“A gem of a hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
Charleston, South Carolina
“A gem of a hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I came at the last minute, not knowing what to expect; The staff, service, art, the immaculate bedroom ( HUGE!) was serene and quiet. A wonderful spa and an amazing collection of art.
The staff were very kind, and went out of their way. I loved it!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the third floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

We stayed here one night so that would could tour the Biltmore the next day, and we now wish that we had booked another night as well. When we arrived at the grand bohemian, we were waited on hand and foot until we left the next morning. We were even offered an upgrade to one of their suites which huge and the decor was awesome. We even had our 15 month old in tow and there was plenty of room for him to "stretch his legs". My husband and I will definitely be back soon (and leave our toddler with his grandparents) :)

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just stayed here this weekend and i was so satisfied! Amazing staff, amazing service, just perfect! Best location- across from the biltmore estate as well as biltmore village. Just cross the street and you have access to the village shops and restaurants. The decor of the hotel is so unique and interesting. The guest rooms are the best, the beds are so comfortable, rooms are so inviting, and they have a unique floor plan. It is definitely the best place to stay in asheville.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Greer, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

I was curious about this hotel after driving by it for some time. The room and service were wonderful. Check is was the best I've experienced, seated with wonderful service. I do have a bone to pick...I booked on the hotel's website and called that evening to ensure a King room, but was told the hotel doesn't guarantee bed types. This is the first time I've paid full price for a reservation and been told that. When I checked in I was told all the king bed rooms were gone and I had a room with two queens. Very disappointing. I would have changed hotels if I had known. The Grand Bohemian was very special. Lobby and bathroom were amazing. Beds comfortable, and we ate at the hotel so we didn't have to go outside. I do wish they would reconsider their reservation policy.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

Surprised my hubby for his bday with one night stay. Promotional rate was great (called in for reservation, not standard booking online). When we arrived, pleasantly we were upgraded from manor house to main hotel for free. Rooms spacious and amazingly decorated. Hotel lobby has big fireplace surrounded by couches and comfortable chairs where you can sit and enjoy drink from the bar. We had few appetizers at the bar - my husband enjoyed beer and bacon mussels and I chow down on some fried green tomatoes. Only regret I have is that I have not purchased the CD that played cool lounge music in our room.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We had lunch here numerous times and always enjoyed the ambiance and food. So, when we were planning an impromptu special birthday for my husband in the midst of medical issues, we drove several hours from Atlanta to spend the night and have dinner. The room was a let down, as we were expecting something a bit more luxurious. The single "dormer-style" window made the room seem dark and claustrophobic. There was no mini-bar. There were no electrical outlets at desk or table level for charging devices or using laptop - had to search underneath to plug in anything. The bath opened onto the room with wooden sliding windows, and even when closed, there was not a lot of privacy. There were two chairs for reading (good because so many places only offer one chair), BUT they were very hard and not comfortable. Before discussing dinner I will mention the worst experience. I pulled down the covers to ready the bed for sleeping and immediately spotted a LONG black hair on the sheet. We immediately called the front desk, and a nice woman from housekeeping arrived shortly and agreed with us that it was not good and said she would tell her manager. She changed all of the bedding, including pillow cases. These things can happen anywhere - and it was addressed immediately, but still it was a bit unsettling. As others have mentioned, the train does pass nearby and sounds its horn incessantly, but it did not seem to disturb our sleep through the night.

We went down to have drinks in the lobby, and enjoyed sitting by the four-sided fire. The decor is "faux" hunting lodge - maybe a tad contrived, but pleasant overall. We went to the Red Stag Grill for dinner. My husband ordered his steak medium and it was VERY rare. The side dishes were $4 each. One was mac and cheese, and it was totally bland, tasteless and tepid. I had the Hunter's platter with a variety of cold meat slices and a tiny bit of Brie. The menu said it was served with Lusty Monk Mustard, which did not arrive with the platter. Had to ask the waitress to bring it. She had also forgotten to bring our bread after saying she would be right back with bread. My husband ordered an expensive glass of red wine, and the pour was VERY short. He asked the waitress about it, and she took it back to the bartender and did come back with a tad bit more. Once we finished and took our glasses of wine back to the fire, the waitress came and told us because of our disappointing meal they were comping the glass of wine, which we appreciated. Just wish the overall experience had been better. We will continue visiting for lunch, but won't go out of our way to stay over or have dinner.

Room Tip: We understand rooms in annex are not as desirable as in main building
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to send us feedback regarding your recent visit. I'm disappointed to hear about our service mistakes and apologize that your stay did not go as you expected on your special occasion. Your comments have been shared with the Director of Housekeeping, Director of F&B and our Executive Chef so the necessary corrective measures can be taken. Again, please accept my apology for the inconvenience that you experienced. We would love another opportunity to regain your trust. If I can be of assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

John Luckett
(828-505-2949)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Want to begin with a positive note related to their staff and their food - both were excellent!! However, my room was not clean - trash, rocks, and clothing tags under both beds. The walls in this hotel do not provide privacy - was awakened before 6am by the next door neighbors' talking and hair dryers blowing. At this price point, I do expect more and was extremely disappointed. I left the hotel early because of the noise problem and overall disappointing stay at this hotel claiming to be upscale. Perhaps it was just bad timing, but it was a poor experience. I sent of email of concern/complaint to the front desk manager who certainly acknowledged the unacceptable issues of cleanliness, but made no comment about the noise level issue between the rooms. Nor, did he offer to do anything about it other than 'bait me back' with a gift certificate. Not a chance!! Wish I'd read all the comments on this site before I booked - lots of comments about noise.

Room Tip: Only stayed once....can't advise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
We greatly appreciate the positive comments about our staff and food. We take a lot of pride on both areas. Please accept my apology for the inconvenience that you experienced at our hotel. Your feedback regarding the cleanliness of your room is unacceptable and our Director of Housekeeping has already taken the necessary corrective measures so it does not reoccur in the future. In regards to your noise concern, I apologize you could hear your neighbors and would like another opportunity to assign you a room in a quiet area of the hotel. If I can be of additional assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thanks again!

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!