“Discovery” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kathmandu Cafe

Kathmandu Cafe
90 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801-3034 (Downtown Asheville)
828-252-1080
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #169 of 653 Restaurants in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Asheville
Cullen, VA
“Discovery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The barista at Hyphen recommended Kathmandu, for which we are most grateful...we would likely have gone to a less exotic place, and we had theretofore never had Nepalese or Tibetan food. The place is romantic, one feels as if one is in a tent, and the ambience is romantic indeed. We had the appetizer sampler, with the best pakora we ever had, bara, and aloo tikki, a North Indian snack made from potato, Himalayan pink salt, pepper, tumeric and lemon juice. Just when we though it couldn't get any better, the sizzling local trout, marinated overnight with ginger, garlic, etc. came, with carrots and squash, and the aroma was intoxicating. Spicy, but not hot...
We also had (local) bison momo, Tibetan dumplings which were over the top - and although my wife IS, I'm not usually a dumpling lover.
And then the drinks - we had the ginger lemonade (ginger, lemon, clove, nutmeg, fennel, soda) - absolutely the best non-alcoholic drink I've had anywhere. And the second drink - jaljeera - that was so out there I don't even know how to begin to describe it - salty, lime, tamarind, who knows what - but absolutely amazing.
A truly exotic, truly enjoyable meal.

Visited June 2014

“Wonderful Aroma, Food & Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Wonderful lunch & I'll be returning. As I entered I was greeted with a wonderful aroma & a colorful decor. Decided on the buffet as the menu had too many delicious descriptions to choose from. I also tried the crushed rose, pomegranate drink - interesting, sweet, but pricey. The food was very good & service was great.

• Visited June 2014
Beaufort, South Carolina, United States
“Early dinner at the bar was awesome'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Had a great meal on an early Thursday night. My husband had a bison dish and I had black lentils and rice. There is a fancier Indian restaurant in downtown Asheville, but the food is no better than than that at the Kathmandu, where the cost is much less! Great garlic naan and red wine complimented our main courses. This establishment is a must if you want great Indian food in Asheville, NC!

• Visited May 2014
Greensboro, North Carolina
“In town for one night - wanted something unique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Only my second time here - and it was again wonderful! The wait staff is helpful and knowledgeable about the food. We had the Kukhura Chau Chau and the Tikka Sag - Both great! This is one of my favorite spots in Asheville! Look forward to going back again in the summer and trying another dish!

• Visited April 2014
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
“Great lunch Buffet for a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

How do you do it? Great Value and great food. The servers are very smily too, just like the rest of ASHEVILLE

Visited February 2014