“Gorgeous views from the mountain looking down on the valley below; good wifi; well-managed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Campfire Lodgings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Campfire Lodgings
You added Campfire Lodgings to your Saves list
116 Appalachian Village Road, Asheville, NC 28804   |
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed in site D-9 and found that it had lots of space and an excellent view of the valley below the mountain. We paid $45 per night for a two week stay. At first I was concerned that I couldn't do much walking or bicycle riding in this park, but fortunately both are not too terribly far away. There is a great walking path at Beaver Lake about a 6 minute drive away; park in the lot on Merrimon Avenue at the bird sanctuary. Bike trails are a bit further away at Bent Creek. We never saw the problems mentioned by other reviewers regarding rude staff and stink bugs. We would love to stay here again if we return to the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

Make sure to look at the pictures of the campground below to illustrate this review and the stunning views! We held our family reunion here for 4 days in late May 2014 and were pleased overall. Every campground has their pros and cons for sure, but Campfire Lodgings has more pros for the retired crowd or couples traveling without kids. My husband and 3 young kids had site P5 (premium site with excellent views), my sister and her husband had D9 (not premium but still had great views), my other sister, her husband and 3 young kids had a primitive tent site (no water, electric or mountain views) and my parents had Yurt 3 (completely wooded without mountain views).

Site P5 was one of the best for the views overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains, but lacked in space on the patio, parking and yard area. The decorative fence is clearly marked as "decoration only" and to stay off, but I feared for the safety of not just our kids and dogs, but for the adults as well. We have a 32' travel trailer that fit well on the concrete pad, but we had to readjust our Chevy Suburban so it could be parked out of the way of traffic on the main road and to allow seating area around the patio and campfire. Site P5 is on the main 'road' through the campground and other campers have to drive right next to it to access their own sites further down. Since the road is traveled on often or used as a dog walk, it was a little bit loud throughout the day and in the early morning from vehicles and walkers. This site is fabulous for less than 2-3 people with a smaller camper due to the layout of the site and lack of space for parking. Our neighbors in P4 parked their large pickup truck right along the back side of our RV, so if we opened our shades, our view was of the hood of his truck; less than pretty for sure. I would recommend the owners spruce up the fence to something taller (maybe waist level instead of knee level) and more sturdy that protects people from plunging over the edge of the cliff. I know the fence is supposed to look rustic, natural and be for decoration only, but that is the only thing in place to prevent someone from literally careening off the side of the mountain, and it is less than 3 feet from the picnic table on the patio area. Scary! Also, the patio concrete is NOT safe to navigate. there are several places along the patio that have severe drops to the dirt along the boarder of it (6-10 inches deep). The owners need to fill in those ankle breaking holes with gravel to prevent injuries. This site also gets full afternoon sun and was pretty hot even under the awning. The sunsets were lovely, but warm for sure. We definitely enjoyed this site for the views, but as far as safety was concerned, it severely lacked in our opinion.

Site D9 had a lot more room for people to navigate around the site and had way more parking and yard room for the kids and dogs. There was still the risk of falling down the mountain at the back of the site, but it was not as bad as the P sites. The D sites are cooler in the afternoon and evening since they are more wooded, so bring a sweater. The tent site was in a very grassy and wooded area. It was pretty and peaceful, but lacked in availability of water or electricity (as to be expected with primitive sites). The bath house is close by up the steep hill, so it was a non-issue for my sister and her family, but it did pose a slight inconvenience for her to have to haul water everyday up and down the hill. Yurt 3 was the only yurt with a bathroom. It was very clean and well maintained. It too is in a wooded area and very peaceful. It had running water and electricity and was very nice in and out. The bath house was older, but very clean and well maintained. There were no bugs or mold that I could see inside this building. I felt safe using it and allowing my kids to use it as well. There is a laundry facility attached to the bath house that was also very clean and well maintained. I didn't do laundry myself, but I saw that it was standard coin operated at an affordable price (bring quarters and your own soap!)

Aside from the 5+ miles of nature trails, a horseshoes playing area, the communal overlook next to site P5 and P6, and a large grassy area behind the office, there were no other amenities like a pool or a playground. What lacked for me was a playground area for the kids. They brought their bikes, but were restricted (by me for safety reasons) to the gravel road circling the office area due to the steep hills elsewhere in the campground. There are several speed bumps made of gravel throughout the campground, which is good to keep people from speeding, but dangerous for bikes, so make sure your kids wear helmets, elbow and knee pads. I don't expect to have planned activities for the kids or anything like that, but a playground or swing set would have been nice.

Other reviewers have stated that the office staff is hateful and rude. We never encountered this problem once during our stay. Jason is the grounds keeper and went out of his way multiple times to make sure we were well taken care of. At check in, Cindy was very pleasant and cordial, answering all my questions appropriately. I never met any of the other people mentioned in previous reviews, so I can't attest to their behaviors. We traveled with 2 large breed dogs (German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois), and kept them leashed except when letting them back inside the camper. Some of the other campers were less than accepting of our big dogs, so if you are traveling with big dogs, keep them out of the little dogs' site is my best advice. Also, if you want cable TV (we did not), you have to rent a remote from the office. They take your credit card imprint so if you forget to turn it back in they can charge $50+. We started out wanting it, then changed our minds on day one and returned the remote.

Due to other reviews, we were nervous about having kids with us. We did feel nervous about noise levels during the evening (quiet hour is 10pm-8am) since we had a large group of people meeting every afternoon and evening at one site or another. The typical clientele are retired people that probably don't like noise to begin with. I appreciate that though since this campground is very tranquil and relaxing. Our kids and my nephews did well I suppose and stayed quiet in the evenings for the most part.

Some reviews suggested a problem with bugs. We saw only about 5 or so stink bugs and they were not a problem. There are other bugs that are obviously going to be at any campground since it is very wooded in areas. We did have one wood roach hitch a ride back home with us on a camping chair. We did pull several ticks off the dogs and the kids since they were in the brush along the trails. The mosquitoes were not an issue for us either. My advice is to use bug spray and know that you are camping, so there will be bugs no matter what! We did have an issue with sap dripping on our car and camper. We had a thick layer of sap that collected all over everything since we had to park directly under a spruce pine tree. It will take a lot of scrubbing to get it off, but that is only to be expected when camping in a wooded area.

Overall we had a great time. It was just a bit nerve wracking with young kids. We will book another trip without the kids next time for a romantic get away. Maybe in the fall for the colorful trees?

Pros: Amazing views all along the premium sites and some D sites. Beautiful sunsets. Quiet and peaceful wooded setting. Near Asheville and grocery stores/Walmart. Pleasant staff that was very helpful. Clean and well maintained buildings, bathrooms and laundry facility.

Cons: Small premium sites with very little parking area for large trucks or vehicles. Dangerous drop off that butts up against the patios on premium sites with virtually no protection from falls. Dangerous patio area due to uneven concrete. No playground or any 'kid focused' activities or areas.

Room Tip: Great for retirees or campers without kids. P-sites are great for mountain views but are mainly for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

My wife and 5 year old daughter stayed in Yurt #1 for three nights over memorial day. This campground is small, yet gorgeous! The view is breathtaking!! Our Yurt was extremely clean,functional and comfortable. Our 5 year old was super comfy on the blow up mattress as my wife an i had the queen bed. The Yurt had a/c, a fridge, and a microwave. Our Yurt did NOT have a bathroom, but it wasn't a problem at all. The restrooms and shower house was a short walk. The restrooms and showers were VERY clean, and convenient.
The staff was excellent. Andee was great! People who have bad reviews on here with regard to her must be really uptight, and shouldn't go camping anyway. We LOVED the staff! People gathered each night at the common view area for sunsets that were simply stunning. The best part of the view is that it looked different every single day. Sunset was different each night!
Location was great. An easy 10 minute drive to downtown Asheville. We also went to Pisgah National Forest which took only 40 minutes and was worth it! Sliding Rock is an experience not to be missed. We LOVED this place and will definitely be back with our pop-up camper next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Well maintained RV / camping sites with breathtaking views of a valley with the Appalachian mountains in the distance. Friendly, accommodating staff. A wonderful experience. Although you're only a few miles off I-26, you would think you're in the middle of nowhere.

Stayed April 2014
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

We booked a premium site and had my parents joining us for an RV site. We had a problem and booked the wrong date. To shorten it the women called the day we booked and was extremely aggressive and rude.She was raising her voice and became nasty. I was actually thinking someone was prank calling me because she was so rude. I ended up hanging up on her and she called me back. She said I needed to get this straight because we were screwing her? I was honestly so shocked I didn't know what to do or say. It got so bad I hung up on her. She called back and said she was not no way in hell giving us a refund but would give us a crappy overflow spot but we would not get a refund for the extra we paid for. After talking it over with the other parties we decided to hell with this place and this women we ended up paying for a place we didn't go to. I hate to be so negative but if you read around this women is mentioned many many times and she is serious problem. I wish I had listen to those reviews but I have never encountered anyone this bad on my travels and we are in the airline business. So we paid for a site we never even seen and I really urge anyone who is thinking of going to stay far away unless it comes under new ownership..

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
yurts, Manager at Campfire Lodgings, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
I am sorry for YOUR experience but it was NOT even close to the exchange we had on the phone. This was a booking/date mistake on your part and I tried to accommodate you as best I could. Your description is not even exaggerated it's completely untrue. Hanging up on customers, using foul language, and improper grammar are not behaviors that I exhibit.
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We were searching for a close campground for a quick, 1st of the season check on the operation of our travel trailer. We found this place online and decided to go for it and boy are we ever glad we did!
The staff are incredibly helpful -- trust me on this-- we couldn't figure out why some of our electrical wasn't working but they willingly helped us figure it out. The next day, a cold/windy/rainy morning, I managed to lock myself out of the camper IN MY P.J.'s and they helped me get back in (despite being almost mauled by my dog) just as cheerfully as you please.
Add to that the incredible views (yeah, even for a local), the pristine grounds, the little hiking trails, the peace and quiet and you've got an absolute winner in my opinion.
The only thing I would warn folks about is that this campground is on top of a ridge, and the road winding up it is steep and narrow. Of course, if you call ahead, they will be happy to hold any campers from coming down on your way up. Besides, it's completely worth it.
FYI: they have something for every camper -- full hook ups, tent sites and even a few yurts - one of which I may reserve for my next anniversary.
Go. You'll be glad you did.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hobe Sound, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Campfire Lodgings and by no means our last. The facility is small, but that is certainly not a negative, but a positive thing. Our daughter was able to ride her bike safely throughout the campground and still be very close to our site. The views...wow magnificent and even if you don't get one of the P-sites they have graciously allotted a section for everyone to enjoy the views from a few adirondack chairs. The people...very nice owners extremely accommodating and Can't forget Jason, whatever you need he takes care of you. Its very close to downtown asheville (10 minutes) but still in a wooded setting.
If you are looking for all the bells and whistles this is probably not going to be your favorite place, but if you want to stay at a very well run, clean, comfortable, spectacular place then do yourself a favor, stay here you will not be sorry.
See you there....

Room Tip: The premium site are spectacular...but all the rest are great too. Not really a bad site in the whol...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Campfire Lodgings? Share your experiences!