“Trip Highlight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hauer Ranch

Hauer Ranch
PO Box 696, Moab, UT 84532 (Formerly Back Country Mules)
435-259-8015
Improve this listing
Kitchener, Canada
“Trip Highlight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I and 2 kids (age 10 & 7) had a recent trip to Moab and decided to try the Hauer Ranch for a trail ride. Our wrangler Sam was fantastic! Beautiful setting!
Give yourself time to find the place... a sign at the road would help, but that may have been taken care of by now.

Visited May 2013

Tallahassee, Florida, United States
“Fun and informative horseback ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

John the owner and Samantha his assistant took my wife and me on a 2 1/2 hour trail ride along the Colorado River, a small creek bed and through the open range around the Hauer Ranch. The ranch is a short distance from the Fisher Tower and other scenic areas off Highway 128. We went through locations where various movies and commercials had been filmed. John was very well versed in the history of the area, the plant and animal life and of course film making done there. Neither my wife nor I are experienced horse back riders but John and Samantha put us at ease and told us what to do prior to starting the ride, so we really did not have any problems on the trail. To do something fun other than visiting the national parks this is a good choice.

Visited May 2013
Sandy, Utah
“Very special experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

My fiance surprised me with a horseback experience. O'Brian was our guide and he did a great job with our tour. We experienced trails with creeks, inclines and declines, and some wide open ranges. We received some nice photographic memories too.

While we did wait longer than usual, the 2 1/2 hour ride with the various scenery and terrain, as well as it just being the two of us and our guide, was well worth it. Thanks for a great experience, we'll be back with some friends next time.

T and J

Layton, Utah
“Great Horseback Ride”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Our family had a very enjoyable ride in the beautiful country along the Colorado River. Ranch staff were very helpful and informative about the area. My 8 year old daughter had so much fun she kept asking if she could go back for the next couple of days while we were in Moab.

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Gorgeous setting in Fischer Towers area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The scenery around this ranch is spectacular. Probably better for slightly more experienced riders. My sensitive daughter had a bad experience trying to slow her trotting horse, after minimal rein instruction at the start, and got firmly reprimanded by the owner, which upset the middle part of an otherwise very nice trail ride. The owner did afterwards make a special effort to help her enjoy the last part of the ride and taught her properly how to stop her horse. Some of the horses were on their third ride that day, so maybe would be better to do a morning ride in the busy season if you are not particularly adept at controlling a tired horse. But I do recommend this as a fun family outing in the Moab area.