“Great horseback riding! The ride there is beautiful.the staff is great.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Red Cliffs Lodge

You added Red Cliffs Lodge to your Saves list
Red Cliffs Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mile Post 14 Hwy 128, Moab, UT 84532   |
Offers & Announcements
Dinner Certificate for 2!
Ranked #1 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great horseback riding! The ride there is beautiful.the staff is great.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

We signed up for the 1 hour ride at 4 pm and it was well worth it.I think the 3 hour ride would have been too much for me as a beginner. They took us through a beautiful trail along a creek. My horses name was chism and he was a sweet heart. The staff is really friendly and outgoing. The horses are very calm. They had a special for $50/person and I thought it was well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013
Rhonda G, Public Relations Manager at Red Cliffs Lodge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments about your visit with us at Red Cliffs Lodge. We look forward to seeing you again in the future. Best wishes, Rhonda Graham - Red Cliffs Lodge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

If I could do 4.5, I would. There were only two small short-comings keeping me from going to 5 for this place. I am going to start with all of the great things: it is away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Moab yet accessible to lots of four-wheeling adventure, which was our target activity for our trip to the area; the cabins on the river are so private, despite being right next to each other, thanks to the privacy walls on the sides of your deck; right on the river and far enough from the road, so you hear nothing but the water; very nicely furnished cabins with upscale toiletries and decor. One shortfall was the kitchenette. Yes, I should have read more closely as it does say that it has a refrigerator and a microwave, but I am accostomed to hotels saying they have a "microwave and refrigerator," without labeling it a kitchenette. As such, I went expecting to be able to cook and was not able to. The "kitchenette" is a MINI-frig and a microwave and sink. It will suit you just fine if what you want to do is keep leftovers safe and reheat them or if you want to have your own cold breakfast (e.g. cereal) in the morning to save money. If you are expecting to be able to cook, don't expect that. It all worked out because we had planned on eating in the restaurant there one of our nights and we were not disappointed. We had our own wine and the restaurant goes above and beyond catering to you taking food to eat at your cabin, rather than the restaurant itself. They cover the plates and pack them nicely in an insulated bag you can carry back to your place. It was like room service that I picked up. The insulated bag and covers kept everything warm as I walked it back to our cabin and then pairing it with our own wine on our private deck, it made it better for us than eating at the restaurant. The food was very good quality. If you just look at the price, it may seem high but the quality matches the price, so no complaints from us. The mini-frig did have a freezer so I just froze the steak I had planned on cooking and we picked up pizza at Paradox Pizza (recommended - feel free to check my review for them too) for our second night and again got to enjoy it on our deck by the river. The only other thing that keeps me from going to 5 is that the beds are not the most comfortable I've slept in and the sleeper sofa was awfully uncomfortable. However, not so bad that we didn't sleep well enough. So, just those two short-coming around the kitchen and bed quality kept me from giving this place a 5, but I do wish I could go higher than 4. I do have to send a special thanks to the staff, who were always friendly and helpful and even went above and beyond by participating in the treasure hunt I was doing for my kids around the property.

Room Tip: Staying in the cabins are worth the money. Not that much more expensive and the advertisement does...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I spent two nights at this lodge and it is a real treat. If you aren't a camper, this is a great way to feel a part of the spectacular outdoor beauty with all the comforts of a lodge. I was in one of the rooms overlooking a pasture (not the river) and it had the sense of a cabin (although the room was not standalone).

My room was quite large with a kitchenette, comfortable bed, small desk, high ceilings, great bathroom. It's really the location that is unique and just plain gorgeous...but be aware, it is not anywhere near the town of Moab (which can be "gritty" as noted by another reviewer). It is a solid 30 minute drive (and a beautifully scenic one) but I wanted to do sunrise and sunset photography at Arches National Park and Canyonlands so the extra time was a bit of a nuisance. I realize that this isn't a problem for many travelers, but it is one reason for the 4 rather than 5 stars. The other reason is I just think it's a little too expensive. Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful and unique property, but I was sleeping in an attached room and the noises that come with that. Also, the indoor furnishings were nice, but the outside patio had cheap, plastic furniture - just not nice. Others have noted the spotty wifi and that was my experience too. For the price, I think those things should be noted.

Because the location is so far from anything, you'll probably take some meals in the restaurant. I had dinner and breakfast and both were tasty and reasonably priced and complete with a beautiful view. The breakfast is a buffet style (no menu options). I recommend advance reservations for dinner as it seemed every guest was eating there.

If you are looking for a value option in town (granted this is a totally different experience but definitely a good alternative if you are watching your dimes), check out my review for the Inca Inn in Moab.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
jjlalumi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Beautiful Views, Lots of Activities, Great Location, but Many Things Overlooked

This property has many wonderful amenities, activities and views of the beautiful Utah landscape. Tucked away on rural route 128 this is a great place to chill out and unwind. Just when we thought we were on the wrong road/our GPS has led us astray, we came upon The Lodge and its sprawling views.

Pros:

45 minutes from I-70, 20 minutes from the town of Moab and the Arches State Park.

Family and pet friendly

Quiet and secluded location

The rooms (condo-style accommodations) are spacious, rather well appointed and many of them face the river. When reserving at this property be sure to request a unit that has a view of the river in the back. With the quaint patios a view of the river makes for a nice evening when you are enjoying a glass of wine while you take in the amazing views.

There is an onsite winery with wine tasting. The winery also boasts many neat snacks, souvenirs, non-alcoholic beverages, and reasonably priced, delicious wines. The Chardonnay was my favorite.

Cons:

Customer Service: As many others have indicated on Tripadvisor.com the staff at the front desk was not overly welcoming. They were pleasant, but not warm. I am not sure if they were attempting to be as efficient as possible, if they were over-worked, or if they didn’t want to be bothered, but we felt that we were being rushed out from the moment that we walked in. Furthermore, when a guest is checking in, it’s not good customer service to answer the phone and have a five-minute conversation. When a guest is checking in, and the phone rings, it is more appropriate to answer the phone and ask the caller to hold.

Additionally, the staff member tending to the winery and the wine tasting, also seemed to be put out by our presence. We arrived at the winery around 4:30 pm (wine tasting runs until 6:30 pm) and it seemed as if she had other pressing job duties that she would rather be doing than tending to customers. Again, she was pleasant, but she rushed us through the tasting and kept asking if there was anything else she could do for us, and if we were going to purchase anything. We bought a few bottles of wine, and some snacks, but we would have perused a little more and perhaps would have bought more items if we weren’t made to feel as if we weren’t wanted.

The Restaurant: Firstly, the main lodge and the restaurant area are very warm. It was evident by the temperature, even in April, that the lodge does not have air conditioning or climate control is not a concern for this property. During check-in and the two meals that we ate at this hotel, it was so warm inside the lodge that we were sweating while we were eating/checking in. I am all for conserving energy and being kind to the environment, but temperature control, for guest comfort, is a must.

Secondly, the bottles of wine that are sold on the property’s winery are sold in the restaurant at more than twice the price. I bought the Castle Creek Chardonnay at the winery at the price point of $12.95. That same bottle in the restaurant was $27.00. The distance between the winery building and the main lodge is roughly three minutes walking distance. It’s a bit of a stretch to charge patrons $27.00 for a bottle of wine that they can buy for $12.95 just a few feet away from the restaurant. What is even more infuriating is if you wish to bring in a bottle of wine that you purchased at the onsite winery, into the dining room you will be charged a $10.00 corking fee. My advice to my fellow frugal cost conscious travelers is to enjoy the wine from the onsite winery in your room before or after dinner. The wine is delicious but not worth $27.00 a bottle. I understand that dining establishments usually double or even triple the cost of a bottle of wine to cover the cost of shipping, handling, overhead costs as well as a plethora of other costs, but this pricing practice does not make sense for this location, and should be re-evaluated.

Lastly, the food at this location is not much above your average bar. We had supper at the lodge and we ate breakfast there once, as well. The meals were unimpressive, and rather expensive for what they were. Our server was attentive and she was really sweet, but the pleasantry of the dining experience ended there. The bad food coupled with the extremely warm temperatures made both the supper and breakfast dining experiences less than enjoyable.

Moving on to the accommodations:

The first thing that we noticed was that the bath towels were not soft; rather they were rough and scratchy, as was the hygienic paper for the toilet. While it is understood that the Red Cliffs is a rustic lodge, some things should be above bare minimum.

Secondly, while the room was surface clean, for the most part, our ceiling fan had cobwebs on it, and the dining set in our unit had jelly/jam on the chairs. When we moved in, I had to stand on the bed to clean the fan, and I had to clean the jelly off the dining table chairs.

The next thing that we thought was substandard was the housekeeping service. When our room was serviced, after us having left a favorable tip from the day before, we noted that our coffee was not refilled, and when the bathroom floor was washed there were puddles of water left in the large grout seams. We had to use a towel to dry the floors. Furthermore, the dining area floor was not cleaned/mopped. This should have been done, as there were dust prints from our shoes left on the floor from the morning rush to get out of the unit and our day started. I cleaned the floors, but again, not something a guest should have to do.

The Gym:
While it is understood that many guests who stay at this hotel are there to spend most of their time out of doors hiking and being active in the nearby parks, the gym facilities at the Red Cliffs are more of an afterthought rather than a functioning gym facility. The equipment is substandard, and there are no towels available for use, nor is there disinfectant available to wipe down the machines after use. This is a barebones gym, nothing more. While staying at this location, if you are an avid workout enthusiast, plan on getting all of our workout time in while you are enjoying the parks.

This lodge has the potential to be so much more than what it is. With a little more attention to the details and a slight more friendly first impression this could be a five-star property.

Room Tip: Ask for a condo unit facing the river, toward the end of the property. There is less traffic toward...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Folsom, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Beautiful hotel with great location and views. The staff is very nice and courteous. We did not stay at the hotel. We went Horseback Riding. Our guides were Jill, Tricia and Nicole. They did a great job of matching horses with riders. They were very knowledgeable, and kind. The Horse's facilities were very neat and clean. The Horses were healthy and well maintained as well. Nicole was exceptionally helpful, kind, and nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Austin, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Red Cliffs lodge, ½ an hour outside of Moab, is a peaceful place to stay in a gorgeous setting. We stayed in a riverside cabin and found it to be quite clean and comfortable. The cabin is detached and has a porch facing the Colorado River. The living area has a small built-in desk, with desk lamp, telephone (free local and 1-800 calls), and an Ethernet cable; a couch facing a tv above a gas log fireplace; an eating table with four heavy chairs; and a kitchen counter with sink, mini-fridge, and cabinets stocked with plates, glasses and utensils. The bedroom also had a small desk with Ethernet cable; a Jacuzzi tub in one corner of the room; a free-standing closet stocked with two bathrobes and a safe; a heavy ranch sitting chair; and a comfortably firm king-sized bed. The bathroom was comfortably sized with bathtub, toilet and a single sink. Towel hooks are creatively constructed with horse-shoes. The cabin includes reverse osmosis water taps at both the kitchenette and bathroom sinks.

Our major complaint with the Red Cliffs Lodge is that they advertise wifi, but they really aren’t equipped to provide it. Wireless speeds are at BEST 0.3 Mbps, couple that with a lack of AT&T cell phone service, and our wireless devices were unusable as communication devices. The only internet connectivity we were able to use was the Ethernet cables overnight while people are sleeping or mid-day when most people are away from the resort for the day. As Red Cliffs Lodge is removed from the city, they rely on satellite service, which we found during our stay to run at a maximum of 1.5 Mbps if connected to the Ethernet cable. However, in the morning before people go adventure for the day, or evening after they return to the resort, the internet connection is essentially worthless as the system is overwhelmed with too many users. They just don’t have enough speed or bandwidth to accommodate today’s always connected (often on multiple devices) guests. While technically they do have wifi, practically speaking it doesn’t work when most people want to use it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments, Bamboo_Orchid. We take our customers comfort and feedback very seriously and strive to improve based upon comments that we receive. Because of our location in the west as well as being 15 miles from Moab on a scenic byway we have fewer Internet service options at our disposal. Having purchased every Internet service that is accessible for us, we have a maximum Bonded T1 as well as a DSL line into the property. Unfortunately, there is nothing else available to us due to our location. We are acutely aware that most of our guests have various devices and cell services and that... at times, our Internet can be very slow. For that reason we do not charge any of our guests for Internet use. Cell towers have been restricted in this area, therefore there is nothing we can do for our guests that do not have Verizon. At best, even Verizon service can be sketchy. We are searching every day for additional options and we implement them as they become available to us. Overall it sounds as if your visit with us here at Red Cliffs Lodge was very enjoyable. We hope that you will visit us again in the future! Thank you again for your comments. We appreciate it. Rhonda Graham - Red Cliffs Lodge
Anaheim Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I recently completed a work event at the Red Cliff Lodge. The staff was extremely accommodating and always courteous. I can’t complement them enough on their hospitality, location, and the overall experience. It’s rare these days’ to experience genuine people who provide the level of service that Sandy and her staff provided us. I appreciate all the work they did and for making our team feel special. It was nice to see an owner so appreciative too. Be sure to try the wine.

Thank you to the entire staff!

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the river. The view and sounds of the river just adds to the experienc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Red Cliffs Lodge? Share your experiences!