“Relaxation!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 102 Activities in Asheville
Durham, North Carolina, United States
“Relaxation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

This spa has private outdoor hot-tubs that you rent by the hour! It was so relaxing and perfect for a cool day to stay warm in the hot tub. It can be very romantic if it were after dark and I think you can bring your own wine. If your looking for something different, give this a try!

Visited November 2012
Shoji_Spa_and_Lodge, General Manager at Shoji Retreats, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Thank you! The views at night from the hot tubs are beautiful - sky, stars, the lights of downtown Asheville - and very romantic! And, yes, you can bring wine or your own beverages. Just be sure to let us know if you have a glass container so we can properly wrap it for you to prevent breakage.

Charleston, SC
4 attraction reviews
“perfect relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

used to stay at the Grove Park...but it was $$ and the spa crowded...now my husband and I stay at Shoji-quiet, relaxing and wonderful massages and outdoor hot tubs

Wilmington, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
“Mountain Spa Expirience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

This was an incredible spa expirience. The route to get there was steep, narrow and winding, but the reward at the end of the road was well worth it.

The lobby area is welcoming and the spa services are varied and several couples packages are available. We chose the "Double the Fun" package for $265. This includes an hour in a private spa cabin that has a open wall that overlooks the woods, with options to go to the sauna and cold tub. The walk between the private cabin and the sauna is a bit far and up hill, but the private spa cabin is the greatest thing. It's a big hot tub and plenty hot. The day we were there it was cool and brisk, the sun was starting to set, and the leaves were at the end of the their colors. It was really nice to be there.

The second part of the package was a 50-minute massage in the main building. I requested a male and my wife requested a female masseuse. Both of these folks knew what they were doing, and we have a lot of experience is getting massages.

Overall, this was an spa expirience that we would definitely do again when we are in the Asheville area.

Visited October 2012
Asheville, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“relaxing!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Visited Shoji with 3 friends and I was ready for relaxation time in a beautiful environment. Overall we loved our experience with just a few minor complaints. We arrived about 30 minutes early, but we were allowed to begin our soaking time 15 minutes late. I was in no hurry, so I was fine with that. However we were paged to exit the tub at 1hr 45 minutes instead of getting our full 2 hour soak. That was a little upsetting considering the high price you pay for your hot tub time. For about the same price, you can soak at the Grove Park all day long. The thing that inspired me to go to shoji instead is that your hot tub is private and not shared with strangers. We did not realize that that was not also the case for the cold plunge tub and sauna. Those are something you share with other guests at shoji. We had not idea and where caught a little off guard by this. The other bonus for shoji is that you can bring our own food and wine- which can cut down on the cost. One friend had an amazing massage at shoji, while another said that her massage was weird in the fact that almost all of it was done above the sheet and was not a smooth progression from one body part to another. Massages are difficult to rate in that everyone is different. Overall...I would suggest this place still for couples as it is a very romantic place and it is a GREAT place for a girls getaway. I think however for the money, they should really make sure you get the proper time in for your tub for sure.

Visited November 2012
Shoji_Spa_and_Lodge, General Manager at Shoji Retreats, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to Shoji Spa & Lodge. At Shoji we strive to provide our guests with great service in a relaxing and unpretentious atmosphere. We work hard at providing the highest level of customer service and value the feedback we receive from our guests.

Unfortunately, we cannot respond to your individual concerns without your personal client information. If you would like to discuss your visit in further detail, please contact us directly so we may access your account.

Again, we appreciate your input and your honesty; this is one way we improve our services.
6 attraction reviews
“I am not sure they exist anymore”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I am visiting Asheville for the weekend and I have been trying to call Shoji at random times over several days and no one ever answers.

You can leave a message (which I did not do), but seems unprofessional to never answer the phone.

1 star is just because I could never use their services, I never actually was able to visit the facility.

Visited October 2012
Shoji_Spa_and_Lodge, Manager at Shoji Retreats, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We truly regret you were unable to reach us. During our business hours, we make every effort to answer all incoming calls by the 3rd ring; however, there are times when we may fail to reach this goal as we are busy assisting other guests. For those times, we do offer an answering machine and our staff is trained to check and respond to those messages within a specific time frame (during business hours, the messages are checked & calls returned within a 15 to 30 minute window; messages received after business hours, are returned the next day.) We hope you will contact us again when you are in the area so you may enjoy the Shoji experience!