“Cheap place to stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lazy Lizard International Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
Lazy Lizard International Hostel
You added Lazy Lizard International Hostel to your Saves list
1213 S. Highway 191, Moab, UT 84532   |
Ranked #20 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Moab
Atlanta, Georgia
“Cheap place to stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

If you are looking for a super cheap place to stay in Moab and do not care much about amenities, this is your place. The rooms are run down and the bath house had sinks that were stopped up and quite nasty. However it was SUPER cheap. We were honestly afraid to use their pillows so we used our own personal ones we brought from home on this trip. I will say that I am a hotel snob and my wife grew up in staying in these types of places. She loved the place as it was "eccentric" and "fun"... I am used to nicer places so I was a bit creeped out. If you are up to paying $30 for a night and you are willing to look past a little grime and age, this is a magnificent place for you. If you are expecting a motel 6, you are NOT getting anywhere close to that.... we stayed at the holiday inn the next night for $100/night and it was 10,000 times better!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Well this is something that we have known for many years. The world can be divided into two classes of people: those who love The Lazy Lizard and those who would rather spend $100 and stay at the Holiday Inn. We have no qualms with those who would rather stay at the Holiday Inn. We just wish they would quit staying with us and then writing bad reviews.
At least PricklyPear admitted that his wife loved the place and at least gave us a three dot rating.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Kailua, Hawaii, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Ah, Lazy Lizard. Let me say this is a very comfy, homey place to hang out. I absolutely loved the "hangout" factor. Nothing like sitting on the wooden bench by my room door, soaking up the heat with a cold beer in the courtyard, after mountain biking all day. What can I say, it was low cost and fun. A few "roughing" moments, but overall not bad at all. In fact some features are hard to beat otherwise, such as close proximity to SlickRock, RimTours (which I was doing tours with). Fairly close to Chili Pepper bike shop as well. Showers were hot and there was toliet paper, what else does one need LOL ?

Remember this is a hostel, there are shared bath area for toliet and showers. It was a bit noisy at times, depending on the clientele, but usually decent.

There's TV, internet, and kitchen in the main house for all to use. Usually people hanging out and chatting. BBQ's available for people to cook as well. Ample parking.

This was a no hassle place, Scott, the owner, was very cool, and understand he's quite a musician in the area, which I was unable to hear...maybe next time. It's a bit run-down, but it's a great bargain for what you get. Put away your white gloves, and be prepared for being a bit flexible, and you will love the joint.

Room Tip: bring ear plugs in case it's noisy, flip flops or some easy footwear for the trips to the bath h...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This hostel was the only place available to stay for two friends and I on a recent trip to Moab. The only reason I would give this place three "stars" was because of price, which was less than half of any hotel room in town. Otherwise is was pretty run down and dirty. There were large spots on the sheets and when we asked for new sheets the desk attendant said that many of the sheets have oil stains on them. Basically if there were some minor maintenance done on the place it would be great, but if it keeps getting worn down and not maintained it is going to keep going down hill.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Rapid City, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

If your looking for an inexpensive room this is the place for you! We stayed there for about 5 days. The price of our whole stay would have been 1-2 nights at a regular hotel. And when you are in Moab who spends time in the room anyways??Everyone is very friendly, front desk to the other people staying at the hostel. It is set up like the dorms back in college. We had a private room and all shared a bathroom. Everyone staying there seemed to respect each other and did there part to not leave bathroom a mess. I was happy with the stay and would recommend it to anyone passing through.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

The Lazy Lizard Hostel is the best value for your money. We have been to Moab to visit Arches a handful of times in the last few years since moving to the region and I ALWAYS dread staying in the super 8 or other random motels. FINALLY on this last trip, we found out there was a hostel and were super happy to rent a one room cabin for about $30.

It WAS a little cold but it was also winter. We aren't high maintenance and the small heater and some extra blankets were enough for us. That said-- I definitely know people who I would not invite to stay here because they're comfort needs are much higher.

A simple place to rest your head before a hike in the park the next day!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Victor, Idaho, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I had a private room. When I drew back the sheets I noticed lots of black hair on the pillow cases and sheets. Kind of gross. There was also a huge hole in the top sheet.... I went down the street to ALCO and purchased blankets to sleep with. I found someone's old hiking sock in the room as well. Not very well cleaned...
The showers were hot and bathrooms were cleaner than the room. I guess that is the nicest thing I can say.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Darn. Sorry about that. This is not what we expect guests to find when they stay with us. The sock and the sheet with holes is just not OK. The cleaning staff generally does a better job than this. It has been brought to their attention and the laundry staff has been instructed to not use sheets full of holes.
As for the hair on the sheets, I have been perplexed by this. I thought that we had figured out this one decades ago. The dryer sheets that we use have been working very well for eliminating this very thing. After asking all around I discovered that one of the people who does some of our laundry was not using the dryer sheets. This person has been properly flogged.
This should take care of it, but if anyone ever finds a hair on their sheet again, please just let us know and we will be glad to make up your bed with a clean set.
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

The Lazy Lizard is very unique in the world of hosteling in the United States. It has to be the cheapest hostel I have frequented in this country. It has a great common area with games, magazine, books, tv, computer, etc. The staff was friendly and laid back. It could use a few improvements, though. Much of the place is a bit run down; as a rule, this does not concern me, but there were so many little things they could have done that I felt it did detract a bit from the overall place. It is a little bit of a distance from downtown, so a car is necessary. One final critique is the beds: squeaky metal bunk beds that squeak and creak with every move. Metal bunk beds should always be a no go for hostels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lazy Lizard International Hostel? Share your experiences!