“Hit and miss” 3 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Hit and miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Nice dining atmosphere, though one of us didn't care for checkered tablecloths (but they are subdued.) The Pulcinella character theme pervades. Service was generally good, though one of the waitresses mumbled. Food was delivered speedily, with good home-made bread preceding.

Plus: pizza, lasagna, french fries(!).

Minus: chicken parmigiana sandwich - bread only okay, meat was not fresh - kind of heavy, thin and dry, with lots of breading. Bread within bread - not a good idea. Beer on tap not cold or fresh enough.

Salad very good at first blush, but overweighted with basalmic, so it didn't hold up. Should have interspersed the bread with the salad.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars

McLean
“Very Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I recently had dinner at this restaurant and was very disappointed by the quality of the food. I was there 2 months ago and had the mussels in white sauce which was very good. I ordered the same dish the other night and linguini seemed to be swimming in cooking oil, not olive oil. My husband ordered the pizza and he remarked that it was the worse pizza that he ever had. He complained to me that it was sweet. It was because of the sweet peppers used as a topping. Maybe there should be better oversight to improve the consistency in the preparation of the food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
Oakton, Virginia
“Disappointing.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I picked this restaurant based on earlier reviews for a dinner with a friend before going to a play at the Alden Center because I enjoy Italian food. We were seated at probably the worst table in the place, by the bar and the entrance to the kitchen, so lots of traffic past our table. However, the traffic did not include our server stopping to check on us--very minimal service here. I ordered my favorite Italian eggplant parmesan with spaghetti. The overcooked eggplant came in a small casserole dish with the spaghetti in another small dish--an odd presentation. My companion had a pasta dish that she did not finish, as it was not very good. We asked for parmesan cheese and were pointed to a shaker on the table. For the price, it was a very mediocre dinner. There were lots of customers but I won't be going there again.

• Visited February 2013
“Past Its Prime”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Used to be quite a spot, back in its prime. As other reviews here show, food quality is irregular. Some good dishes come out from the kitchen and some pretty poor dishes, too. Most guests would like some predictability in their food. I have had some good ones (generally the simplest, such as pizza) and I've had food served with an unpleasant odor. That was the last time I visited Pulcinella. Made me wonder about the sanitation in the kitchen. The Ristorante will survive on its reputation for some time longer and then it will either get new management or disappear. There are plenty of other good choices in the neighborhood.

• Visited February 2013
“Delicious pizza!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We ate dinner here while staying at the Staybridge suites across the street. It is very family- friendly with nice waitstaff, and quick service. It was a perfect meal for our children and for us.

Visited March 2013