“Love this Place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantic Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Berlin
Atlantic Hotel
2 North Main Street, Berlin, MD 21811   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Berlin
Tamaqua, Pennsylvania
“Love this Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at the Atlantic Hotel for the last two years in a row, and we absolutely love it. I hate the cheap feel of Ocean City, MD, and this place offers a beautiful, romantic alternative. As another reviewer mentioned, this place has an old-world charm that you don't find often. You do feel like you are stepping back in time while you are here, but in a good way. The rooms are beautiful (be sure to ask for one in the front, facing the street. The ones on the third floor in the back are a bit small and lack the charm of the larger rooms). Drummers Cafe is great for late-night drinks (try the Orange Crushes!), and the food is excellent. Dinner is worth every penny. Although they do not serve breakfast, there is a breakfast diner across the street and a great brunch place next door that serves Mimosas and has live music (It is called The Globe). There is also a coffee shop behind the hotel. Grab a coffee and relax on the beautiful porch.

Instead of the cheap chain stores that one finds in Ocean City and on the boardwalk, Berlin features a variety of interesting little shops on the same street as the hotel--there is a wine bar, some craft shops, and a WONDERFUL Jewelry/Chocolate shop (What a combination! Buy specialty truffles and a few necklaces. Great prices!)

When we stay in Berlin, we usually go to Assateague, which is only 10 minutes down the road. Not only does this beach have the wild horses (we have seen them on every trip there), it also charges a small fee to use the beach, so this keeps the crowds away.

If you want a memorable, romantic beach vacation that doesn't involve huge crowds, junk stores, and dirty hotels, then this is the place for you. We will stay here every time we visit Maryland.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brookfield, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed here for two night recently. This place is about 10 minutes or so from seeing the wild ponies on the island. It is located in the heart of Berlin, which goes for like 2 blocks in all directions-small town. We had one of the two smaller rooms so it did seem a little pricey for the room, but none the less it is a beautiful hotel.
But like other reviews state, the staff does not stay over night. We had a power outage at 1-2 am and it woke all the rooms up and the local police and fire dept I think since it was the hotel among other parts of the town were out, sorted it all out and we got power back in an hour. We didn't eat here so I can't review the place to eat on the main floor, but it smelled good. So if you need a place to crash and have it located in the heart of a cool little town complete with antique stores, cafe's and the such then this is the place for you, as this i think is really the only hotel to choose from anyway.

Room Tip: Room 15 is very small, but it is a corner room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We were just passing through and stayed only one night, but it was a great stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived, and set us up in a nice little room overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was cute - a good amount of victorian antique feeling, but not that cluttered, dusty and grandmotherly feel that I am not a fan of. We had a little bit of trouble figuring out the AC, but otherwise everything in the room was exactly as advertised and it was an uncomplicated night. Like other guests I would have liked a coffee maker or something in the room - they have these fantastic porches that would have been wonderful to sit on in the early morning with a cup of coffee.

We didn't eat in the hotel but had great meals at an italian restaurant down the road and the diner just across the street.

All in all I'd highly recommend the Atlantic and would be happy to spend more time there myself.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Marion Station, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I planned a trip to historic Berlin with some girlfriends for the last weekend in April. We decide to stay at the Atlantic Hotel for the full Berlin experience. Everyone was excited. While enjoyed the weekend, I wish I had known a few things about the Atlantic Hotel before checking in. It would have made the stay much more enjoyable.

HERE'S WHAT WAS GREAT:

STAFF and ROOMS - The staff was excellent. Everyone was kind and respectful, from the time we made the reservations, to check-in and check-out. The housekeeping staff was courteous and friendly, and the restaurant staff was attentive and professional. The rooms were small (to be expected in a historic hotel) and clean. The the linens new and crisp. The rooms decorated with period furnishings yet each had a flat screen television. 2 bathrobes were hung in the bathrooms for the guests to use. The antique beds were comfortable, and extra pillows and blankets / quilts were provided.

HOTEL WAS CLEAN - All the areas of the hotel were clean, dusted and vacuumed - including the porch, the lobby, public restrooms, stairs, hallways and guest rooms. There is elevator access in case the grand staircase is too much for guests to maneuver with luggage, and there is designated parking behind the hotel. The Atlantic has succeeded in keeping its historic integrity while providing modern conveniences and a clean environment.

HERE'S WHAT WAS CHALLENGING:
The Atlantic Hotel doesn't provide some of the personal service people expect when staying at a hotel.

NO STAFF ON SITE AFTER 9:30 PM - The hotel has no staff on site from about 9:30 pm to 8:00 am the next morning. I didn't realize this and arrived unexpectedly late Friday night. I nearly got shut out for check-in. My group had all checked in, and I had spoken earlier in the day to hotel staff confirming my reservation so I assumed all was fine for my check in that night even though I was late. It never occurred to me that no one would be staffing the hotel when I arrived. Thank God one of my friends suggested I call to tell them. So while in a kayak on Ayers Creek participating in a sunset paddle excursion, I pulled out my cell phone and called the Atlantic Hotel to say I'd be arriving around 9 or 10 pm. Sure enough, staff was leaving by 9:30. The evening desk clerk (who was very nice and helpful) gave me directions on how to get my key out of a lock box by the back door.

NO MORNING COFFEE - Coffee is one of those things you figure will always be there in the morning at any hotel. It's in the coffee-drinkers' subconscious. In Berlin there is NO coffee in the town before the coffee shop opens at 8:00 am. So if you're up early like we are - you'll look all around the hotel checking the lobby for complimentary coffee tankards, then you'll search the halls and porches for a vending machine, then you'll start walking around town knowing there just HAS to be one place for coffee drinkers. You'll find that the diner opens at 8 am. The coffee shop opens at 8 am. The bakeries open at 10 (!?!). The final option once you realize there REALLY IS NO COFFEE in the town is to drive the short distance to a convenience store.

This was my experience. It was really no trouble at all to drive out for coffee. I just wish I'd known that's what I had to do before getting so frustrated. As I sat out on the porch drinking my coffee, I counted twelve people strolling the downtown in the course of about an hour. Six of them (3 couples) asked where I got my coffee. Around 8:00 am I got something out of my car and noticed two cyclists sitting on the steps of the coffee shop waiting for it to open.

The owner of the coffee shop explained things to me. She said the hotel owner feels it's too costly to staff the hotel at night and still be profitable, that also goes for staff making morning coffee for early risers. The rooms are full of antiques that could be destroyed by in-room coffee makers. I get that - really, I do. But a simple, no-cost solution would be to offer each guest a welcome package that explains this. "Coffee is available in town only after 8:00 am. Before that, it's just a short 3 minute drive out of town. Here are the directions." When a guest knows these things in advance and has a solution in hand, there's no frustration.

NO PUBLIC SPACE FOR GROUPS - There is no real public space for 5 to 7 people to relax and have conversation in the Atlantic hotel. No problem for a single traveler or couples, but if you're traveling in a group this is important to know There is a small room on the second floor furnished with a few antique chairs and there are odd clusters of 2 to 3 seats in the hallways - 2 rockers on the upper porches. The hotel's public spaces accommodate no more than 2 or 3 at a time. Even the deluxe room two of our guests had was too small for six people to gather comfortably. The restaurant and bar are for patrons. The rooms off of the lobby are locked. Relaxing as a group together after day is done is difficult in this hotel.

BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY - The last morning of our stay (Sunday) we'd planned to go to the The Globe Theater for their Sunday Brunch but found out that morning (note on the door) that it was closed for a wedding. Evidently the Globe is the only option for breakfast downtown on Sunday. We asked the hotel staff for suggestions of other places outside the downtown. They wanted to be helpful but had no ideas or suggestions of where to go. They admitted that breakfast on Sunday in town was a problem for guests. This was disappointing.

MORE LIKE A CONDO THAN A HOTEL
I think public perception about Hotels - even historic hotels - is that there is a certain hospitality that comes with the hotel experience. Staying in the Atlantic Hotel was more like staying in rented condo. .. nice digs, but you're on your own if want more than what's provided in the room.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE WAS GOOD - All in all, the hotel is beautiful, well kept, clean and has friendly staff. As long as a guest knows what to expect, the stay should be fine. I would encourage the Atlantic Hotel management to develop better communication with its patrons about available services, and work with the staff to present solutions that fill in the gaps. That wouldn't cost anything extra in the way of overhead or profits, and may make more people willing to return for a second visit.

Room Tip: Chat with the person making your reservation. The staff is very knowledgeable and the rooms are view...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Burlington, VT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

The good:

Atlantic Hotel is right in the heart of Berlin's little downtown/village area, which made it a very convenient and pretty little stroll to the nearby coffee shops, restaurants, and the sweet little boutiques and such that line the main street.

I loved the rocking chairs on the second-floor porch.

When we needed to change rooms (more about that in a second), the person at the front desk was very apologetic and professional and took steps to ameliorate the situation.

When we called about an incorrect charge (more about that in a second), we were told that we would receive a call back, and we got an e-mail instead ... which was fine, too.

The not-so-good:

The most startling thing was that, when we checked into our room at just after 3:00 p.m. (which is when their check-in begins), we found crusty sheets on the bed. We immediately went down to the front desk to request that someone change the sheets and were told that there was no one from housekeeping still on the property, so there was no one available to change the sheets. The front desk person then apologized and offered to move us to a different room, which we gladly accepted.

The room to which we were moved had a shower head that dripped about once per second nonstop, regardless of how tightly we tried to turn the valves. Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. All day and all night. Not a problem during the day, of course, but at night ...

Which brings me to the third point: it is a historic, old building, and while it is charming in some ways, the walls are very thin. We were on the second floor above the kitchen, so we heard not only the thundering footsteps of whoever was in the room above us (who was up frequently throughout the night and stomping back and forth across the floor ... not that that was the hotel's fault, but just to illustrate the lack of soundproofing), but the kitchen noise was really quite something; we heard every pan clattering and door opening and closing, and we heard lots and lots of conversation from the staff.

Billy Joel was also playing on what sounded like a constant loop in the dining/bar area for nearly two days. I happen to like Billy Joel, and even I was getting tired of it after a while.

When we were reviewing our credit card statement a few days later, we saw a mysterious charge from the hotel. We called to inquire about it, and the person answering the phone couldn't explain it and told me that someone would return my call. When we got a return e-mail the next day, we were told that it was a room-change fee (recall that we changed rooms because of dirty sheets and because no one was available to change the sheets), but that they would credit it back to us (and they did).

I think we would have felt fine about our stay there overall had it not started out with dirty sheets and no one to take care of that problem; the noise and the incorrect credit card charge in and of themselves would not have been a big deal at all—hey, those things happen and are to be expected as part of travel. There isn't much they can do about the noise in such an old building, and they took care of the credit card issue right away, so really, it was just the cleanliness issue. Unfortunately, cleanliness is a top priority for us when we travel, so it was really a challenge to stay there.

Advice to anyone staying there: request a room on the third floor and on the east side of the building, if possible, to hopefully mitigate the noise issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dover, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Berlin, Md is a quaint place with home town hospitality. The historic hotel is in the middle of the town. Parking is adequate unless an event is happening than parking is a problem. The hotel is beautifully decorated in period. Ambiance is great. A perfect place for anniversary, valentine or a romantic escape. However, do not expect to have coffee in the morning. The downside is nothing opens until after 8. For the early birds coffee was an issue, as the hotel doesn't offer coffee in am. There is a coffee shop behind the hotel but it doesn't open until 8. Perfect for antiquing, boutiques and local artisan shops. Not a place for kids, not a place for singles. Berlin, fifteen minutes from Ocean city is a perfect weekend escape. Summer brings many festivals and weekend adventures.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and sunny
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Willards, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Our experience was fantastic! We received this getaway as a wedding present and we were very pleased. It was a Valentine's weekend the stay the food was great. We would recommend this to anyone who loves the Victorian style hotel.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!