“Just can't rate it higher” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ellicott City, MD
“Just can't rate it higher”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I wanted to love this hotel, but there were too many missing or odd elements. First and foremost is its proximity to the train tracks. I can't believe more people don't write about this in their reviews - because of that missing information it took us by surprise. I kinda knew we were in trouble when I found the list of amenities offered by guest services and it included earplugs. At any rate, the midnight train to Georgia came rambling through with its loud whistle, only to be followed about 15 minutes later by another, and another train interrupted our sleep a couple of hours later. Ugh. Notice that previously I said I "found" the information - there was no book in our room explaining the layout of the hotel, how to check out, or where to find ice. After opening all the drawers in the room I finally found the list of amenities available from guest services and a room service menu, but that was it. In fact, I just read today in another posting about the coffee in the morning and beverage in the afternoon - WHAT? Never saw it and never was told about it.

We stayed in the manor house across the street from the main hotel. It's a little inconvenient trying to cross the street every time you want to go over to the main building. I believe they will bring your car over if you request it, but we just walked over to retrieve it when needed. The room itself was clean and the shower was awesome, but as some have said, the decor takes some getting used to. The lobby of the manor house has purple velvet tufted furniture. 'Nuf said. The combination TV/computer in the room was unique and very cool.

Though we did not eat in the restaurant, we did have room service one morning and it was delicious. A hefty gratuity (22%) and delivery fee are included, but those charges are pretty common these days. The one oddity was that the coffee literally came in one cup - not a carafe to keep it warm, which is what I usually see provided by room service. The locationof the hotel, if you are visiting Biltmore, is perfect, and getting around town on foot is no problem.

As I said, I really wanted to love this property, but I'm not sure I'd stay there again. Perhaps it was the difference between staying in the manor house vs. the main hotel. The staff and management were exceptionally friendly, from front desk to valets. I just wish I'd been more informed about where to find things, what was offered, and what to expect.

Room Tip: Ask about proximity to the railroad tracks!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

There needs to be a bit of Truth in Advertising with how this hotel is marketed. Ad says: "Nestled in the hills of the Blue Ridge mountains near Asheville". The truth version: Nestled between several quite busy roads, a fire station, a busy train track, with no view of mountains or the like. The ad says: "Just steps from the Biltmore Estate". The truth version: the hotel is just steps from the ENTRANCE to the Biltmore. The estate itself is miles from the gate and I doubt they even let visitors walk from the gate to the house (and believe me - you wouldn't want to make that walk!). We had a nice suite which was well appointed. It fronted a noisy road and we heard train whistles, sirens, motorcycles, and that sort of thing off and on all night. The bed was quite comfortable and other amenities were very nice. We liked the hotel and I'm always willing to pay more to get more. In this case - I felt like we paid more but the value wasn't there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor and NOT fronting one of the two busier roads in the area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lisle, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

My two daughters, ages 18 and 25, and I took a road trip from lisle, Illinois (a Chicago western suburb) and drove to Asheville, North Carolina. We stayed at The Grand Bohemian and I must say, it was absolutely excellent and we loved the location and everything about the hotel. We spent a day visiting the Biltmore and that too was excellent. The Grand Bohemian was so unique and we loved it. Close to downtown in our car but yet right smack dab in the middle of the the historic district so we could walk to shops and stroll around the neighborhood without getting into our car. The parking garage was really cool and all of the guys were very helpful in giving us restaurant suggestions. The style of the hotel is very different so if you are looking for an old Victorian or frilly romantic place you may not like the style. It can be romantic but not in a frilly way. The bar was really cool and the bartender was very friendly. We loved our stay at the Grand Bohemian and if you are looking for something unique and different, do not hesitate to stay at this hotel. I love coffee in the morning and great coffee is available in the morning and a beverage in the afternoon in the lobby. (Very nice) a fresh made cookie or some other treat was also available at certain times of the day. Starbucks is right across the street and it is a really nice one as well.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

If you are a fan of the Kimpton hotels (Hotel Monaco and Hotel Palomar are two of their brands), you will love the Grand Bohemian. Although part of the Marriott chain, is definitely in the same ballpark for service, decor and mid-level luxury. It is like an Austrian hunting lodge designed by Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland). Whimsical artwork, deep jewel tones, luxurious upholstery and warm, rich woods surround you as you enter the lobby. In winter I can imagine the large open fireplace is a real treat. The registration area is two large desks (staffed by friendly, competent staff). The valet parking staff - especially David - were some of the friendliest, most helpful valets ever.

The property is pet-friendly with a $150 non-refundable pet fee.

The room was beautiful. The TV has some interesting technological options, including free On Demand movies and a remote keyboard. Relaxing ambient music plays from the Bose audio system as you arrive to your room. The room I was assigned had a walk-in shower instead of a bathtub (which was a religious experience), but if you want the bathtub I guess you need to ask. There is a pretty veranda on the fourth floor (and a spa on the second floor, although I didn't use it).

I enjoyed a delicious dinner at the hotel's Red Stag Grill (which also does their room service menu). I highly recommend the elk and the local beers on tap. Great service.

The hotel is located across the street from the Biltmore Estate entrance gate (although visitors should allow about 10 minutes to drive from the gate to the ticketing building and another 10-20 to drive to the parking lot, park and walk to the front of the house). There are also good restaurants within walking distance (Rezaz is great but don't skip the Red Stag Grill for it).

My room was pretty pricey but it was a fun splurge for one night and very convenient for the Biltmore Estate. I had booked a 5:45 Bubbles sparkling wine tour at the Biltmore Winery and it was an easy in-and-out from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a bathtub room if you want one. The shower is heavenly, though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

While the room was very nice and clean with all the modern devices, this hotel lacked a few things. Maybe it was the curtains that separate the bathroom from the room (no doors?). Also, the toilet had a glass door. The bathroom was great and spacious but sometimes people just want a little privacy. The staff was great and friendly. The lobby was very cool. But they dont have a gift shop and I didnt see any vending machines for lets say a Coke. That is fine if there are mini bars but sometimes people just want a beverage or snack. We didnt get a chance to eat at the restaurant but friends said it was good. The bar was very nice. One last comment, the hotel is about 30 yards from a pretty active train track with early AM usage. The horns werent very relaxing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Charlotte, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I must say, I stayed at this hotel because of a travelzoo offer, and it was Valentines Day weekend. I got the room for almost half off, and I was a bit worried, but let me just tell you, that this has to be one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed in!! The room was just gorgeous, and a romantic dream come true. The hotel was spotless, and just perfect. High end touches everywhere from granite in the bathrooms to the spa tub that has a view of the bedroom. Not only was the hotel just outstanding, but the hotel desk and engineer was impressive to say the least. I was interested in the colors that they chose for the walls of the room, and they helped me out by giving me the paint numbers, and told me where they purchased them too. The restaurant was just superb, and I love the lighted menus. It really made a memorable weekend, and worth every penny. The hotel is located right in the middle of the town and within walking distance of all the shops.

Room Tip: I would look for specials at this hotel, because otherwise it can be a bit pricey.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Balsam, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

We visited for our 1st wedding anniversary. We had an amazing time! We had a couples massage at the spa and dinner at the restaurant. The spa is small but the staff is very friendly and the massage was great. Dinner was delicious and very reasonably priced. We were served complimentary champagne and everyone we encountered wished us a happy anniversary. The entire property is gorgeous, very Biltmore. We did have trouble getting people to answer the phone at the front desk and the spa. Also be aware that they automatically charge gratuity for room service.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!