You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
“High class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Grand Bohemian is one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in. From the moment we arrived, every staff member we encountered displayed genuine southern hospitality. The hotel is the opposite of every cookie cutter hotel we've stayed in. It is done in a European hunting lodge motif with hunting trophies everywhere. The hotel is decorated with original artwork. Suraces are covered in stone and rustic woods. Our room was large and had both a soaking tub and a tile lined shower. The bed was delightful and the AC barely audible.

My only complaint is that the hotel has busy roads on each side and some of the noise does intrude into the room. We use a white noise app in hotels which drowned out the noise.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JohnLuckett, General Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others. We could not help but notice that you have completed 97 reviews on TripAdvisor and must travel often so we are very appreciative of you saying that Grand Bohemian Hotel is one of the nicest hotels you have stayed in. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Asheville. Have a wonderful July 4th weekend!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were a little surprised to have a room located in an 'annex' building across the street from the main building, but excited nonetheless. Other than the obvious hassles associated with valet service and parking...it was kind of nice being out of the mainstream of a bustling hotel. Beware and ask which building your room is prior to booking it. Top notch service, comfortable bed, and pleasantly surprising room amenities. No train horns, whistles, or rumblings on our 3 night stay, but we were gone all day and not facing the tracks.

Room Tip: Ask which building and where room window faces to ensure a pleasant stay.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, In
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We had a corner suite for this hotel and it was spectacular. The furnishings were definitely on the funky side, a cross between hunting lodge and urban sleek (think southern Germany). Never heard the train that was commented on in other reviews and we had an exceptional stay. The bed was super comfortable and the rooms were understated luxury. I almost never use the whirlpool tubs in hotel rooms, because you just never know what is lurking in the lines between guests. I made an exception with this hotel as the room was extremely clean. I was glad I did. Our son slept on the pull-out bed in the living room and said it was not as nice as the bed we slept on, so that was our only negative. We had breakfast the next morning in the restaurant and that was terrific as well. Fresh North Carolina blueberry preserves on orange scented waffles were the bomb (also swiped some of hubby's potatoes, which were great, and I don't usually like potatoes). Very friendly staff and valet. Can't wait to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ellicott City, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel, but there were too many missing or odd elements. First and foremost is its proximity to the train tracks. I can't believe more people don't write about this in their reviews - because of that missing information it took us by surprise. I kinda knew we were in trouble when I found the list of amenities offered by guest services and it included earplugs. At any rate, the midnight train to Georgia came rambling through with its loud whistle, only to be followed about 15 minutes later by another, and another train interrupted our sleep a couple of hours later. Ugh. Notice that previously I said I "found" the information - there was no book in our room explaining the layout of the hotel, how to check out, or where to find ice. After opening all the drawers in the room I finally found the list of amenities available from guest services and a room service menu, but that was it. In fact, I just read today in another posting about the coffee in the morning and beverage in the afternoon - WHAT? Never saw it and never was told about it.

We stayed in the manor house across the street from the main hotel. It's a little inconvenient trying to cross the street every time you want to go over to the main building. I believe they will bring your car over if you request it, but we just walked over to retrieve it when needed. The room itself was clean and the shower was awesome, but as some have said, the decor takes some getting used to. The lobby of the manor house has purple velvet tufted furniture. 'Nuf said. The combination TV/computer in the room was unique and very cool.

Though we did not eat in the restaurant, we did have room service one morning and it was delicious. A hefty gratuity (22%) and delivery fee are included, but those charges are pretty common these days. The one oddity was that the coffee literally came in one cup - not a carafe to keep it warm, which is what I usually see provided by room service. The locationof the hotel, if you are visiting Biltmore, is perfect, and getting around town on foot is no problem.

As I said, I really wanted to love this property, but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. Perhaps it was the difference between staying in the manor house vs. the main hotel. The staff and management were exceptionally friendly, from front desk to valets. I just wish I'd been more informed about where to find things, what was offered, and what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask about proximity to the railroad tracks!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There needs to be a bit of Truth in Advertising with how this hotel is marketed. Ad says: "Nestled in the hills of the Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville". The truth version: Nestled between several quite busy roads, a fire station, a busy train track, with no view of mountains or the like. The ad says: "Just steps from the Biltmore Estate". The truth version: the hotel is just steps from the ENTRANCE to the Biltmore. The estate itself is miles from the gate and I doubt they even let visitors walk from the gate to the house (and believe me - you wouldn't want to make that walk!). We had a nice suite which was well appointed. It fronted a noisy road and we heard train whistles, sirens, motorcycles, and that sort of thing off and on all night. The bed was quite comfortable and other amenities were very nice. We liked the hotel and I'm always willing to pay more to get more. In this case - I felt like we paid more but the value wasn't there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and NOT fronting one of the two busier roads in the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My two daughters, ages 18 and 25, and I took a road trip from lisle, Illinois (a Chicago western suburb) and drove to Asheville, North Carolina. We stayed at The Grand Bohemian and I must say, it was absolutely excellent and we loved the location and everything about the hotel. We spent a day visiting the Biltmore and that too was excellent. The Grand Bohemian was so unique and we loved it. Close to downtown in our car but yet right smack dab in the middle of the the historic district so we could walk to shops and stroll around the neighborhood without getting into our car. The parking garage was really cool and all of the guys were very helpful in giving us restaurant suggestions. The style of the hotel is very different so if you are looking for an old Victorian or frilly romantic place you may not like the style. It can be romantic but not in a frilly way. The bar was really cool and the bartender was very friendly. We loved our stay at the Grand Bohemian and if you are looking for something unique and different, do not hesitate to stay at this hotel. I love coffee in the morning and great coffee is available in the morning and a beverage in the afternoon in the lobby. (Very nice) a fresh made cookie or some other treat was also available at certain times of the day. Starbucks is right across the street and it is a really nice one as well.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are a fan of the Kimpton hotels (Hotel Monaco and Hotel Palomar are two of their brands), you will love the Grand Bohemian. Although part of the Marriott chain, is definitely in the same ballpark for service, decor and mid-level luxury. It is like an Austrian hunting lodge designed by Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland). Whimsical artwork, deep jewel tones, luxurious upholstery and warm, rich woods surround you as you enter the lobby. In winter I can imagine the large open fireplace is a real treat. The registration area is two large desks (staffed by friendly, competent staff). The valet parking staff - especially David - were some of the friendliest, most helpful valets ever.

The property is pet-friendly with a $150 non-refundable pet fee.

The room was beautiful. The TV has some interesting technological options, including free On Demand movies and a remote keyboard. Relaxing ambient music plays from the Bose audio system as you arrive to your room. The room I was assigned had a walk-in shower instead of a bathtub (which was a religious experience), but if you want the bathtub I guess you need to ask. There is a pretty veranda on the fourth floor (and a spa on the second floor, although I didn't use it).

I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the hotel's Red Stag Grill (which also does their room service menu). I highly recommend the elk and the local beers on tap. Great service.

The hotel is located across the street from the Biltmore Estate entrance gate (although visitors should allow about 10 minutes to drive from the gate to the ticketing building and another 10-20 to drive to the parking lot, park and walk to the front of the house). There are also good restaurants within walking distance (Rezaz is great but don't skip the Red Stag Grill for it).

My room was pretty pricey but it was a fun splurge for one night and very convenient for the Biltmore Estate. I had booked a 5:45 Bubbles sparkling wine tour at the Biltmore Winery and it was an easy in-and-out from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathtub room if you want one. The shower is heavenly, though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!