“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepali
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

Based on the reviews here, I thought Sherpa Cafe was going to be better than the other Nepalese/Indian restairants in Colorado, but that wasn't the case at all. The owner seemed great, and the service was terrific, but the food wasn't even mediocre. We ordered papadum, samosas, chicken vindaloo, and lamb chilli. The papadum was fine, but it came with just one sauce--an orangey-red one. The samosas were terrible. They were soggy rather than crisp and the filling didn't seem like it was seasoned at all. They were also served with an orangey-red sauce that tasted a lot like the first sauce. We asked for chutney and/or pickle as well, but they only seemed to have the one sauce. My husband's lamb was okay--the best dish of the meal--but it wasn't great. My vindaloo, while fairly tasty, wasn't vindaloo. There was barely any heat in it and it was also served in a watery orangey-red sauce without much flavor. While I understand that Nepalese versions of dishes are going to differ from the Indian versions, my experience--at Sherpa Cafe in Gunnison, at Nepal in Grand Junction, at Guru's in Montrose, and at Sherpa House in Golden--has been that the Nepalese versions lack the spice level, richness and depth of flavor of the Indian versions. So why do I keep eating at Nepalese places if I preper Indian food? Because that's all there is in Western Colorado where I live and because positive reviews here and elsewhere convince me that it's worth a try.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“A gourmet feast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

What a treat with personal service. We savored every item ordered and ate on even though full. I am searching for a recipe for saag after loving it here. The curry was delicate and beautifully spiced. We are returning today for another experience before leaving the area. Sample this restaurant and treat yourself!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“Sweet little respite and great Nepali food in Gunnison”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The owner of this restaurant also has one in Crested Butte. Hard not to like the curry, korma and vindaloo. The samosas are also a favorite. Service is friendly and prices are moderate. Great naan freshly made. Try it out. One of the better eating options in Gunnison.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“An Amazing Culinary Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

I would recommend Sherpa to anyone who wants to tantalize their taste buds! I'm from a good size city and have experienced wonderful Indian food many times, but have never had what Sherpa calls Himalayan cuisine--it's amazing. The owner is from Napal and has created dishes that made our evening a true culinary delight. The Saag melts in your mouth and the Sherpa Rolls are to die for. I can't leave out the wonderful, various curries and the veggie momo (a Tibetan dish) which was a fantastic new experience. We left with huge smiles on our faces! (Did I mention that one of our group is a true foodie and was so impressed with the meal she spent a significant amount of time discussing dishes with the owner, Pemba?)

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Graham, Texas
“Good Food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Enjoyed the food. I had a veggie curry. Good portions and service. Love the naan. I would definitely eat here again.

• Visited March 2014