“Over the top decor with a view of McDonalds makes it an odd combo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection

You added Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection to your Saves list
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Portland, Oregon
“Over the top decor with a view of McDonalds makes it an odd combo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This hotel is definitely touted as a luxury hotel but it is on the edge of Biltmore Village and is bracketed not by quaint shops, but by a Hardees and a McDonalds so there really is no great view out your window. It is hard to find the entrance which is through a odd feeling courtyard (luckily our room did not face this dark echo chamber.) Some designers went over the top with the hunting lodge decor and no surface was left unadorned. Not sure how many animals died for this, but not for PETA members for sure. Luckily the rooms were more restrained and had nicely done (but dark) bathrooms. The bed was confortable and the service attentive. Walk to Biltmore Village restaurants is nice but a bit expensive given the views and Disneyesque decor. Nice but would probably look at other options.

Room Tip: pick your view ahead and if you want bathtub
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 8, 2011
Thank you for the review of your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. While you enjoyed the convenient location and attentive service we do apologize the overall decor of the hotel failed to meet your expectations. We would certainly love the opportunity to serve you again.

Guest Experiences Specialist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

This hotel is excellent and the stay was very enjoyable overall. I would have to remove a star for three items that could have been a bit better - the food at the restaurant, the size of the rooms in the manor house and the bedding. All of these items could be overlooked if the price of the room were somewhat lower.

The restaurant served middle-of-the-road, decent food. For the price, however, it was unacceptable. While eating there is your choice, it would be nice to have a better food option in the hotel.

The rooms in the manor house (across the street from the main hotel) were small. Again, for the price, I would have expected a larger room. Although there is a huge tub in the bathroom (which takes away about 3-4 feet of room space) I would rather have had the extra room space. Couldn't comment on the main hotel room sizes.

Finally, the bedding is a cotton-polyester blend that feels a bit strange. For such a high end hotel, I would have expected much more luxurious sheets. Pillows were OK, but again, just not as good as one would expect from this caliber of hotel.

On the positive side, the staff is wonderful - without even one exception. Everyone seems to take a genuine interest in the guests at the hotel. Front desk staff, valets and restaurant staff were all very welcoming.

Internet access is free, which we were not expecting.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
We appreciate the review of your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We are excited your stay was "enjoyable overall" and the "staff was wonderful". It is our goal to provide our guests with a memorable experience so please know your comments regarding opportunities for improvement such as food offerings and bedding have been noted and shared for future improvement. We would love the opportunity to serve you again!

Lancaster County, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

The Grand Bohemian is a one of a kind hotel even though it is part of the Kessler group and the Marriott hotel chain’s Autograph Collection. We were there in the off-season and took advantage of a “breakfast-included” rate.

Overall, this is a nice enough hotel with a friendly staff and a good restaurant. The staff were very polite and helpful; the rooms were immaculate. I’m just not sure it’s worth the rates charged.

There are a few things you should be aware of before you arrive there:

1. It’s in a great location for a visit to the Biltmore estate. As others have mentioned, it's right outside the entrance. You'll still need a car because there is quite a long drive (perhaps over 2 miles) to reach the main gate of the estate. The only negative about the hotel location is that there is a train track nearby. This didn't present any noise problem for us, but I can see that it might for others. Ask for a room as far away from the tracks as possible.

2. At busy times many guests are assigned rooms across the street from the main hotel in the Manor House. When we were there, we were happily in the main building. I had asked beforehand which building we’d be in.

3. It seems that everything is for sale in the room - bath salts, music CD, bottled water. None of this is cheap. For example, I believe that the bath salts were $15 or $20. Of course, you don’t have to buy any of this, and we definitely DIDN’T.

4. The décor is “hunting lodge.” It is carried out throughout the hotel. Just not my taste for a hotel atmosphere, but many that we talked to liked it.

5. There is a $15 valet parking charge per day.

We did enjoy our two-day stay here, but I doubt that we’d return again, mainly because of the high rates and added charges, and also because there are other less expensive choices available in the same general area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Thanks you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We are pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel as well as the service and room cleanliness. I will share your comments regarding the cost of extra amenities with the appropriate individuals. We would love the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Beaufort, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here on a two day spa trip. The hotel is very dark and feels like you are in a medieval castle. The rooms are less dark, but our room faced the railroad tracks and we were awakened each night by two passing trains blowing their horns. in the morning, construction on the track woke us up because of the noise. If you are going to stay here, request an interior room on the parking courtyard. you will not have a view, but it may be quieter.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We make every effort to assure our guest’s visit is a memorable and comfortable one. We apologize we fell short in providing this for your spa trip. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

My girlfriends and I planned a long awaited girlfriends trip to Asheville, and I always want to stay somewhere really special, so the Grand Bohemian seemed to be the perfect choice. Although I was pleased with the beautiful decor of the hotel, all my pre-trip special requests fell on deaf ears. I was contacted several times by the online concierge (which I thought was a very nice touch) and was asked if there was anything that could be done to make our stay more enjoyable, and I gave her several requests; i.e. extra towels (since there were 3 of us), extra pillows, a nice room (even nice hotels have better room choices, and since we were staying mid-week, I thought this could be accommodated). I was told by the online concierge that our requests would be fulfilled. When we arrived at the hotel, it was as if there had never been a special request made. I found out that the room we were given was actually one of the least desirable in the hotel. We had to ask for an in-room table (most other rooms had them or a balcony--which we didn't have either). It's not that it was an unpleasant stay, it's just that in light of all the preplanning that went into it (I had really tried to think of everything to make it special) I have to say I ended up being a little disappointed. Also, I had flowers delivered to our room, which one of my girlfriends was just a bit allergic to so we set the flowers outside our room late at night and they were taken. That wasn't a complete surprise, but what WAS a surprise was that we asked for them to be returned if found. They were returned but when we asked out of curiosity where they had been, no one would give us a straight answer. Hey, just say, "so-and-so took them because she thought you were throwing them out" don't lie about it and pretend you don't know what happened....not cool. Also, the valet parking was $15.00 per day, plus tips every time you wanted to use your car to go somewhere....it really added up.

Room Tip: I tried my best and couldn't.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 10, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. While the décor and hotel atmosphere helped make your stay a memorable one, we do apologize we failed to meet your requests and expectations for this special visit. It is our goal to always offer excellence in service. Please know that your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments. We would love the opportunity to serve you again should your travels lead to back to Asheville.

Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the weekend of April 29 to celebrate our 20th anniversary. From the moment we walked into the hotel the staff made us feel at home. We had a great meal at The Red Stag. The hotel also was able to secure our tickets to the Biltmore Estate so they did all the work for us. We will stay here on future visits to Asheville.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay at The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville. We are thrilled we were able to “treat you like royalty” and help make your anniversary a special and memorable event. We look forward to welcoming you back when you are again in the Asheville area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

The rooms are decorated nicely and most of the staff was friendly (some were snobby), but I was shocked by how stingy they were. They would charge you $5 if you opened the bottled water in your room, $20 for bath bubbles, and $25 for bath salts, which at other resorts I have stayed at were complimentary. We paid $170 a night for their most basic room, just bed and bath room, no seating area. The large tub was nice though. Pros: they did give us complimentary champagne for our honeymoon, Cons: when I went to the spa to get a massage they masseuse did not give me two or the services I asked for, also we were staying at the manor house across the street from the main building, twice after I had waited to cross the street and got to the door, my key wouldn't work and had to wait quite some time for a bell boy to let me in, also we were told there was no fee for valet parking, when in fact they charge you $15 a night, then add tips for everytime they have to get your car. I wouldn't stay here a second time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
lindsaygartrell, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
We appreciate the time you spent reviewing your recent visit to The Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville and apologize that your visit did not fulfill all of your expectations. We strive for excellence in all areas of our guest’s visit and I will share your concerns with the appropriate departments of the hotel. We would love the opportunity to serve you again.

Guest Experiences Specialist

Been to Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!