“A costly disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Asheville
Charlotte, NC
“A costly disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

To celebrate my wife's 40th birthday, I splurged and booked a King Suite ($350) for a night. The room's decor was dated, TV's were outdated, and the carpets were worn. I had hoped my wife would relax in the jacuzzi tub to get a break from the kids for a while, but the cold water to the bathtub didn't work! But the real problem was that the front desk clerk was indifferent at best when I reported the bathtub issue. I mentioned it again at checkout and never heard a word from a manager. I filled out their "feedback" form and never received a response. Never again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Cincinnati, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

We didn't plan on spending the night in Asheville, but it happened because we stumbled on this hotel and just NEEDED to stay there. It's located in an area that's incredibly easy to walk in. We had the smallest room, and that was very spacious. The bed was Godly comfortable. Wireless signal in room very strong. Whirlpool bathtub, best thing after 5 hours driving.
There are two ghost tours that leave from the hotel, if you're into that sort of thing.
The only drawbacks were that the Bier Garten next door likes to party until midnight on the weekdays, and our room had a broken hinge on the closet door. (Ticky-tacky comment I know, but it's not a Days Inn and I expect certain things to be just so in accordance to price.)
We will stay there again, without a doubt.
Best fitness center I've ever seen.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Southwest Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Went for girls night out with co-workers on a Friday night. We had adjoining rooms on the 4th floor. The rooms are very spacious (atleast the rooms we had were room #404 and #405). The location cannot be beat!! We had turn down service in our room with a chocolate truffle from The Chocolate Fetish and it was awesome. We also were wanting some bottled water at 11pm, so we called front desk and they brought bottled water to our room cold for only $1.50. No so bad for hotels...Will stay and visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Wilmington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

I stayed here with my husband in December of 2008. We were visiting family in the area. The rooms were FILTHY and we all ended up sick. The worst part was that we were so sick we could barely leave the room. The carpet and chairs were stained and the place had an odor (it needed to be deeply cleaned, a vacuum would not do the job). The staff, with the exception of housekeeping, was not professional. It seemed like the blind leading the blind at the front desk. It was more like a group of unkempt friends hanging out and joking. There was no standard of customer service. After the trip I thought "Ok it was a gross hotel. I wont stay there again" and thought that would be the end of it. The reason I finally decide to write this is because I took my car to be inspected this week. The technician told me that someone had been doing some extreme "wheel peeling" with it to the point that the I need new tires. The car is less than a year old. I am the only one who drives this car and I have a newborn so I know it was nothing I did. I, did however valet my car all week at the Haywood Park hotel. Just a warning.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

My wife and I visited Asheville for our first wedding anniversary. We wanted a nice place to stay to celebrate this special occasion. We were skeptical that it was an older hotel, but called the chamber of commerce and asked their opinion on the hotel and they assured us it was a nice place and great location. After entering the musty lobby, we were given our room key. The place is outdated...and not in a charming way. Like from the 70's/80's. They tried to update the rooms...but it is still old and cheap looking. Everything is in a muted brown tone. Just not worth what you are paying. The only plus is the location, you can walk to great restaurants and shopping. But really you could just park downtown for that. I will not be back to stay here. Will save up for the Grove Park Inn and be able to actually enjoy my room.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Knoxville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

We have been to Asheville many times and have stayed and B&B's and Renessaince mostly. We ended up booking at Haywood because it was a spur of the moment trip and most other places were booked. We were pleasantly surprised to have lucked out with this hotel. They give top notch service. We were allowed to check in at 10am, instead of 2pm like reguarly quoted. The room was HUGE and unbelievable. It was a huge suite with 2 queen beds, an enoromous bathroom and a huge sitting area with comfy chair and couch. Everything was so well-decorated and updated and emmaculant. The location couldnt have been better- we were in the heart of everything and were able to walk to anything we wanted. The bar downstairs was great and the FLying Frog desserts are fabulous. I recommend going across the streed to Sky Bar (by World Coffee) to watch the sunset- it is gorgeous and you can see the whole skyline. SUnset is around 7:15pm so dont miss it. We will definitely come back to Haywood again. The cost with tax and all was $297 which compares to Rennessaince but the Haywood location and rooms were much nicer

• Liked — location and how large the rooms were
  • Disliked — the price was high
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Raleigh, nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2008

Beautiful hotel in the heart of downtown. The room was elegant. Loved the TV and phone in the bathroom. The bathroom had a whirlpool tub which was either old or not very clean. We just used the shower. Staff was pleasant ,friendly and helpful. I would definately stay there again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Smell of entrance and lobby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Haywood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!