“Just sorry we missed the dining” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn

Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Appomattox
Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn
You added Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
106 Oakleigh Ave., Rt. 6, Box 1421, Appomattox, VA 24522   |
Ranked #1 of 4 Appomattox B&B and Inns
Philadelphia PA
“Just sorry we missed the dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My husband and I cycled through central Virginia and happened to stay here on a Monday night, when their dining room isn't open. The B&B room was lovely, with bucolic views and nice furnishings. Sheila was most hospitable, recommending other options for dinner in Appomattox and accommodating our bicycles. Judging from the wonderful breakfast, I'm just sorry we couldn't have been there on an evening when they served dinner.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Maryville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

While reading reviews on Trip Advisor today I ran across a very negative review of the Babcock House B&B in Appomattox, Va. I would like to state that I feel the need to disagree with this review. I found this to be a beautiful place with wonderful food. I also attended a wedding there. I have attended many weddings, but found this venue to be perfect. The food prepared for the reception was delicious, the presentation was beautiful, and the service was outstanding. Perfect Perfect Perfect place for any event.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ohio, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

We had dinner at the Babcock House one evening during our stay in Appomattox. We were staying at another B&B in the area (Longacre) and the proprietor there suggested Babcock as the best place for dinner in the area. She was right!

Dinner is by reservation, and the Babcock is not open for dinner every night (closed on Monday for certain). We visited on a Tuesday evening in early September, and had the best meal of our little road trip through Virginia.

We arrived a little early for our reservation, so we had time for a drink on the covered porch. I’m a beer drinker and they do not have an extensive selection of beers, as you might expect of a small establishment, but there was Sam Adams Lager, so all was well. Our server, Edward, was friendly, courteous and prompt…he was also the only server, but there were only 3 tables to work with a total of 5 patrons for this evening, so he handled it all easily.

The dining area we were seated in was small… cozy is a better term. There was an older couple already seated when my Mom and I arrived, and another lady came in a bit later. Because of the setting, we could easily chat across the tables, and we did have a bit of friendly banter and discussion on the menu and the meals.

I was amazed at the variety on the menu for such a small place, particularly in light of the fact that there were only 5 folks dining at Babcock that evening. That did not seem to be an issue, however, as I know that there were at least different entrees server. Mom had the salmon and I had the crab cakes and both were excellent. The lady who came in last had the pork special and it was huge. We all joked that we would gladly take a taste to help her finish her dinner. The main point is that the food was exceptional, and that is from all five patrons who were dining there the evening we visited.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed in the room named Rebecca. The B&B is wonderful! The food was amazing! Friendly and helpful owners. Had a wonderful time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed at another establishment that high recommended the Babcock House Restaurant and where we found the food to be exceptional! When we inquired if they had a tavern at their location, they stated that they didn't have one but offered to have us enjoy the porch while we waited for our seating time. Upon arrival we selected a nice red wine from Italy while we relaxed on the porch - furniture is very comfortable. The Babcock House was built in the 1800's and has been fully restored using furnishings of that period. Once seated for dinner, we found the menu to be extensive in variety of selections. My wife had the ribs and I had steak - we were very pleased and we could see that the chef knew his way very well around the kitchen. My wife noticed that the kitchen was spotless when they opened the door and the food was fabulous! Service was equally good and we would return again the next time we visited Appomattox!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Whitsett, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Service very good, staff friendly and helpful. Rooms clean. Will stay again when we revisit area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Southern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

My wife and I visited Appomattox in June and decided to stay at the Babcock House. The house is located on a nice piece of property across the street from a school, but the town that Saturday night was very quiet, which I suspect is the case most nights. We arrived just before 6 PM, which is within B&B's the 3 - 6 PM check-in window. However, they were preparing for dinner that evening (a restaurant is part of the property), so we were quickly shown our room and handed the key; business like, not the warmth expected at a B&B. The room was very nice, clean and the bed firm, but very comfortable. The house was furnished in turn of the century antiques. We had dinner reservations at the house that night and enjoyed a nice meal; nicely prepared and very substantial. It was nice to relax at dinner in the house instead of running around town looking for a place to eat. The only downside to dinner was our server, who was either new or not very good at the job. He kept forgetting to refill the water glass, brought us the wrong meal, and was generally unattentive in a very small dining room. Breakfast included coffee, juice, water, a fruit bowl, an omlette, and toast. Once again, very good food served in a business like manner - very little interaction with the inn keepers.

Overall, if you want a nice experience and don't mind the business like atmosphere, then the Babcock House is for you. Plus, it is one of the very few places to stay in Appomattox.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!