“Transients motel -- possible bed bugs” 1 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Homestead
Caribe Motel
Save Saved
You added Caribe Motel to your Saves list
841 N Krome Ave, Homestead, FL 33030   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Homestead
Pittsburgh, PA
“Transients motel -- possible bed bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

We just needed a quick convenient overnight in Homestead on our way to Flamingo in the Everglades. We checked the chains first and all were booked so we just started looking for "vacancy" signs along the main drag. This was the first we came to and the cost seemed reasonable. I was a little wary since it was clearly the sort of place used by transient workers (lots of construction vehicles in the lot) and long-term down-and-outers (weekly rates were clearly posted). But the room, though fairly shabby, looked clean and the location was reasonably quiet so we took it.

We got a good night's sleep and I would have given it a 4 star but I discovered in the morning that I had several masses of red itchy bites on my skin. We had gotten a few mosquito bites while hiking the day before, but these new bites were in places that mosquitos would not have been able to reach (groin, armpit, lower ankle -- I had been wearing hiking boots), and there certainly would not have been clusters of mulitple bites within a 3 or 4 inch area if it had been skeeters. I made a perfunctory search around the bedding but found nothing obvious and we were trying to move on anyway. By the end of the day the bite regions were covered with close packed itchy hard red welts in the sort of pattern that is distinctive of bed bugs, over a dozen behind my upper arm, 6 on my ankle, 8 on the back of my upper thigh, etc.

So I can't in good conscience recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

1 person has reviewed this hotel

Been to Caribe Motel? Share your experiences!