“Jimmy is NZ's Master Chef creating masterpieces in a wonderful estate” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Otahuna Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Otahuna Lodge to your Saves list
Otahuna Lodge
224 Rhodes Road, Tai Tapu 7672, New Zealand   |
Sydney, Australia
“Jimmy is NZ's Master Chef creating masterpieces in a wonderful estate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the beautiful Otahuna Lodge in March 2013 and we loved it. The hosts and owners, Miles & Hall, are exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble, they are very friendly, great conversationalists, and their experience shows in how they understand what people are looking for when they choose to stay in their wonderful estate. We loved the amazing gardens and the food was the best we've ever had in our many stays in some of the best lodges in NZ. Jimmy is NZ's Master Chef! The fresh produce from their own extensive garden & other local providers allows Jimmy to work his magic and create the most amazing dishes, matched with NZ's best wines. We especially liked the private dining option each evening. This is a truly first class establishment and the best place to stay if you're visiting Christchurch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

From the greeting upon arrival, to the specially prepared lunch using most of their own produce, to the great suite, to the fabulous dinner and wine pairing and then breakfast. There is no question about it, this is the best place we've stayed anywhere in the world, and, we have been to almost every desirable country there is.

It is a great challenge operate a 5 star facility while still making it feel like home. The Otahuna accomplished this with great ease.

It was a great experience, thank you.

Room Tip: They're all good.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Woking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed for two nights at Otahuna after three nights in a camper van, and wow! What a treat. The rooms are sumptuous, the service is exemplary, and the food is out of this world. The staff go out of their way to make you literally feel at home, but with a professionalism that big brand mega starred hotels can often only dream of. Without doubt quite the best hotel I've ever had the pleasure of spending time in - and it just wasn't long enough!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

What an incredible lodge! Otahuna isn't like any place else I've ever stayed...the owners (Hall & Miles) provide the most amazing combination of luxury/decadence and warmth/comfort I've ever experienced, bar none.

No detail is overlooked. The rooms are beautiful...I especially enjoyed the fireplace, along with the enormous bathroom with heated floors. Each meal was as good (if not better) than what you would expect from top restaurants in major cities. The incredibly friendly staff was always on hand to make your stay more enjoyable (if that was even possible). I'll never forget the image of Ben carrying an umbrella in one hand and a tray with champagne in the other as my friends and I relaxed in the hot tub one misty evening. And a helicopter tour is a must-do while at the lodge...there's no better way to experience the New Zealand scenery, or to appreciate the beauty of Otahuna as you land on their picturesque front lawn.

I cannot recommend Otahuna enough to anyone planning a trip to New Zealand. And if you weren't intending to visit Christchurch or the South Island, change your plans....Otahuna is certainly worth planning an entire trip around. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Nevis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We just finished a month traveling New Zealand and Otahuna Lodge was one of the highlights of our stay. From the outside the lodge itself is so picturesque we just knew it was something special. Miles & Hall have lovingly restored century old building so upon entering you seem to step back in time and feel like you are the guest of honor visiting a dear friend's country estate.

I don't write reviews very often but Otahuna is so impressive I just had to add my comments which echo everything said by others. We stayed in the Rhodes Suite for two nights and couldn't have been more comfortable. The weather was damp and cool the afternoon we arrived so being able to sit in front of a crackling fire an relax while sipping tea helped us unwind from the day's travel.

The first night Chef Ben prepared a sumptuous dinner with excellent wine pairings that the "other" Ben served to us in the private and intimate setting of the Library. For our second dinner we opted to dine in the "Turret Room" and had an equally enjoyable meal.

Everything about the lodge is first rate and the staff could not do enough for us. We would go back to Otahuna in a heartbeat. Like some of the other reviewers we have traveled all over the world and have stayed at many places that are consistently rated among the best in the world. Simply put Otahuna is in that class and ranks at the top with the best of them.

If you are contemplating staying at Otahuna - think no more. Just make your reservation. Take it from me, it just doesn't get any better!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

It is now a week after my stay at Otahuna, and I am still raving to my friends and family, about what a wonderful experience I have had.
From the moment I arrived, the "team" made me feel like I had arrived home. Miles and Hall have created a truly wonderful location, that is way beyond a place of accommodation. Adrienne and Ben's attention to detail is amazing, without being the slightest bit intimidating, as I have experienced in some places I have stayed overseas.
Thanks to Executive Chef Jimmy and his team in the kitchen, my clothes felt quite tight, as I drove down the driveway, and said farewell. Your passion for your wonderful creations had my mouth watering, as you introduced each course. The wine matchings took me on a wonderful journey also.
The Otahuna Team, have the ability to deliver much more than a Host/Guest relationship, with those that come to stay. You leave feeling like you are part of a new "family".
I can't wait to create an opportunity to go and stay again. Thank you all so much!!
Tony Quayle

Room Tip: If you like morning sun in your room, ask the staff which side of the lodge they would recommend.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Queenstown, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Without doubt the biggest WOW of our lives. We have both travelled the world and stayed in some amazing places but nowhere that we’ve stayed has come close to the uniqueness and opulent splendour that we experienced during our recent stay at Otahuna. It was unbelievably magical.
We chose the location for our wedding “on line” and then visited the Lodge to make enquiries as to the viability and availability for what we wanted and from that very first visit we felt like family but treated like royalty. We were welcomed as though we were regular guests. Nothing was a problem and it was so easy to work our way through the details from beginning to end.
If we thought our first visit to the Lodge to make those arrangements was the ultimate we weren’t expecting what came next when the time finally came for us to go and stay for the duration of our wedding and honeymoon.
We were welcomed with open arms on arrival by Hall, Miles, Adrienne and Ben. From that moment onwards we didn’t have a care in the world. Absolutely everything was taken care of.
We cannot speak more highly of Adrienne and Ben, whose true professionalism and attention to detail was way beyond any expectation. The same to be said of Chef Jimmy in putting together the most exquisite creations across all of the degustation dinners we experienced during our stay. The wedding degustation dinner was absolutely divine. Jimmy is world class.
We could go on and talk all the superlatives that others have mentioned on this site and it still wouldn’t be enough to describe Otahuna.
We absolutely thoroughly recommend Otahuna Lodge as a must stay property for anybody looking for that very special place. Without doubt we will certainly return.
John & Judy Tacon

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Otahuna Lodge? Share your experiences!