“Bugs in bed, manager was a jerk” 1 of 5 stars

GuestHouse International Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   234 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803   |
Ranked #42 of 59 hotels in Asheville
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bugs in bed, manager was a jerk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We were supposed to stay for 2 nights, but when we found a bug in our BED and bathroom, we switched to another room the first night. After sleeping there and coming back the next day, we found another large bug crawling up the wall, so we were switched to yet another room, and not surprisingly, found another bug in the bed. Left a day early, and hotel did not refund money. Night manager, Chris, was completely unprofessional. Tried to make an excuse that "they are located in a rainforest, so obviously they can't get rid of all the bugs". He was a complete jerk and actually screamed at us while we remained calm abou the situation. Needless to say, we would never recommend this hotel to anybody.

208 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

Upon arriving we checked the room for bugs, (as we work in the hotel industry) and immediately found some in one of the beds and in the bathroom. We immediately requested another room, and was given one. We did not find any bugs upon immediate checking in the next room until the next day. We then requested another room because of the bugs that were crawling up the wall. My wife called down to the front desk, and in reply to her complaint he stated "We are in the rain forest, we are going to have bugs." I thought that it was disgusting that he would try to make it seem OK that there were bugs in our room, and that it was no big deal. He never apologized to us, and even walked over to the bug and said that "it's just a beetle". He said he would give us another room or he would kill the bug for us, and that was all he could do. We asked for another room, and obviously checked for bugs. The first bed we checked in had another bug and we called the night manager back down, and he huffed on the phone and came back to our room. I told him that I was checking out and that I wanted either my money back or I wanted him to find me another hotel room at another hotel. When I got to the front desk two minnutes later, he was in the office eating, and not at the front desk waiting for me, (which is where I thought he would be since he knew that I was angry over what was happening and how he had been treating me.) When I got tehre he said that he spoke with the GM and that they would not give me my money back and would not get me another hotel room anywhere else as I had booked through an internet site. He once again never apologized, and just looked at me. He was very inconsiderate and does not understand the concept of customer service. I said I was checking out. At that time there was another customer behind me so I felt the need to let him know of the situation that I was going through with having been in three rooms with bugs, and the rudeness of the night manager and not really caring. As I began to talk to him, which I have a right to do, the manager began to scream at me and telling me to get out. I was so taken back that I informed him that he should not talk to me like that. He continued to yell until I finally left out of irritation. I hope they have a video tape of the front desk because he was very unprofessional and should not be working in a customer service job. I would never go back to this hotel, and would never recommend for someone to go there either. They have an infestation that they need to control there, as well as a night manager that was extremely rude.

Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

Our advice: Do not stay in this hotel. While the room was adequate, the front-desk staff, particularly the manager, was surly and unhelpful. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the lowest, we rate the management of this hotel a minus 3.

The "complimentary" breakfast was not that good. Eggs, when available, were watery. Biscuits were stale. Orange juice tasted funny. While we don't expect a great culinary experience at cheap hotels, we expect the food to be edible.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Panama City, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Front desk - somewhere between all-business and downright surly. Was given directions to the room and no more.

Beds - comfortable, but no match for a Hampton Inn or Wingate mattress.

Bathroom - nice showerhead, newer tub enclosure, sink outside with ample counter space, decent towels.

Room - noisy at all hours due to traffic on 25. Freakin' cold or freakin' hot, no middle ground with the HVAC. Mini fridge & coffee maker. The weatherstrip was missing below half the door - a small rodent would have had sufficient room to crawl under. In January, I'd have expected a small snowdrift in the room.

Breakfast - pastries, cereal, good biscuits, nasty eggs.

Whatever you do, don't smoke or bring a pet into the room. Three initials and one signature at check-in should make it clear that they are serious and will charge you $250 for doing so.

Bottom line: I was desperate for a cheap room as close to downtown as possible and got what I paid for ($59 on Hotwire). I wouldn't stay here again because there have to be better options, even if I had to pay $30 more.

Canton, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

We had never stayed in a Guesthouse Int. This was our first experience, and we would stay here again. No more than 5 minutes from the Biltmore Estate, and about 10 minutes into downtown Asheville. We were happy our room was on the back side of the Inn, as it is located right on the road, and I-40 was right close by. The breakfast was good, we don't need a lot -and there was enough to pick from.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

I thought this hotel was a great value for the price and location, and we would highly recommend staying there. The continental breakfast was a nice added touch and had many hot items as well. Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I've stayed here three different times--twice with a friend and once with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter. The crib they provided made a small room even smaller, but it was perfectly adequate. Once, we had an issue with the toilet not flushing properly and they were great about immediately switching our room. For the money, it's a good value. Do get a room around back because of the traffic noise. Be advised: the rooms are very small, but have very comfy beds, and they had most of the amenities I needed (internet, mini-fridge, cable TV). I would have liked a microwave. Decent breakfast--waffles, oatmeal, cereal, fruit, scrambled eggs, etc. This is a very convenient location for visiting Biltmore or the Blue Ridge Parkway. I just recommended this hotel to my brother and his wife who will be visiting Asheville this weekend.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to GuestHouse International Inn? Share your experiences!