“Comfort and luxury..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Greenville, SC
“Comfort and luxury..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Conveniently located in Biltmore Village, this very cool hotel is just steps from shopping, dining and art galleries. The decor is funky- European hunting lodge decor. Antlers abound. The room presented a comfortable king size bed with the amenties that you would expect in a high end hotel; coffeemaker, safe, expensive water bottles and a large television. The bathroom was roomy with a great shower and a large tub. If however, you chose to use their bubble bath the price tag was $20. I resisted the urge. We thoroughly enjoyed dining in the Red Stag restaurant for both dinner and breakfast- very good food and service. If you are planning to visit Biltmore Estates you couldn't ask for a better location. One small issue.... the train comes through at 3 a.m. and it sounds like it is bed with you.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was here for a meeting in June and wow! I travel a lot for business and this was a great hotel. Very clean spacious rooms, fantastic bathroom with jetted tub and separate shower. Bed was extremely comfortable with great linens and towels. The staff was great, always very polite and asking if you need anything. The bar and restaurant in the lobby has great food, cocktails and selection of beer. Also the hotel is located right outside the Biltmore and within walking distance to shoppes and restaurants. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Grand Bohemian is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. From the moment we arrived, every staff member we encountered displayed genuine southern hospitality. The hotel is the opposite of every cookie cutter hotel we've stayed in. It is done in a European hunting lodge motif with hunting trophies everywhere. The hotel is decorated with original artwork. Suraces are covered in stone and rustic woods. Our room was large and had both a soaking tub and a tile lined shower. The bed was delightful and the AC barely audible.

My only complaint is that the hotel has busy roads on each side and some of the noise does intrude into the room. We use a white noise app in hotels which drowned out the noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. We could not help but notice that you have completed 97 reviews on TripAdvisor and must travel often so we are very appreciative of you saying that Grand Bohemian Hotel is one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Asheville. Have a wonderful July 4th weekend!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were a little surprised to have a room located in an 'annex' building across the street from the main building, but excited nonetheless. Other than the obvious hassles associated with valet service and parking...it was kind of nice being out of the mainstream of a bustling hotel. Beware and ask which building your room is prior to booking it. Top notch service, comfortable bed, and pleasantly surprising room amenities. No train horns, whistles, or rumblings on our 3 night stay, but we were gone all day and not facing the tracks.

Room Tip: Ask which building and where room window faces to ensure a pleasant stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a corner suite for this hotel and it was spectacular. The furnishings were definitely on the funky side, a cross between hunting lodge and urban sleek (think southern Germany). Never heard the train that was commented on in other reviews and we had an exceptional stay. The bed was super comfortable and the rooms were understated luxury. I almost never use the whirlpool tubs in hotel rooms, because you just never know what is lurking in the lines between guests. I made an exception with this hotel as the room was extremely clean. I was glad I did. Our son slept on the pull-out bed in the living room and said it was not as nice as the bed we slept on, so that was our only negative. We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant and that was terrific as well. Fresh North Carolina blueberry preserves on orange scented waffles were the bomb (also swiped some of hubby's potatoes, which were great, and I don't usually like potatoes). Very friendly staff and valet. Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ellicott City, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel, but there were too many missing or odd elements. First and foremost is its proximity to the train tracks. I can't believe more people don't write about this in their reviews - because of that missing information it took us by surprise. I kinda knew we were in trouble when I found the list of amenities offered by guest services and it included earplugs. At any rate, the midnight train to Georgia came rambling through with its loud whistle, only to be followed about 15 minutes later by another, and another train interrupted our sleep a couple of hours later. Ugh. Notice that previously I said I "found" the information - there was no book in our room explaining the layout of the hotel, how to check out, or where to find ice. After opening all the drawers in the room I finally found the list of amenities available from guest services and a room service menu, but that was it. In fact, I just read today in another posting about the coffee in the morning and beverage in the afternoon - WHAT? Never saw it and never was told about it.

We stayed in the manor house across the street from the main hotel. It's a little inconvenient trying to cross the street every time you want to go over to the main building. I believe they will bring your car over if you request it, but we just walked over to retrieve it when needed. The room itself was clean and the shower was awesome, but as some have said, the decor takes some getting used to. The lobby of the manor house has purple velvet tufted furniture. 'Nuf said. The combination TV/computer in the room was unique and very cool.

Though we did not eat in the restaurant, we did have room service one morning and it was delicious. A hefty gratuity (22%) and delivery fee are included, but those charges are pretty common these days. The one oddity was that the coffee literally came in one cup - not a carafe to keep it warm, which is what I usually see provided by room service. The locationof the hotel, if you are visiting Biltmore, is perfect, and getting around town on foot is no problem.

As I said, I really wanted to love this property, but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. Perhaps it was the difference between staying in the manor house vs. the main hotel. The staff and management were exceptionally friendly, from front desk to valets. I just wish I'd been more informed about where to find things, what was offered, and what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask about proximity to the railroad tracks!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There needs to be a bit of Truth in Advertising with how this hotel is marketed. Ad says: "Nestled in the hills of the Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville". The truth version: Nestled between several quite busy roads, a fire station, a busy train track, with no view of mountains or the like. The ad says: "Just steps from the Biltmore Estate". The truth version: the hotel is just steps from the ENTRANCE to the Biltmore. The estate itself is miles from the gate and I doubt they even let visitors walk from the gate to the house (and believe me - you wouldn't want to make that walk!). We had a nice suite which was well appointed. It fronted a noisy road and we heard train whistles, sirens, motorcycles, and that sort of thing off and on all night. The bed was quite comfortable and other amenities were very nice. We liked the hotel and I'm always willing to pay more to get more. In this case - I felt like we paid more but the value wasn't there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and NOT fronting one of the two busier roads in the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!