“Wonderful service, friendly place, and great food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Assaggi Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 97 Restaurants in McLean
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Holmes Place
Transit: Bus line 23A or C (direction Langley) from Ballston Metro on the Orange line.
Description: Domenico Cornacchia, chef/proprietor of Assaggi Osteria, taps into ages of ancestral Italian cooking each time he steps into his kitchen and brings a rich love of the cuisine that he so skillfully nurtured through the years. “Assaggi means tastings in Italian,” explains Domenico, “The concept of my menu is based on a variety of items that may be ordered in smaller portions.” Before deciding to pursue his dream of operating his own restaurant, Domenico was corporate executive chef and partner at Café Milano, for more than 15 years. His culinary umbrella also covered Café Milano’s two sister restaurants, Sette Bello in Clarendon, VA., and Sette Osteria in Dupont Circle.  For those who love Italian cuisine, Assaggi Osteria features homemade pasta’s, fresh seafood, veal and scrumptious beef. Assaggi Osteria sources whole fresh fish from worldwide sustainable sources,offering the finest bounty the sea has to offer. Produce is purchased from Amish farms and all desserts are homemade.
“Wonderful service, friendly place, and great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I've been to Assaggi a number of times, and every time, we love it. The whole place has such a friendly atmosphere and they treat everyone very warmly. They have events that I hear are really well done. The food each time has been well seasoned and cooked well. I have never had a bland or bad meal, each time it was really great and we had a lovely evening.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Vienna, Virginia
“Not worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Long wait for our drinks. My gold margarita was not drinkable, way too sour. I sent it back and had a glass of wine instead. There was excellent bread served with good olive oil. Long wait for menus. The veal meatball appetizer was okay, not delicious. After I ordered my seafood risotto, the waiter came back and told me they were out of it. I ordered the halibut instead which tasted good. My husband ordered the whole fish Branzini which the waiter filleted for him and deboned. It was good but not wonderful and lacked a nice presentation. His potatoes were overcooked. The semifreddo dessert was very good. The whole experience was so-so, and we won't return. There are plenty of other restaurants around that are better.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
McLean, Virginia
“Try it for lunch on a weekday -- you should like it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

See several very critical reviews here. Three Italian Embassy wives recommended the Assagi when I asked them if they had found any good Italian food in the Washington area. I have never failed to like what was presented to me here. The sandwiches and salads for lunch are worth it (in the $10 price range) and -- though you shouldn't indulge -- the bread with olive oil is delicious. I can understand why the waiting falls apart when the restaurant is stressed, so it's best to come when you either have lots of time or you want to put on a leisurely lunch. The same fare on the weekends is quite expensive, however. Way about my pay grade.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Goshen, New York
“Fantastic Italian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is my first time at this restaurant. Have been to their other restaurant in Bethesday. Try the lobster with spaghetti. Excellent. We started with a meet board and well as a cheese board. Both excellent. Will certainly return to this restaurant. Excellent service. Be sure to make a reservation as the place was packed on Friday evening.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Great Falls, Virginia
“EVEN BETTER THE 2ND TIME”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Assaggi. Everything about this experience was outstanding. Being Sunday, we had to order from the dinner menu, and 2 appetizers, 2 pasta entrees, two coffees, and a half carafe of wine cost about $90. Not cheap, but given the excellence of the food, service, and ambiance, we consider it a bargain. We definitely will frequent Assaggi again.

In an earlier review, I criticized the price of wine. This time,we discovered that if you plow through the wine listings, you eventually find very good wines for sensible prices. If you want top of the line wines (e.g Barolo) they are available, but, understandably, pricey.

Although the location of the osteria is pedestrian, the interior is well laid out, the tables are well-spaced, and the noise level is very acceptable.

Overall, we consider Assaggi one of the best Italian restaurants we have eaten at, including those in Italy.

• Visited February 2013