“When in Rome, I meant Nome...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Nome Nugget Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nome
Nome Nugget Inn
You added Nome Nugget Inn to your Saves list
Box 430, Front St., Nome, AK 99762   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Nome
Pleasant Hill, California
“When in Rome, I meant Nome...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Nome Nugget Inn was like something out of a novel. The place is an enigma. I guess you could say this is a beachside resort, as the property is located right next to the Bering Sea. Unfortunately, when I was there, both the sea and beach were covered in ice so thick that folks were driving trucks and other vehicles on its hopefully extra thick surface.
The Inn's interior is rather dark, and the rooms are on the small side. Think "modest and cozy".TV and internet service were ok, and my room remained warm throughout my stay, which was most important, as temperature wise, Nome remained at or below zero during most of my stay. The owner-occupants for the most part were nice to me, but I did hear of encounters between certain members of the extended family and guests that were not so pleasant. The Inn is located on the main drag, and within easy walking distance of restaurants, grocery stores, shops, and Nome's extensive selection of taverns. I would like to stay there during the summer when I could actually look out the window of my room and see the beach!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

People were nice. Right in the middle of town. Room small not dirty but OK. Close to ocean and places to eat. There are nicer places but they cost a lot more. Would stay there again. Should open the bar area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Coober Pedy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

The Nugget Inn was the perfect place to stay for the Iditarod. It is located next to the finish line. When the fire siren sounded to announce the approach of a dog sled team, I could just put on my coat and go out to the Burled Arch to welcome the team in. The Inn looks like an old boarding house with long corridors and stairs. It is very clean. I loved the welcoming smell of home cooking in this family owned and operated hotel. I loved sitting in the old bar, which is now part of the family's home, and looking out over the frozen Bering Sea. As a special treat for Iditarod week they provided boxes of free bakery treats for the guests to accompany the coffee and tea in the lobby. I thought the character of the hotel was entirely in keeping with the gold rush town of Nome.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Eagle River, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We purposely sought out Nugget Inn in celebration of my 40th anniversary of deciding to move to Alaska. In October of 1972 I went to Nome, stayed the night at the Nugget and it changed my life forever. The location right on the Bering Sea, the enormous wave action, the feeling of pioneer day freedom and strength made me feel grateful for my trip to Nome.

Revisiting this hotel was important to me. I returned with my husband and daughter and was proud to show them this landmark and we planned to have dinner and a champagne toast.
There was one couple having dinner and as we entered, he man yelled "This is closed. Get out of here". We tried to explain and then asked if we could just take a picture for old times sake. The man shouted that there were no pictures to be taken in the hotel and for us to get outside for photos. I then asked the lobby receptionist if I could take a picture through the door window and she said "no" ... that the man inside was the owner.

Obviously, the owner has no social graces nor respect for his customers. His manner was rude, surly and downright frightening. He shouted at us a good 6 times. I would never recommend this hotel for Iditarod visitors or any others. Had I received this welcome 40 years ago, I would never have entertained the idea of staying in Alaska. This is not how you treat people. I realize times have changed, but there is no excuse for this type of behavior.

Room Tip: There are no triple rooms, so you must book two separate rooms.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you're looking for "5 star" accommodations, room service, a swimming pool and spa, then you shouldn't be in Nome at all.

The Nugget Inn is rough around the edges, just as a hotel in the great remote frontier SHOULD be. There is another hotel in town, but it's very sterile/bland and costs twice as much.

You'll get a a REAL metal room key in on a diamond shaped plastic tag, just like in the 70's, and you'll get a room with real baseboard heating like in the old days, not the cheapo electric heaters that are noisy and dry your throat like they have in "modern" hotels.

The location is perfect, right in the ocean, and bars and grocery stores are very close by, with a fridge and microwave in the room.

They had free coffee going around the clock, free wi-fi, and a nice room to eat, socialize, or work on your computer. The staff is super friendly and helpful with things to do in Nome.

Room Tip: Room 121 is probably best
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Rooms are small, but clean and comfortable. Rooms with small private baths, including stall shower are available. Staff friendly & helpful. We would stay here again due to location even though a newer hotel is available; because we could walk to most restaurants and the least costly supermarket, a Safeway subsidiary.

Room Tip: No elevator so first floor rooms easier for hauling luggage.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

These are just average accommodations - but take in account you are on the edge of the continent, 200 miles from Eastern Siberia, and this is Nome. The rooms are very clean, comfortable pillows, but fixtures out dated, The hotel has an incredible history and the owners are very nice and accommodating. I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 106 is just fine.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Been to Nome Nugget Inn? Share your experiences!