“Dishonesty and Possible Discrimination” 1 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Battery Park Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801   |
Ranked #6 of 58 Hotels in Asheville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durham, North Carolina
“Dishonesty and Possible Discrimination”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

As a follow up to my previous stay at the Haywood Park Hotel. (see Post by Wolfbred July 6, 2010) my family decided to visit Asheville again and recalling our initial dismal experience, I reflected on the very apologetic manager at that time who asked that I call her directly in the future as she would personally make my arrangements and she hoped I would give the hotel another chance . She went on to tempt me with offering a nights’ stay in the future at no charge.
Remembering these previous conversations , I called the manager after ten o’clock in the morning using the cell phone number she gave me and introduced myself in order to refresh her memory, and mentioned the previous experiences I had .I told her I was calling about making arrangements for two rooms. The manager told me that she was on her way to a meeting and would call me back around noon to see what they had available. (I had already gone on line to review the vacancies which were several ).
I asked her to call my office as I would be at work all day and left my number with her.
At one thirty and having received no call form the hotel manager. I called the manager’s number, got her answer phone, and left a message to call me regarding arrangements.
At three thirty I called the main desk at the Haywood Park and was in the process of obtaining two rooms when I mention to the very helpful attendant that I had previously called the manager in order to make arrangements earlier but she never called back. He politely asked that I hold on that she was there and he would speak to her. He returned to the phone and said, she will call you back in a few minutes”.
I never heard from her.
I got home around five o’clock in the afternoon and there was a call on my answer phone rather than my office phone as I had requested.
A lady in a foreign accent after giving her name, informed me that she was a “co-owner” of the Haywood Park Hotel and that they did not want my business, and abruptly hung up.
That was the end of the message and in my mind solidified my feeling s concerning this hotel.
I found it interesting that the Haywood Park had vacancies when all of the other “upper scale” hotels did not as this is peak season time for the fall foliage.
I also find it interesting that the Haywood Park is now allowing guests to bring their animals.
I find it interesting that the hotel management / owners can disallow a potential customer for no apparent reason other than lodging a very valid complaint about being moved to three separate rooms in one night, getting to bed at just before 4:00 am or later, just before rising early for a lengthy trip home the next day.
I find it interesting that the original promises and apologies by the management of the Haywood Park Hotel are meaningless and empty words made only to pacify the customer at the time.
I could never in good faith ever recommend this Hotel to anyone.
I look forward to the Haywood Park Hotel response to this review as I have maintained copious records and now recorded phone messages regarding this entire incident.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Charlotte
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I recently stayed at the Haywood Park hotel with my dog and wow, I will NEVER make that mistake again. My dog is a bit of an escape artist, but the Haywood is NOT SET UP for dogs. Any hotel that claims to be "dog friendly" should have a dead bolt in addition to the typical key card. Some dogs are able to open doors by jumping up on the door handle and this is exactly what happened. At least my dog would be stuck on that floor, right? WRONG. The Haywood had two fire escape/hallway exits on the floor and neither of them were closed all the way. My dog was able to nudge open the doors and enter the stairwell. From here, she went down the stairs and through a door that was labeled "ALARM will Sound if Opened". This was clearly not the case as she escaped through this door and out into the alley into the streets of Asheville. Thankfully this story has a happy ending as two guys were able to grab her as they saw her escape from the hotel and return to the front desk. The hotel did nothing, not even an apology. And I would never stay at the hotel if I didn't have a dog with me. It is EXTREMELY dated and felt like I walked into the 70's when I entered the room. In addition, the water pressure was horrible, the towels felt like sandpaper and the TV was the size of my iPad. To top it all off, the rate was ATROCIOUS. Don't waste your time or money here! I did some research and Hotel Indigo is also pet friendly, just a block away, much newer, nicer and friendlier.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
omfraga, Owner at Haywood Park Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are sorry your dog is, as you mention, an escape artist, and got out of the hotel. She sounds fun and it is very evident that you love her. It must have been horrible to think she was lost. We do wish you would have given us the head’s up about your dog’s talents… perhaps we could have come up with a solution together. However, I don’t think deadbolts would have been the solution…we do have dead bolts on our doors however, dead bolts lock from the inside, not the outside.

I must emphasize that we truly LOVE dogs at the Haywood Park Hotel. Upon check-in we give our canine guests personalized dog treats from the famous Three Dog Bakery! The owners and management of the hotel have dogs. In fact, the owner’s dog is featured on our website and I have a 16 year-old mixed breed dog that means the world to me.

We did some research and during the time of your stay; the other hotel properties in downtown were either booked solid or more expensive than we were during the dates of your stay. Our towels are 100% cotton and, although not giant, our TV’s are a respectable 26 inches.
We feel we distinguish ourselves from the other properties in downtown Asheville because

• The Haywood Park Hotel is a Historic Hotels of America® property
• There is no better location in Asheville
• The area’s finest restaurants, galleries, and boutiques are just steps away
• We are continually upgrading our property
• We boast 33 luxuriously appointed, generously sized suites; with lavish robes for our guests to use
• Guests enjoy complimentary Champagne or bottled water at check-in accompanied by player piano
• We offer complimentary valet parking
• Free Wi-Fi, Gilchrist & Soames toiletries, daily newspapers and nightly-turned down service featuring chocolate truffles
• The hotel has a state-of-the-art fitness center
• We are a smoke-free facility
• We have earned these accolades: AAA 3-diamond, Travelocity 4-star, Expedia 4-star, Tripadvisor 4-star

Even though it was not favorable, we thank you for your posting. We always learn each time we receive feedback from a guest.
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Stayed here and at the Inn at Biltmore and highly recommend both! Haywood Park is perfect if you plan to spend a day/evening downtown. The room at Haywood was 2X the size of the Inn, not as posh, but clean and comfortable, with good ventilation (important since windows don't open); very nice bathroom/shower; easy access to a garage. Restaurants we liked within 10-min walk from the Haywood: Curate, LAB (best people watching, great live music room in the back), Laughing Seed (breakfast). One word of caution: they screwed up our on-line res - I had a confirmation in an email from them, but somehow our res got deleted from the system. The hotel was sold out and Steven at the front desk spent an hour+ looking for a room for us at another hotel (which we very much appreciated), but we lost a couple of hours and ended up staying at a dumpy place for one night... Haywood management should consider changing their technology provider.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Husband, doggie and I went to Asheville for parents weekend at Warren Wilson College (the hotel is 10 miles from campus). I am from Western NC, so know the area very well, and am in love with Asheville. We chose this property because our usual stop (Grove Park Inn) was booked and we had the pooch. Cut to the chase ~ I'll never stay at any other hotel when we go to Asheville again....even Grove Park. This is our new fav place.

If I had to complain about anything, I would have liked a newer mattress / boxspring, but I'm being picky. We slept great, the room was spacious and clean and we had a soaking tub....yes, please!

Our pooch was treated daily to an organic doggie cookie with her name on it from the Three Dogs Bakery next door and we were given goodie bags on our way out. It was just the perfect amount of customer attention.

The history of the building is also super interesting and there are so many great places to eat right outside the door. The occasional buskers on the side walk in the area are part of the Asheville charm and the dog friendly atmosphere was so welcoming.

Go to this hotel. Don't hesitate. You'll love it.

Room Tip: All doggie travelers are placed on the second floor. Don't worry. It was clean, quiet and no wei...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
virginia beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We arrived early on Sunday morning and the staff provided an entry card for garage access so we could park and have brunch while our room was being prepared. Had a wonderful brunch at Carmel’s down the street and went back to eat there several times. Our room was ready early so was able to take our luggage to the room and unpack … easy transfer from the parking garage to the hotel/room. “Spacious” is an understatement when describing the room … it was HUGE! The crown molding around the ceiling was impressive and the toiletries, drapes, furniture and bed were outstanding … great mattress and pillows, making for a wonderful sleeping experience. The room also had a nice size refrigerator and coffee maker. The public areas of the hotel were quite nice – the building was formerly a department store and had retained some of the aspects of the original store. We toured several areas in the Asheville area and the Haywood was definitely within walking distance to the best action in town. Not that you needed to go outside the hotel for great food. The Solace Restaurant had an entry right off the lobby and the food and service were outstanding. The Early Girl Eatery was right across from the hotel entry and served a fantastic breakfast, whether you’re looking for a vegetarian omelet or a hearty mountain breakfast (albeit a noisy venue). There were only two nits on the hotel room: 1) All of the hardware and appointments were very high quality except for the plastic towel rods, toilet paper holder and shower hold bar, all of which were coming loose from the wall; 2) Folgers coffee in the room … this was pathetic … not having a robust mountain coffee in the room was unacceptable. There was no coffee in the lobby so if you wanted a cup of real coffee, you had to get dressed and walk across the street. For a hotel with this level of “class,” they need to get a REAL coffee for guests to enjoy first thing in the morning in their room. Would definitely stay again but would check to see if we needed to bring our own hearty coffee!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2011

This hotel is much better than some of the recent reviews. We booked a double room to share with my husband and our friend who traveled with us to a wedding in the mountains. We stayed there on both a Wednesday and a Sunday night after flying into Asheville and on our way back out. They greeted us with champagne on Wednesday. They have a complimentary valet service and bellman to help with luggage. The valet/bellman and the front desk concierges are very helpful with information about local restaurants and bars. They also have apples at the front desk for a snack too. Our double room was HUGE! You could have bowled in there. The bathroom is really large with two shower heads at different levels (pretty cool) and a jet tub. Plus there is a separate vanity area with a large closet as well. The beds were comfortable and the decor was really upscale with a couch, chair, coffee table, and also a desk and chair. The hotel is right on Battery Park directly downtown within a short walking distance to everything. We had no issues with outside noise or other rooms. It was a very quiet hotel. There is an attached restaurant and the hotel is also attached to a mall of sorts that connects to shops and restaurants. We highly recommend this hotel. It may be on the pricier side although not much, but you can find good deals through travel websites. We booked ours through MHNsaves.com, which had the best rates.

Room Tip: Look online for the size, shape, and pricing of the rooms ... the double is really large!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

Conveniently located in the middle of the Asheville downtown scene. Walk to restaurants, to the drum circle and shopping.
Large and well appointed room with space enough for an easy chair and a 3 seater sofa.. Very comfortable king bed. Large bathroom with a jet tub but no separate shower stall.
The staff was very helpful and welcoming, including a free bottle of water and glass of champagne on arrival. Parking is free which is a huge benefit in a city center.
Chocolates on the pillows each night. Newspapers available free. Free internet was great.
Downside: our room was located on the allay where the trash dumpsters are stored and the waste removal folks come early and are very loud. High window but that was ok as the 'view' was of the allay and dumpsters. Also, no safe in the room which is a huge problem in these days of laptops and ipads.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side of the hotel away from the garbage dumplter allay
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Haywood Park Hotel? Share your experiences!