“Great view, friendly service - You pay for the location” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Badlands Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Interior
Badlands Inn
You added Badlands Inn to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Inn   |   I-90 Exit 131 Highway 377, Interior, SD 57750-0103   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Interior B&B and Inns
Ironwood, Michigan
“Great view, friendly service - You pay for the location”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Our stay was OK, I guess it is a typical motel - overpriced due to it's location and lack of other lodging competition. The staff is VERY friendly and helpful, the AC works very well. Our bathroom door would not shut at all, which was a bit awkward with 4 people in the room. The linens on the bed were torn and the carpet in the room was a bit gross, but overall it is probably the best choice in the area. We ate at 1 of the 2 choices to eat dinner at - Cedar Lodge Restaurant. Again, no real competition for them, so the food and service was pretty basic. It think if I did this trip all over again, I would plan to drive through the badlands, hike around for the day & head into another town to spend the night. BUT if you didn't mind the desolation and just needed a comfortable bed to rest your head for the night at a bit of a price, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Long Valley, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The best thing about Badlands Inn is its location. The room and bathroom was clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast area is a little small for the number of guests they have but it is well stocked and the lady working at the desk was very friendly. We had issues trying to connect to wifi with our mobile devices a result of their network's limited bandwidth. Can't beat the location though!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had an OK stay here. The best thing about it was its location; there are very few other lodging options this within the Badlands. Of course, you pay quite a bit more for the location, which budget-conscious folks such as myself seldom like to do. However, the view is quite impressive, as you are right next to the wall of the Badlands and sunrise and sunset are quite spectacular to see from here. The staff was professional and friendly.

The room was adequate. Overall, it was clean and odor-free, and had good climate control. There were a couple of flies that were very annoying and tough to get rid of though. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and odor-free. There was a TV, but I did not watch it. There was free Wi-Fi, which was dependable. There was a small continental breakfast, which was mainly cold items with toast-able items.

The one negative was that I had difficulty getting into my room. I had to walk back down stairs from the second floor to the front desk with my baggage to tell the front desk that I could not get in. The front desk staff though was prompt and went back up to find a solution, and found that you had to turn the door handle quite a bit forcefully to open the latch. After this I had no further problems, but I always find it annoying when I have to walk back to the front desk with all my baggage, and it doesn't set a good first impression.

Folks that like lodging in comfort within the convenient premises may find the $140 price reasonable. I, on the other hand would not stay here again because of it's low overall value; the overall star quality is more like a $50 to $80 inn, but you pay for location. In the future I would pay less at a different location further away, or camp if I wanted to stay on site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This inn is no Marriott, but it is well worth the price. The lady at the front desk is extra warm and helpful. The rooms are clean and updated (as I gather, some are renovated and others are in the process). The beds and bathrooms look good. There is an amazing view of the Badlands since it is located right outside of the Interior gate. The scene is peaceful, calm, and very family friendly. Almost all the visitors we have seen have children. There are no pool, gym, laundry, or other amenities, but we aren't looking for them, so it doesn't effect the rating. We have not had the continental breakfast yet, but the list of options looks decent: bagels, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, etc.... no eggs and bacon, but it will surely suffice. Microwave, mini-fridge, and coffee are all found in the rooms. Overall, I am very happy with our choice to stay here and would definitely recommend it to someone just needing a place to stay for the night.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view. Be prepared for very few choices of nearby restaurants.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My family of 5 stayed at Badlands Inn for 2 nights (we used an air mattress). This is an old building; well-worn, but adequate. Similar to budget lodging in that the AC is loud, room is small, and carpeting needs replacing. We paid $140 per night, way too much for the property, but the location is perfect and every room has a view. Dark enough to see the night sky. Staff very friendly and they do their best. Continental breakfast and one bag of ice per night was included. Right down the street from the other Badlands hotel, which has a restaurant (fair) and gift shop.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Palatine, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

What can you say about this place. It is a nice clean little inn - which is always great but it is location, location location!!!! We stayed here in the beginning of July and it was great! Practically every room faces the park, so you can see the sunrise and sunset! It was worth it. There is the lodge in the park but this is the second closest place to the park. It allowed us to get more hiking time. Plus they give you a 5 pound bag of ice!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights during our cross-country trip and were happy and surprised by the quality of our stay. The bed was soft and comfortable - we both slept very well. The location was perfect. The Badlands Inn is just outside of the Badlands National Park's south entrance by about 500 feet. We could see the park's amphitheater from our room. Thus, the motel has a view of the Badlands themselves. Also, we really enjoyed the little continental breakfast provided in the motel's dining area/office each morning. The motel is rustic, don't expect luxury, but it is clean, comfortable, well-situated, and well-run. If you're going to the Badlands, stay here before you stay anywhere in Wall. Waking up in the morning to see the park and going to sleep at night with the ability to step outside and see the stars makes the Badlands Inn a great choice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Badlands Inn? Share your experiences!