, they found another room with a bathroom door that was suitable. What I found most disturbing after this 45 minute situation, was that the woman who checked us in could not have cared less and never even thought of following up. When we went in the lobby later, she ignored us. I will say that the bellman was lovely and provided a fruit and cheese platter to help the situation. The rest of the staff at this hotel were great..super friendly and helpful. I will say that this is a nice property in a good location, but I do think certain staff need some customer service training.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share some feedback regarding your experience. I greatly appreciate the favorable comments about our nice property, good location and friendly and helpful staff. Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced upon arrival. It sounds like you may have arrived when we were experiencing some computer issues recently. We clearly did not handle your arrival up to our normal high standards and I’m very sorry. I can assure you that we have already taken the necessary corrective measures. I hope that we will have another opportunity to show you our normal high level of service at check-in and regain your trust.
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night. I was traveling on business, and she was tagging along. We had to move to another hotel for my conference the next day, but decided to go in a day early and check out Asheville since it was our first time there. I am a Marriott Rewards member, and picked this hotel due to the high rewards category rating and a decent price.
The rooms were nice, well decorated. We stayed in the building that was across the street from the main building. It was kind of weird having to cross a busy street to get to our room after we checked in, but we had a bellman bring our bags over so it was no big deal. I forget the bellman's name, but he was very nice and helpful (not to mention super-tall). He gave us information about the area and recommendations for dinner that were spot-on. There was no bathroom door, just a curtain to draw that I was not too fond of, but the shower, ohhhh the shower... Probably one of the best showers that I have ever been in. Ever. I was only there for one day, and I took three showers! It was also nice that the on-demand movies on the TV were all free, not usually what I expect at a hotel.
Don't expect much in terms of amenities, they have a restaurant and a spa, neither of which I used, but there was no pool or jacuzzi, which is probably because of the limited space they have. The hotel is located in Biltmore Village, there are some shops and a few restaurants, but everything seems to shut down pretty early. If you are visiting the Biltmore Estate, then the location is probably pretty good, but in the future I will probably opt for a hotel that is located downtown. That being said, the hotel is relatively close to downtown, a short drive. I was very impressed with downtown Asheville, the diverse "types" of people and food and music scene. I will definitely be back to visit the city. As much as a hotel in downtown Asheville might be better suited to my tastes, that shower just might make me stay here again.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

We just spent two nights at this property and were thoroughly delighted. You would think that you're stepping into a place that has been there forever, but it's deceptively young. The Old World "hunt club" furnishings are unique and luxurious, the rooms spacious and well-appointed, and the location is terrific (right across the street from the entrance to the Biltmore). The staff was delightful, from the friendly valet team to the incredibly helpful reception staff. Overall, a unique and delightful place to stay!

Room Tip: Stay in the main building for the convenience.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

Robyn Hines helped my hubby make my anniversary stay outstanding. It was magical. We were welcomed and pampered like we were the owners. The goodies waiting for us when we got there..........delicious. Dinner at the restaurant in the hotel..........mouth watering. We even got back to the room after dinner and found a bath run. Love love love.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chattanooga, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Decent gym and a good breakfast - would suggest a rate that includes it. Don't get your hopes up, overall. Clean and comfortable but the small rooms and cheeky wanna-be lodge interior make me likely to go back to the Grove Park Inn next time I'm in town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jeff C, Director of Food & Beverage at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
We are sorry that you did not enjoy a typical stay with us. We make several room sizes available, we are sorry you did not find this one to your satisfaction. I am curious about your remarks on the valet team and would appreciate any further feedback you might be inclined to offer. I remain available via telephone or email and am happy to discuss any other aspects of your visit.

regards,

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!