“Save room for dessert!” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
SC
“Save room for dessert!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

The side items, variety of BBQ sauces and desserts, along with the atmosphere, make this my favorite BBQ place in Asheville. We tried the pecan pie, vanilla ice cream, and the special dessert of the day was bacon maple ice cream (sounds weird, but it was great!). I also liked the live music, which was a nice touch. The waiter brought us a spicier version of the BBQ sauce, and it was the best. Surprised they are not ranked higher; just so many great restaurants in Asheville, I guess.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Fairview, North Carolina
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Had been told Luella's was almost as good as 12 Bones > NO WAY! Food tepid, they charged me for butter on my hushpuppies, the seats were lumpy and 2 sandwich plates still cost $19.00 with WATER! Not recommended. Stay with 12 Bones, Countryside BBQ in Marion, NC or Bridges BBQ in Shelby, NC. Luella's was a big disappointment.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Avon, Indiana, United States
“Another really good Carolina barbecue place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We wanted some good Carolina barbecue for dinner our first night in Asheville, so we tried Luella's. It is a small place and was jammed, so we had to wait about 15 minutes. The food was worth it-- I tried a 2 meat meal with beef brisket and andouille sausage that was very, very good. I also tried the pineapploe casserole as a side-- and didn't like that so much. It was a really good meal though for a very reasonable price.

Visited January 2014
waynesboro
“Awesome BBQ, best beans around, and the hush puppies ... oh, the hush puppies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Happened to drive by here when we were house hunting last summer. It was a hot day, we were worn out and wanted to get something to bring back to the hotel and relax. Good choice to stop here!

Their pulled pork is awesome, with different choices of sauce. I am not a fan of baked beans, but got a side for my husband and I to try. I think there were 3 different types of beans, and they have made me a convert. I have been trying them in other places ever since, but none have compared to Luella's.

It is casual dining, order at the counter, wait for your food, but that is fine. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating to Northerners with lots of questions! They made us feel like we are their oldest and best customers.

And the hush puppies, oh the sweet, crispy outside, tender inside hush puppies. Need I say more?

Plus, they let you take your dog if you eat out on the patio, a big plus for anyone traveling with a pet.

Now that we have finally moved here, we recommended Luella's to our new neighbors, who are also from away. They liked it so much they went 2 days in a row!!

Luella's is a definite "must eat here".

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Burke, United States
“Excellent BBQ!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Having eaten a lot of BBQ, this is one of the best. Staff was outstanding, very accommodating and made several recommendations, all of which were right on. Pulled pork and sausage were excellent. Great variety of sauces. The vinegar based cole slaw was also very good. Hadn't had hush puppies in awhile, but they were also very good.

• Visited January 2014