“Surprised that this is a new hotel...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Homestead
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Orlando
“Surprised that this is a new hotel...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I'm not quite sure where to start except to say that I am very surprised that this is a brand new hotel. If the housekeeping is letting things go now (two months old), I can't imagine it in a few years from now.

First the good: The hotel is new, the decor is very nice, and the rooms come with great smelling paul mitchell bath products. The rooms are large and decorated nicely. The lobby is fresh and bright. I wanted to LOVE this hotel.

On to the bad, although the hotel is nice on the outside, upon pulling up, you will notice that the sign is missing the TY in Courtyard which makes it appear older. I first checked in to my room and, as always, check the beds. I travel a lot so I always look to make sure they are clean and not harboring any "visitors". The sheets appeared wrinkled and then I noticed a small hair in the bed. Because the bed looked slept in, I was worried that the room may not have been cleaned very well so I asked to move to another room. Alas, when I got into this room, there was a white power type substance all over the wall separating the toilet from the sink, the bathtub appeared to have dirt or substances on the floor, and again the sheets were wrinkled. I did notice that there were a ton of extra towels and pillows in the room so it appeared to have been cleaned. Instead of bothering the front desk again, I begrudgingly wiped down the wall and checked the bed to make sure it didn't appear to have been slept in (after a 4.5 hour drive, I was just hungry and ready to relax at this point). I then headed to the inhouse "restaurant" for dinner. They only offer snacky/appetizer type choices and a burger so I went out to grab carry out from the Longhorn. When I left, I mentioned the apparent lack of housekeeping but the front desk didn't seem at all to care. Upon check out the next day the front desk again didn't ask about my room/stay, etc. When I offered up the apparent lack of housekeeping they just said they would make a note of it to share with housekeeping. Another thing to note is that they do not provide complimentary breakfast either.

Many things I can overlook but proper housekeeping, especially ensuring that the sheets look clean and un-slept in, is of upmost importance. Honestly, if you are coming to the area, I would suggest staying right next door at the hampton inn. My coworker stayed there and she had a great experience, a clean room with wrinkle free sheets, and a complimentary breakfast. Again I warn, if they don't get these housekeeping and maintenance issues put in check fast, this hotel will be seriously run down in no time. Super sad for a brand new hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardHomestead, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Homestead, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
The Courtyard Miami Homestead thanks you immensely for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a comfortable and relaxing stay . Again we apologize for the inconveniences that you faced; but we will use comments like yours to get better as a hotel. Thank you for your feedback and if you plan to travel to the area again in the future, please consider staying with us, as we would love another chance to provide a great stay. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here stop over before hitting the keys, hotel is brand new, nicely decorated and clean for the most part.
Issues we ran into-
Booked a king suite - received 2 queen beds - yes the offered to switch, but a 10:30pm after traveling we just stayed put. I still don't understand with a brand new hotel with all the tech, how a staff member can mess this up.

Found a drywall screw in my bed - gave it to them at the front desk the next day.

Tried showering around 7am - no hot water. They did not seem shocked by this.

They have a large Starbuck's sign with a Starbuck's coffee menu, the guy didn't know how or what an espresso shot was.

We we glad that it was a stop over, but if they get the staff trained and the maintenance issues fixed -
I was contacted by a "manager" who awarded me points back on my Rewards Club, but no offer of a refund, I guess this would be Marriott's way of trying to get you back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual service values and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. Our maintenance team was made aware of the issues you faced and we are working hard, so that others are not dissapointed as you were. If you are back in the Homestead area please give us another chance to demonstrate to you that your satisfaction is important to us.
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We booked this hotel for its proximity to Biscayne National Park and the Everglades National Park; and it was a good choice on that basis. It was easy to find off the highway and was very clean. The hotel felt practically empty as it was new and those who were there seemed to be solo business travellers.

We asked for a king bed with a sofabed for my son - and even though there were notations on the account, the sofabed was not made up when we arrived and we had to get someone to come. I hate that. I really wish people would read what was on the reservation *before* people arrive. But the front desk was very friendly and sorted it out immediately.

That being said the room was immaculately clean and nicely decorated. There is no bathtub, but a walk-in shower which was fine. We didn't use the guest laundry but they did have one, and the free WiFi was fine. We did eat breakfast at the hotel, which was probably a mistake - my French toast tasted more like it came out of a frozen package rather than being cooked fresh. But it was quiet and nice enough.

We would probably stay again because of the location, but just not have breakfast there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property, I am very appreciative of your kind words. I would also like to thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We work hard every day to not only meet, but exceed our guests’ expectations. So ALL feedback that can help us better ourselves is welcome!

On behalf of the entire Courtyard Miami Homestead staff, thank you for staying with us!
Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

its a new, fine and clean hotel... nothing to complain about. there is no breakfast included, but there is a starbucks in the lobby. there are close by two malls with the regular dining options (mac donalds, red lobster, longhorn steakhouse).

an ideal starting point to the everglades or the keys a bit north of miami, located right next to the freeway 821.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
CourtyardHomestead, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Homestead, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Roger,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our brand new Courtyard in Homestead. I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the location and closeness to both shopping and attractions were convenient for you. Hope to see you again soon!

Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Our baseball team(s) from Toronto, Ontario which consisted of about 120 players from the ages of 15-18 stayed here for a tournament along with the Coaches and 3 Coach Bus Drivers . I must say everything went well with checking-in without a glitch. The rooms were ready to go before our arrival. The hotel is very new and has been opened since June 26, 2012. The hotel is absolutely beautiful!!! The lobby is an open concept with many areas to sit down. One area is like a living room with nice seating and a flat screen TV. there's 2 MAC computers and free WiFi for use. There is a bar/restaurant, and a coffee shop that serves Starbucks coffee but has free hotel brand coffee and tea available 24 hours. The grounds of the hotel is well manicured along with outdoor seating and a nice pool . The workout room is nice and there is a laundry room with only 2 machines. The machines could be upgraded but on the plus side it's accessible 24 hours. The rooms are clean and the beds are extremely comfortable, if I could have packed up the bed and take it home I would have! One draw back is one side of the hotel has a humming noise from the heating /cooling systems that needs to addressed. The humming noise at bedtime is tough to handle. I love the walk-in shower but not where the faucet is placed because your arm is the way of the water when you are adjusting the temperature. The rooms do have a mini fridges but Do Not Have Microwaves which is a wee bit of a pain. They have one microwave in the snack room but it was an inconvenience to go downstairs from the 5th floor. The snack room is unique which stocks beer, wine, candies, salads, soups, chips etc and all for really good prices.
The amenities are just walking distance. There is a Grocery Store, McDonalds, Nail Salon, Dry Cleaners, Pharmacy and various others fast food stores for your needs. A 2 minute drive and there are many other restaurants to satiate your palate.
As an avid shopper there was NO great shopping unless you went Downtown Miami or go for about an hour drive to get to a decent mall. Danielle and the staff were amazing!!! They were efficient and very friendly. Breakfast in the Conference Room was arranged prior to booking for the teams at different time intervals and the food was plenty and tasty. I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. Our stay was relaxing and uneventful and kudos to the maids for cleaning the rooms everyday after all the games. Your staff are awesome individuals and I hope to see you all again soon.
Thanks
Janice

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We are extremely happy for this great review, and we thank you for taking the time to let the world know how pleasant your stay was. We hope you visit us again very soon, next time you are in Miami/ Homestead.

Best Regards,

Jessica Keene
Beaufort, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This property has been open about two weeks but they really had their act together when we stayed there this past Friday. I checked in shortly after 3 and our room was ready. The front desk staff was very welcoming and efficient. The lobby was nicely laid out with a great interactive touch screen where you could check out the weather, news, etc. On the way to my room, several room doors were open and you could see maintenance still putting rooms together.

Our room was very nicely appointed and super clean. It did have a mini-fridge but no microwave. Loved the walk-in shower. Was not pleased that the faucet was placed in such a way that you'll get your arm soaked just turning on the shower. Wasn't please that there was no way to reach a towel off of the towel rack or off of the hook from within the shower. But those are design flaws beyond the local hotels control.

With a king bed and a sleeper sofa, the room can sleep 4, however, it would be a tight fit to have the sleeper open and try to maneuver around the room. But it's perfect for 2 with a sofa to sit on to watch the flat screen or just veg.

They also did a good job of soundproofing. I didn't hear anyone elses plumbing and while we could hear hallway noise at 2:30 in the morning, we did not hear the group of girls next door through the wall. When we left our room, we could hear them very clearly through their door.

This property is right next to the Hampton. The pricing was slightly better at the Courtyard for a last minute trip and I'm glad we made the choice. I'll stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
CourtyardHomestead, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Miami Homestead, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Glassgal,

I wanted to thank you for being one of our very first reviews in Trip Advisor. Your kind words about our opening, rooms and service were truly appreciated. On a side note, our microwaves have arrived and we will make sure next time you visit us in Homestead your room will include one. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Miami Homestead? Share your experiences!