“awesome colo river trip for the whole family..so worth it!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: No longer simply a rafting company, Red River Adventures is a leader in Moab multi-sport vacations! Don't be fooled by others offering "one stop" shopping only to be shuffled among the true providers once you arrive. We are the only guide service in town that holds permits to guide river, canyoneering, rock climbing, SUP and National Parks trips in house. On land or water our guides can do almost everything. For those trips we can't run ourselves, we've teamed up with some of Moab's best and will let you know, in advance, who will be guiding you. For one day or more we've got something for everyone!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
tampa
“awesome colo river trip for the whole family..so worth it!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2009

our family(me, hubby, 14 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl) went on an overnight trip in mid august with red river adventures....it was awesome! there were 2 other families on the trip..so it was a great way to meet other families..one was local and the other family from holland (we are from FL)..the guides were so knowledgable about the river...we had rafted before and the river was lower so we opted for duckies..and that was a blast! the guides were aware of windy conditions on the first day..so gave us the option of shortening day one and lengthening day 2 ..and we took it and we were glad.(i have been on a windy trip before with another company and it was horrible) they offered to take us to see some sights on day one prior to launching so we chose a local resort/museum/ winery right on the river. very good and something for everyone to enjoy! we were able to bring some local (and wonderful) wine on our trip for the evening meal. went to the launch site where we ate a goumet (YUM) lunch .....and launched. i must say if you like to eat real fresh gourmet food....this is the trip for you..there is great food, and alot of it! no hot dogs here! when we camped, they found the most beautiful spot ..it was a sandy beach..and very roomy for us to spead out (tent wise)...huge, really. there was a small cliff you could climb up and REALLY enjoy the view. the weather cooperated and we saw a great sunset. dinner was incredible...grilled chicken an portabello mushrooms with pasta in a homemade creamy pesto...with our wine..wow! plus we had appetizers and snacks for the kids, too! AND dessert..choc brownie cake..baked in a dutch oven.. truly spoiled. te sky had so many stars..i was surreal! dont get me wrong...the river rafting was great, too! we are able to switch from duckies to raft to give eveyone the full experience. the guides had so many facts about the rock formations, river, techniques and safety, movies filmed in that area..and even games between us..it was one of our mot memorable experiences we have done as a family..and a bargain for the $!! i highly recommend this trip! i recommend while in moab, go to arches natl park and the moab brewery rest, too!

Park City, Utah
“Second time as good as the first.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2009

We did a climbing trip in March with Red River but the weather was a bit too cold for rafting.

We returned in August and are happy that we did. The river was a bit low so we used a combination of raft and inflatable kayaks on our trip. What a blast the kayaks were!

We had different guides then those on our climbing trip and they were as fun and informative as our first ones.

Another great day with Red River adventures. Can’t wait for our next visit to Moab.

Utah
“They almost DROWNED my partner and I”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

I booked a rafting trip for my partner and I. (I have been on 10+in my life, my partners first time) They didn't tell us until we were at the river that there weren't enough spots on the raft so we would have to go into an inflatable kayak. Neither one of us had ever been in one and the guides gave us no instrutions and launched us into the river. After some protests we got a basic tutorial, 'just paddle', not very helpful. There were two guides in kayaks who spent the whole time mucking about together, ignoring the group. They were always ahead and never bothered to check in with anyone. They convinced all of us to race through two rocks, our kayak crashed against another and I was almost sucked into a whirlpool, I have never felt that close to drowning. The guy in the other boat cut his eye open. Once it was over and we were finally on dry land there weren't enough seats in the van to drive back into town. The guides hitchicked back and some of the guests had to sit on the floor.
The worst organised and unsafest river trip I have ever been on

riverpeople, Owner at Red River Adventures - Day Tours, responded to this review, October 23, 2009
It saddens me to hear that someone came away from a day with us feeling like this.
There was an error, on our end, committed during the reservation process that caused the root of this problem, too many kayaks and too few seats available. For the 2010 season we are implementing a new system which will eliminate issues like this. This is inexcusable and I have nothing to say except that I’m sorry that this occurred and we are doing everything in our power to not have something like this happen again.
I do however want to address the issues of safety and interaction that were brought up in the review. I take great pride in the fact that we have NEVER had a serious injury on ANY of our trips EVER. Before the eye in question was cut (it required a Band-Aid) the worst thing that has happened on our trips was a stubbed toe. The cut was a result of the guest hitting himself with his paddle. While I’m absolutely sure that the reviewer may have felt like she was in danger when she “almost” got sucked into a whirlpool and that she felt she was “close to drowning” the reality was that she was perfectly safe, floating in a PFD being watched over by several experienced, licensed guides. Kayaks bump together and people fall into the river fairly often. If this posed a threat to the health and welfare of our clients I wouldn’t allow it to happen. We don’t run Kayaks or paddle rafts on Westwater (class IV) because there is real danger. We let our guides row the boats to control the risk.
In the last 30 years the Fisher Towers river section where this occurred (class II this time of year) has seen close to 1 million commercial guests and no commercial guest has EVER drowned. We do extensive rescue and safety training each spring, our guides are the finest on the river when it comes to Whitewater rescue. It is precisely for these reasons that we are able to use smaller rafts and Inflatable Kayaks on this trip, to provide an experience that is thrilling for the guest and at the same time safe. It is a fine line we walk every day between conveying a perception of danger, boredom, and safety. I’m sorry that in this instance we fell off that line.
In addition I’m also unsure of how guides who were “always ahead of the group” can at the same time convince kayakers to race between rocks. The rocks in question, the dragon’s teeth, are part of New Rapid and we run between those rocks everyday of the summer. Sometimes people do swim. I allow this to happen because immediately downstream there is deep calm water where folks can get back into their kayaks or be picked up by waiting rafts.
The guides mentioned are responsible for setting the pace of the trip. We work hard so that our trips look like we are on “river time” enjoying the day and letting the river do the work. The reality is that we do have a schedule to keep and the guides mentioned are responsible for setting the pace of the day. Late in the season, when this trip occurred, it is sometimes necessary for the lead boat to spend time ahead of the group in order to keep everyone moving along. Sometimes our kayaking guests will stick close to the lead boats; sometimes they fall back and mingle with our rafts. We try and allow folk some freedom to experience part of the trip on their own terms.
I do admit we made an error in organization that should have been caught and corrected. It was not our best day. I take exception to the idea that we were, in anyway, unsafe or unprofessional on the water.
madrid
“Great Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

We took a Fisher Towers 2 days rafting trip, after very extensive researching in internet. I have to say the experience was fantastic.

We went with two kids ages 7 and 9 and I have to say the trip in length and river experience was just absolutely right for them. We went with another two persons (one a kid) wisely matched with us by the company. My kids had a terrific time and so did us.

The scenery is absolutely breath taking. Our guides were professional, nice and knowledgeable. They were really great with the kids. Thank you very much to them.

We had absolutely no previous camping experience and had also a great experience in that area.

We took the rafting trip in the middle of a road trip around the South of Utah and although it is difficult to choose it was one of our family's favorite part.

After our trip we intend on taking another maybe longer one next year. Really worth doing.

Colorado
“Great trip on Colorado River”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2009

We did a full day trip on a 6-person raft in late August with Red River Adventures, and would highly recommend this company to anyone seeking a relaxed, fun outing in incredible country. This is a smaller, family-run operation that sends out smaller boats (with the option for taking duckies if you feel like kayaking) with great, friendly, knowledgeable guides. Because Red River uses smaller rafts, our 4-person group had the boat to itself, and access to a great little beach for lunch that the larger tour groups in big rafts couldn't access. We were alone on the river for the most part (granted it was off-season on a Friday), but we did pass an enormous group of 30 or so guests in an fleet of hulking boats -- and couldn't have been happier to be a small, nimble unit at that moment! The river was fairly low this time of year, but still had plenty of fun Class II rapids and great swimming along side the raft (not to mention the amazing canyon scenery). Was a perfect outing for a group of first-time and slightly more experienced rafters combined (though an earlier season trip would bump it up a notch or two on the adrenaline meter). It's really worth supporting these guys if you are looking for a participatory experience on a paddle boat or ducky, and don't want to be one of the masses on a larger trip. Plus, Carl and Tanya were really responsive, friendly and easy to work with, making scheduling and logistics a piece of cake. Highly recommended.

Been to Red River Adventures - Day Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Red River Adventures - Day Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.