“Relaxing and Awesome RV Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castaways RV Resort & Campground

You added Castaways RV Resort & Campground to your Saves list
Castaways RV Resort & Campground
2.0 of 5 Cabin/Campground   |   12550 Eagles Nest Road, Berlin, MD 21811   |
“Relaxing and Awesome RV Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just returned from a 4 day vacation to Castaways RV Resort in Berlin, Maryland. This resort really lived up to it's 10/10/10 rating. There were 3 of us with our 2 dogs. If you are bringing your dogs, remember to bring your current rabies certificate with you. Our site was in the Club Castaways, 14b. It did cost extra but was well worth it. The bathrooms at this area were impeccably clean and well-equipped. The showers were hot and had great water pressure. Our site was very large and paved with a spot for your vehicle. It had a stand-up grill, fire ring and picnic table. There was plenty of room. The views are amazing in this area and you can see Assateague Island from the docks. There is a private pool in this area which can be a little cool with the bay breeze. It is a very quiet area. There is also a more family friendly pool near the store. The Secrets bar on the beach was great and had reasonably priced drinks. Our favorite was the dirty banana. The shop was well stocked and they had a café in the store that had reasonably priced food. We had a very nice breakfast there. The staff is incredibly friendly. The gentleman in the check-in area who was working the concierge desk was very nice and accommodating to our needs. We rented a golf cart which was $50 a day but was very convenient and well worth the price. It came in handy when we were going to the beach with all the beach stuff, especially with a 6 year old. The Recreation Activities staff were great with our son. On Saturday, they played volleyball and football and even walked him back from the pavilion after they made flags and took him back to the beach. They really go out of their way for their guests.
Make sure you take the bus into Ocean City and meet Robert. He is wonderful with his guests and always makes it a point to say hello to everyone and makes their stay enjoyable. He is very dedicated to his job.
If you want a true resort vacation, beachfront experience, Castaways is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ocean Pines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are in our mid 50's and live in Ocean Pines, about 15 minutes away. We used to camp at Castaways often...22 days split up over summer of 2011. When we returned in summer of 2012, many things had changed! Prices even higher and they have totally segregated their campground as to where you stay!!! For example...NOW, if you are not staying in Club Castaway, at a cost of well over $100.00 per night, you are not permitted access with your golf cart even if you just wanted to ride through and see it, and you are not permitted to use that pool!!! Of the 22 days we spent there, rarely were there EVER more than 6 people at this pool, and almost no kids! Not that we have anything against children...but when my wife and I want to cool off, we are not into a ton of screaming, splashing kids...which is our only option now!!! The fact that we live so close, we often enjoy having 1-2 friends stop by for a simple cookout, they might be there up to 2 hours, and Castaways charges them $15.00 each!!! Amazingly enough...if your'e not even camping there, but want to drink or eat at their beach bar...you are allowed in for free, and free parking!!! At Frontier Town (just 1 mile south of Castaways) for that same price of $15.00, the guest is allowed to spend the night AND have access to their wonderful water park for 2 days!!! Mostly we stayed in the far back lot, which is still over $90.00 per night (their least expensive) plus paying extra for our 2nd vehicle (which Frontier Town does not charge). Several times when we were there, several showers at different bath houses were out of order, and when I mentioned that to the staff, I was simply told, "yeah, they've been like that for a couple of weeks". Also...if you're site is available, there is a $15.00 fee to check in early!!! Even as little as 60 minutes early!!! Why should you have to pay an extra fee to check in to your empty site, to begin spending money with Castaways??? The beach was very nice, however I was getting sick and tired of security coming around to make sure I was wearing the appropriate bracelet corresponding to the area I was staying in!!! I have my own golf cart, and enjoy riding around chatting with other campers, and many that I have chatted with have said "no more Castaways, not worth the high fees" and have chosen Frontier Town just down the street! I'm not simply targeting Castaways and promoting Frontier Town (and no, I don't work there) but in this day and age, I'm sick and tired of constantly increasing fees, complimented by far less service! I despise constantly getting less and less for my money, year after year!!! I do not like Castaways attitudes, their high fees, extra fees, their service...and the fact that they are only about the money and not the camping experience!!! Obviously, when you could be paying upwards of $120.00 per night, while being charged extra for a friend to come by for dinner, but outsiders, whether by boat or car, have free access to eat and drink at their cash bar, it is totally obvious where Castaways priorities lie!!! I am usually not a "review writing person", however I'd do heavily rely on them when making certain decisions!!! If you don't trust this review, then I challenge you to stay at Castaways, and then write a review of your own! Or...feel free to copy and paste this one!!!

• Stayed August 2012
CastawaysCampground, General Manager at Castaways RV Resort & Campground, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
While I respect this guest’s right to comment on his stay, as the COO of Castaways Resort, I would like to point out several inconsistencies in this review.Frontier Town is indeed a wonderful campground. They are our neighbors and friends and we enjoy a mutual respect for one another. If you desire an amusement park experience-they are a wonderful place. If you prefer a more relaxed and laid back beach experience, Castaways would better suit your needs. However, both parks charge extra fees for visitors and vehicles. There is very little difference, if any, between our parks when it comes to extra fees.
Club Castaways is a private section of our park, where as you correctly state, guests pay a higher fee in order to enjoy more private amenities. In light of this, we do not allow guests from other sections of the park to use the amenities in Club Castaways. We have lovely facilities for all guests, but Club Castaways facilities are for Club Castaways guests only. Thus, we do ask guests in other sections to respect the right of the Club Castaways guests. I am sorry this guest felt targeted, but when any guest invades into a section of the park in which they are not permitted, we feel it is our obligation to address the matter.
Finally, since none of our bath houses are in ill repair, I would assume you tried to visit one when it was closed for cleaning. We monitor and clean our bath houses around the clock-and when one is closed for cleaning-there are many others open and available for use.
We at Castaways take great pride in the fact that we are the ONLY Park in Maryland to receive a
perfect 10/10/10 score from the Good Sam / Trailer Life Travel Directory. We excel in our services and facilities and are consistently honored on a National level. Therefore, I thought it only fair that I take the time to set the record straight.
Regards,
Kathleen Walsh, COO
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We were in site #277 right on the bay. It was so beautiful. We had a beautiful view out of our window all week long. We didn't have much to do with the office staff, but the few times I needed anything from a staff member they were friendly and helpful. There was so much to do at the campground we didn't have time to try everything. We found that the deli sandwiches from the campstore were a bit overpriced, but the sandwiches were good. There is a kayak rental shack right in the campground, and also a company that rents waverunners. You could really spend a week there and never have to leave the campground. I never even made it into the pool, but from the outside it looked very clean. Castaways was fantastic and I will be returning.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Edgewater, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I saw their shuttle bus the first year they were open and decided the second year to give them a try. We stayed on what they consider the "interior" sites and can say that while not shaded it was nice. We went back for their third season and I was 6 months pregnant, this time we stayed in "Island Oasis" I made my way to the bathroom in 98 degree heat to be told the bathroom was closed for cleaning....again 6 months pregnant in 98 degree heat and you want me to walk all the way across the campground? Our son was too young to be on the beach in the heat their fourth season so we opted for an out of season trip in a condo in OC. Checked this year and OMG the prices are insane. I think our last trip there will be our last. I even made a comment on their facebook page about their prices and they deleted my comment. They cater to adults more w/ their bar and activities. Their playground is par for the course and the beach, nice but the water smells so bad you have to shower immediately afterward. Their peak rates don't even end until after Sunfest. A campground down the street's peak season ends after Labor Day! NOT worth $100+ a night, sorry Castaways, you've lost this family!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Berwick, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed over Labor day.....staff was more than accomadating, very friendly, very clean. Dont expect alot of trees, but that only means your site is larger.. Really have nothing negative to stay. We will be back many times in the future....

• Stayed September 2012
Sewell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My family of 5 camps at least once per year. This past July we decided to try Castaways Resort in Berlin, MD. The campground is kept clean and all of the roads within the resort are paved which cuts down on dirt dragged into your living/sleeping quarters and also makes it easy to ride your bike around the premises. We are not into tents so we rented a cottage. It was brand new and well appointed. The living room had corner-wall mounted flatscreen tv with cable, a pullout double sofa and small dining table. The kitchen had full sized appliances and was completely stocked with plates, cups, pots, etc. One BR had a twin bunk bed and the masterBR had a queen bed. One thing that really stood out was that every room had loads of closets and drawers. Cute rocking chairs on the front porch. We were 4 cabins away from the beach bar. The kids played on the beach by day and the adults hung out at the bar day and night and listened to the music. The only real disappointment was the activities. They did a poor job of promoting the activities. My kids would show up and be the only kids there! For the beach event, even the counselors didn't show up. I called the office to inquire about it but they were clueless and gave no explanation as to why they didn't show up.
Even with the amenities, this place is overpriced!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Campground is clean and staff is friendly but it is too expensive. We paid over 98 a nite,very high for camping . We went down for OCbikefest Sept 13-16. believe it or not they charged us 2.50 extra per nite because I hauled my bike down in my truck.We asked if this was common for them, the clerk said "NO it just started". We asked if golf carts are extra, again "NO". Are you kidding me, That is just gouging.I mean its not the money its the principal.They start this charge just to get more cash from the bikers. Ridiculous
I don't think I will be returning. Back to Frontier town just down the road for us and our 5 other camping couples.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Castaways RV Resort & Campground? Share your experiences!