“This is the place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Midtown Motel
215 E 3rd St, La Junta, CO 81050   |
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in La Junta
QUEEN CREEK
“This is the place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

I have stayed at the Midtown Motel in La Junta several times over the past decade. My Mom was here in town, and the Midtown was centrally located and less expensive than the big guys outside of town. My most recent stay was from the end of December until Jan 6. My Mom was ill and I came up to spend what time I could with her while she was still alive. The manager asked me whenever he saw me how she was doing. When she passed away, he expressed his sympathy, and the next day I found some flowers and a sympathy card on the bed in the motel room. It was a really sweet gesture. There are places to stay in La Junta that might be a little more modern, but they are also quite a bit higher in price, and I don't think you will find the level of personal consideration at any of them that you find here. I would recommend this motel to anyone who wants to experience the "small town" friendliness that brings us to a small town. I've noticed that the manager does a great job of keeping things nice and quiet, too, which is most likely no small task since there are tons of constructions workers staying here right now, who are working on a pipeline going through this area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lakewood, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

The manager was unfriendly. If I pass through La Junta in the future, I will be sure to pay extra money to stay someplace where they are not as eager to hurl insults at me from across the desk. That's my main complaint.

Also, the room smells a bit like the surrounding effluent of the Arkansas River valley. I got used to it after a few hours. The sheets were washed with a really perfumey detergent that made my skin itch and as a result, I couldn't sleep. The microwave worked. The refrigerator worked. Both were clean.

Room Tip: As the name implies, this motel is in the heart of town. All the chains are on the west side of tow...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Tom A, General Manager at Midtown Motel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
I don't know what you would be talking about as I am not unfriendly. You are being very vague as to what you are referring to and I am sorry if you feel i was unfriendly. We have a excellent reputation and if you would like to let me know what you are referring to maybe we can figure out what went wrong. Again I am sorry your stay was not pleasant.
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

So friendly and economical - the new owners welcome us and our dog with a clean room and a great deal! We travel to LaJunta maybe two or three times a year; and we're happy to find the Midtown available and welcoming our pet. We celebrated "Small Business Saturday" while staying at this hospitable "Mom and Pop" business; and we'll come back when we can.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Turners Falls, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

I completely lucked into this place. Clean, quiet, safe, great price, really nice manager and staff. If I ever go back to La Junta, I will stay there again, no question. It's right in town, so an easy walk to the main downtown area. The motel has a nice, old-fashioned feeling about it. There's nothing fancy, but I found everything I needed, and the friendly management can't be beat. My room had a huge recliner chair that was comfortable to work in using my laptop. I planned to stay one night, stayed 6, because I kept finding things to do in La Junta and it just was nice to be there. I'm really glad I bypassed the chain motels and found this one.

There's an artists' co-op on Rt. 50 (don't let the number throw you -- it's just around the corner from the Copper Kettle) with some very nice stuff at very fair prices. Also, on the main street is a fair trade/thrift store combination that has some good items. Copper Kettle is great for breakfast or lunch, also very friendly and helpful. Lucy's Tacos is tiny and not much to look at, but I kept going back because the food was outstanding -- fresh, delicious, friendly, and cheap.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Enid, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We stayed there four nights while visiting family this month. The room was clean, the bed comfortable. We had instant hot water and lots of water pressure. The manager was very helpful. We had a light bulb go out in the bathroom and he was there immediately to take care of the problem. Overall, the stay was a good experience. The only downside I saw was no outlets in the bathroom. But we will be staying there again on our next visit.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Grand Junction, Colorado, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

After searching for a motel in the Las Animas - La Junta, Colorado area, I have finally found a place to stay every month when we are in town. My husband is very picky and he gave this motel a thumbs up. Excellent price, quiet, relaxing, great staff; friendly but professional.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Truchas, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

This is an older motel off the highway that is very well taken care of--very, very clean --and a friendly owner at the desk. Have stayed there overnight traveling between Taos and Minnesota four times. It is very Quiet so you can rest from a day on the road. Quiet and Clean a rare find for those on a tight budget or Social Security. Breakfast is a charming breakfast place within walking distance, called the Copper Kettle, and dinner is Boss Hawg at the highway. The town has great antique stores. I'm impressed with the help that take care of the place--it's immaculate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Midtown Motel? Share your experiences!