“Great Moab restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 71 Restaurants in Moab
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Sunset Grill is in the former home of Uranium King Charlie Steen. In the early 1950s Moab was a small farming community. Arches and Canyonlands were places only a lucky few experienced. In 1952 Charles A. Steen, geologist and prospector, put Moab on the world map. The Sunset Grill specializes in hand-cut steaks, prime rib, seafood, and other traditional dishes.
neillsville
“Great Moab restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014

Sunset Grill offers a unique opportunity to enjoy a great dining and historical experience. The owner was there to greet us and provide an interesting and educational review of the history around uranium mining in the Moab area. The original owner of the building struck it rich and built his home at the top of the hill which is the Sunset grill now. The quality of the food was very good to excellent. Our waitress Lydia did a very good job. Service was a little slower do to a large group of diners that strained the capacity of the restaurant. The wait staff was friendly, courteous, and did there best to meet our needs. The view is awesome. I would go back and highly recommend this restaurant.

emoab, Owner at Sunset Grill, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I try to meet all of our guest and give them a short history lesson about the Sunset Grill. As you found out we are not just a restaurant we are the former home of Charlie Steen. The restaurant is very big. We have four dining rooms in a split-level home.

It’s quite challenging for the servers who have to work the downstairs. That’s where we seat the large parties for privacy from the other guest. Only the best servers can work that area.

I’m glad you enjoyed your dinners. All of our steaks are hand cut, all the vegetables are fresh, and also when in season we have a good variety of fresh fish. I have even flown in live lobster from Maine for Valentines Day.

I see that you went to the Moab Diner, we are very good friends with the owners and I coached their son in baseball. Great people.

Happy trails and thank you for visiting Moab

Moab, Utah
“Moab recommended restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sunset Grill offers a great scenic view over Moab. We had half a duck roasted to perfection with a great Cranberry Sauce and a perfect Steak. The Service was excellent. We enjoyed the evening and surely will be back for more... Thanks!!!

emoab, Owner at Sunset Grill, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. In the last few years we have setup a patio section so our international guest can view the sunsets and just sit and relax on one of our patios. Purchases are not required, just a place to relax from their daily activities.

I have purchase a high power spotting scope so our guest can view the stars, planets, the moon, and downtown Moab. From the Sunset Grill you could see my truck shopping at the local grocery store ~3 miles away. It just another was to enjoy the Sunset Grill.

I almost forgot I will let the cooks know about the duck and the steak. They take pride in cooking the best food in Moab. My senior cook has been working at the Sunset Grill for over 18 years.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Avoid being the last client!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Food was good, but avoid being the last client... We were starting dinner at 1930 and when all other clients left, we felt pressed by the staff to finish quickly. Other tables were cleaned, we were asked whether we want dessert while still halfway through dinner, bill was put on our table, etc. food was great, but this spoiled the evening a bit

emoab, Owner at Sunset Grill, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thanks for your review.

Being the last customer you should not have been treated that way. I hade a very firm discussion with the servers. The heat needs to be on and the music still playing until the last customer leaves. I was not present or I would have taken care of this situation.

The restaurant closes at 8:15 in the winter and as I was writing this I had someone call to see if we were still opened 9:40 pm. If the kitchen equipment were still hot I would have personally served them. I called several restaurants and they were all closed.

But you should not have been rushed. Maybe it was a misunderstanding but it wont happen again.

Cedaredge, Colorado
“Wonderful food and wonderful service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Just had a lovely meal of prime rib while overlooking the beautiful valley at sunset. Alisha was the perfect waitress - always there before having to ask for anything. Restaurant was very neat and clean. Amazing views from the dining room - we will be back when it is warmer and enjoy the patio. The prime rib was fork-tender and a huge portion, homemade ranch dressing was the best I have ever had (and I've tasted plenty...) I had read several reviews saying it was "pricey", but we didn't think so considering the portion (brought home over half my piece of beef and will have it tomorrow).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
MONTROSE
“Best Thanksgiving meal ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Food is always consistently good as we eat here every time we visit Moab. The meal at thanksgiving was excellent, fresh and the turkey stuffing exceptional. The owner is personable
and makes every effort to keep this one of Moab's best places to eat out. The view and
atmosphere just add to a great experience. Save room for the home made desert's which are
great also.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Sunset Grill? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Sunset Grill, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.