“Great food, distinctive look” 5 of 5 stars

305-245-3377
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #24 of 141 Restaurants in Homestead
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Lakewood, WA
“Great food, distinctive look”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The reviewers who complain about the appearance of this place can best go to Appleby's if they want something modern and gaudy. We really enjoyed the look of the Mutineer as campy, kitschy layers of ways people decorated restaurants over the years. I mean, if you don't like a lifesized wood-carved pirate figure or alligator character by the pond, then go to McDonald's: the only things you will see there are made from safely recycled paper products. Assuming you do have a sense of humor and open yourself to the look of the Mutineer, the food is damn good and the servers were prompt and pleasant. My wife had a fine French onion soup appetizer and I devoured lobster bisque in a breadbowl. She ordered a half rack of ribs and thought they were full of meat and tasty; I had Grouper stuffed with a crabcake filling. I wanted to cry that I was too stuffed to finish all of it. Darn fine meal, in a place that's one-of-a-kind, especially in these bland days. One tip that escaped some reviewers who didn't apparently circle the building: there's a restaurant and there's a bar. If you want a restaurant experience and not a bar experience, you probably want to go into the restaurant and you probably don't want to go into the bar.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Happy customer returns for 10 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

A great night at the Mutineer and Wharf lounge with delicious food and friendly service. There was a pirate rock n roll band and Capt Blood was there with his wenches. It was entertaining..my kids enjoyed it. I noticed some changes in the bar and restaurant since last year. There were two big screen TVs in the Wharf and the lobby was newly painted. The decor was unique. There was an outside pond/waterfall with a walkover bridge. My kids enjoyed feeding the fish and turtles. We ate stuffed jalapenos, sauteed alligator, lobster with shrimp...very tasty. The prices were reasonable for seafood. We took a break outside on the patio and my kids roasted marshmallows for FREE over 2 big firepits. The restaurant has character and charm with lots of stuff for kids to see and do. We have stopped here for 10 years and always enjoy our pirate night. My family has a good time...its more than just a "chain" restaurant. I would suggest this place to anyone who wants to experience something different.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Howard, Colorado
“Make the appetizers a meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We started our meal with a very large gorgonzola salad. Then we had three appetizers as our meal - coconut scrimp, alligator, and conch fritters. We had just come through Alligator Alley in the Everglades - love those alligators!!!! I think the conch fritters are going to become a habit. Eric very attentive about serving our table - but did not hover.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
State College, Pennsylvania, United States
“only place open on Christmas....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were traveling to Key Largo and stopped in Florida City for the night. The Mutineer was open and seemed to be busy. We went in and since it was nice outside we said we would like to sit outside when asked. The outside was dirty looking benches, picnic tables, crying kids and smokers. So we opted to sit inside instead. The decor was not a big step up inside. There were visible layers of dust on the old curtains that hung right over your table. I would call it dark, dated and dirty. When my husband ordered the baked potato the waitress said they were out and he ordered something else. Then the people behind us ordered and their waiter never said a word about being out and they got their potatoes. My husband asked for french fries but got rice in the shape of a pyramid with cranberries stuck in it....??? His steak looked less than appetizing and was not that great either in his opinion. I ordered salad and at least the lettuce was green, not iceberg and I ordered chicken on top which was decent. However, once our food came the waitress completely ignored us. He wanted to ask for his fries but she never came back. I had to laugh when I read the review about having to ask for bread....because we never saw any bread served either nor could have asked for it because we never saw anyone until we had to flag her down for the bill.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Food was OK, Service was Bad”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Food was okay, it did not wow me. Service on the other hand was HORRIBLE. We were the first customers and did not get bread. We saw other tables with it and had to ask for it. Waitress forgot the cocktail sauce and the 4th meal . . .

Visited December 2012